Jack-knifed car and caravan in Cornwall.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I suspect a bad case of instability. The LMC caravan may have been too heavy or badly loaded for what is a relative light Volvo Estate. Fortunate no one injured.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hope he didn't read a recent thread and try and do emergency stop with a caravan on the back , joke aside , it's not nice when your pass an accident though .

Craig

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
seen an outfit snake last week on the M56.
large twin axle sprite behind a Q3. went several times across the 3 lanes, came back under control and continued on at 65mph as if nothing had occurred!

Kev

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
If that was me , i think i would off been filling my pants and the wife would have been smacking me all over !! They done well to get out of that . That has got to be the most horriblest road in England as we went down there last year and it was not that empty ! I was in bumper to bumper traffic with my engine off !!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Interesting to note the Truck Drivers comments that the tugger didn't seem to know what to do in the emergency / snake.
It is so important to appreciate your vehicles limitations and handling characteristics. Especially how it feels in an emergency stop ;)
It is essential to watch your speed on a decent . B) Too fast looks the probable cause here.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Volvo driver towing the LMC caravan had no towing mirrors and no rear number plate on the caravan.
I might be totally wrong, but I can't help wondering if the driver was a leisure / holiday caravanner, or a member of the traveling community who I often see in the third lane of motorways breaking the speed limit? :whistle:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Interesting to note the Truck Drivers comments that the tugger didn't seem to know what to do in the emergency / snake.
It is so important to appreciate your vehicles limitations and handling characteristics. Especially how it feels in an emergency stop ;)
It is essential to watch your speed on a decent . B) Too fast looks the probable cause here.

Agree your comments about descent speed. In France autoroutes and some dual carriageway RN have signs instructing towing vehicles to reduce speed to a lower limit. Personally I avoid overtakes going down hill even though I have never felt any of my outfits to be at risk of instability.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
Craigyoung said:
I find the worst hgv's to overtake are car transporters

Why Craig?
What are the effects from car transporters.

Cheers,
John

I do admit that I have noticed a fair bit of buffetting from Car Transporters, I tend not to bother overtaking HGV's unless the are doing about 50 mph. Had a very nasty snake being stupid, going passed a Flat sider, thankfully the Alko ATC kicked in and sorted out the snake. Just sit back and take it easy and watch your caravan balance.

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
Parksy said:
The Volvo driver towing the LMC caravan had no towing mirrors and no rear number plate on the caravan.
I might be totally wrong, but I can't help wondering if the driver was a leisure / holiday caravanner, or a member of the traveling community who I often see in the third lane of motorways breaking the speed limit? :whistle:

Going through the video in slow motion and full screen, it looks like the DM has blurred out the number plate on the caravan and the car - and the driver!
As for the mirrors, it is a bit difficult to see.

This happened just after the turn off to Scorrier - close to Penrose Touring caravan sales.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Anseo said:
Craigyoung said:
I find the worst hgv's to overtake are car transporters

Why Craig?
What are the effects from car transporters.

Cheers,
John
turbulence lots of it. a normal HGV like a curtain sider is just a big box the air goes over the top and down the sides creating a vortex and while this can have some effect on a following unit most of it is dispersed by the aerodynamics of the car and van following.
however a car transporter isn't a big box. the cars it is carrying create there own air movement in all different directions each one disrupted by the next car on the trailer and the one above or below this creates mini vortexes in all different directions and has a greater effect on the unit behind..

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Funny you should say that; I'd always just put it down to other circumstances, but I've noticed this of late and the only snaking incident I've ever had was passing a transporter on the M5

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
philip_stevens said:
Parksy said:

Going through the video in slow motion and full screen, it looks like the DM has blurred out the number plate on the caravan and the car - and the driver!
As for the mirrors, it is a bit difficult to see.

This happened just after the turn off to Scorrier - close to Penrose Touring caravan sales.

I was referring to the first picture, not the video involving the Mitsubishi in Cornwall

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Something that stands out for me in these posts is that here in Scotland, traveling with no number plate on a trailer would see the police pull you over in a very short time, the police do not ignore a lack of extended mirrors but there is less chance of being pulled over than a missing trailer number plate, I don't know why that is.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the number plate point as the front one has been blurred out and rear might have been deleted by the paper. Travellers would go for this make of caravan, but there should be a Transit pick up on the front..
I cannot see exact models of car and caravan involved but I do wonder if the car was not heavy enough for the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It looks like a Volvo 850 but could be a 700 series. The photo isn't that clear but it looks to be a 6 cylinder which both 850 and 700 series had. Both not particularly heavy kerb weight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts