I've had a dream - Utopia is somewhere in Scotland

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The site nestles in a valley between the mountains on three sides and the shore of a sea loch on the fourth.
Warmed by the Gulf Stream to provide an almost sub tropical micro climate, it only ever rains at night and most days are caressed by gentle sunlight.
By day - especially at dawn - deer and a huge array of bird-life can be seen drinking at the water 's edge whilst, all around the site, there is a vivid display of colourful wild flora. Dolphins frolic in the waves and sea otters abound in the streams that tumble down the mountain slopes.
Water percolating through the granite rocks of the mountains is individually piped to each pitch and tastes like nectar. EHU's are free thanks to abundant power produced by a never ending generation combination of hydro-elctricity, solar panels and wave technology.
Site fees are £5.00 per night. Credit cards not accepted.
The site owners, produce a local whiskey, a couple of drams of which is included in the daily site fees. ( They don't have a licence to sell it.). Words to describe it simply do not exist. Mere words could not do it justice.
The loch itself is teeming with fish but the owners impose a '2 salmon a day' limit on campers in the interest of conservation. However, there is no limit on mackerel.
By night, the complete lack of light pollution provides a unique opportunity to star-gaze, while, at the same time, taking in the soporific effect of the hooting of owls and the sound of the breeze sighing through the pine forest which also impart a refreshing scent into the night air.
Welcome to Utopia!
The only problem is that I don't know where it is!
If anyone recognises the site from my description, could they please contact me direct and not post it on this forum. It;s not that I don't want to share my Utopia with anyone else, you understand, My interests are purely altruistic.

Now, back to reality.
I'm going to Scotland in August.. My first visit by caravan. I see that there are not a great number of sites. and that there could be quite a distance between them, particularly in the Highlands. I don't want to constrict my travels by booking in advance.
Am I going to find it difficult to find a pitch?.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
oldagetraveller1 said:
The site nestles in a valley between the mountains on three sides and the shore of a sea loch on the fourth.
Warmed by the Gulf Stream to provide an almost sub tropical micro climate, it only ever rains at night and most days are caressed by gentle sunlight.
By day - especially at dawn - deer and a huge array of bird-life can be seen drinking at the water 's edge whilst, all around the site, there is a vivid display of colourful wild flora. Dolphins frolic in the waves and sea otters abound in the streams that tumble down the mountain slopes.
Water percolating through the granite rocks of the mountains is individually piped to each pitch and tastes like nectar. EHU's are free thanks to abundant power produced by a never ending generation combination of hydro-elctricity, solar panels and wave technology.
Site fees are £5.00 per night. Credit cards not accepted.
The site owners, produce a local whiskey, a couple of drams of which is included in the daily site fees. ( They don't have a licence to sell it.). Words to describe it simply do not exist. Mere words could not do it justice.
The loch itself is teeming with fish but the owners impose a '2 salmon a day' limit on campers in the interest of conservation. However, there is no limit on mackerel.
By night, the complete lack of light pollution provides a unique opportunity to star-gaze, while, at the same time, taking in the soporific effect of the hooting of owls and the sound of the breeze sighing through the pine forest which also impart a refreshing scent into the night air.
Welcome to Utopia!
The only problem is that I don't know where it is!
If anyone recognises the site from my description, could they please contact me direct and not post it on this forum. It;s not that I don't want to share my Utopia with anyone else, you understand, My interests are purely altruistic.

Now, back to reality.
I'm going to Scotland in August.. My first visit by caravan. I see that there are not a great number of sites. and that there could be quite a distance between them, particularly in the Highlands. I don't want to constrict my travels by booking in advance.
Am I going to find it difficult to find a pitch?.

You might find some difficulty if you are looking for sites on the NC 500 route. That is being marketed very heavily and the number touring the NC 500 has grown considerably. So if you are considering that area it might be worth advance booking.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Och aye, hes had a dream which conveniently left out the midgies. Said site of Utopia is somewhere close to the the area the Border Reivers habited, who have now graduated to reiving Aquarolls, cycles and anything else caravan related, easily disposed of on Ebay.

By the end of the second night, the sound of the owl has lost its attraction, and the plaintiff sound of "shut up you ******* "can now be heard. :cheer:

The water percolating through the granite rocks of the mountains is individually piped to each pitch and tastes like nectar. It also glows in the dark and contains mercury. Your hair and teeth fall out, unless you are an experienced caravanner, in which case they fell out long ago.

Site fees are £5.00 per night is a myth. No self respecting scot would charge so little if there was a chance of squeezing much much much more. The dolphins are actually sharks, and being scottish sharks, hate the English. The complete lack of light pollution at night is also a myth, you just cant see it for the fog, and/or clouds of midgies.

And btw, the soporific effect usually is a by product of over indulging in the hooch that the warden brews in his bath.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thingy said:
Och aye, hes had a dream which conveniently left out the midgies. Said site of Utopia is somewhere close to the the area the Border Reivers habited, who have now graduated to reiving Aquarolls, cycles and anything else caravan related, easily disposed of on Ebay.

By the end of the second night, the sound of the owl has lost its attraction, and the plaintiff sound of "shut up you ******* "can now be heard. :cheer:

The water percolating through the granite rocks of the mountains is individually piped to each pitch and tastes like nectar. It also glows in the dark and contains mercury. Your hair and teeth fall out, unless you are an experienced caravanner, in which case they fell out long ago.

Site fees are £5.00 per night is a myth. No self respecting scot would charge so little if there was a chance of squeezing much much much more. The dolphins are actually sharks, and being scottish sharks, hate the English. The complete lack of light pollution at night is also a myth, you just cant see it for the fog, and/or clouds of midgies.

And btw, the soporific effect usually is a by product of over indulging in the hooch that the warden brews in his bath.

Made me :lol: Thingy, thank you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There should be no problem finding sites but do ring ahead. Be warned though that the internet might not be there on more remote sites so have details of sites in printed form although e3ven then mobiles might not work either. What you will always get is a warm welcome but not at £5 a night and the whisky will probably be distilled down the road.
Just come and play it by ear and provided you do not want the delights of Blackpool then you should be happy.
History, outdoors and peace and quiet are on offer. Ignore the peace and quiet bit though if you use at Strathclyde Park though.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Last time we were down Europe we ran out of Skin So Soft and got a local one called Spanish Fly. Didnt half hurt my back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts