Jaguar X Type Electrics

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
I want to wire up a single 12N Socket to my new 2007 Jaguar x Type Saloon. I have wired sockets to various cars in the past by simply connecting the 7 core into the loom in the boot. I am a bit concerned as I have been reading about "Multiplex" systems on some new cars which require special wiring and relays. Can anyone tell me please if this is the case with my Jag or can I just tap into the loom in the normal way? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Robert.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert, due to the unbelievable complexity of new cars, I should leave well alone, and contact your nearest Jaguar dealer, and pay through the nose, but you will retain your warranty, and the car will function as intended. The other alternative is a professional tow bar fitter. I really would not do it yourself, unless of course, you are a towbar fitter!

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Robert, I had a towbar fitted to my S-Type a couple of years ago at a professional towbar fitting garage. The owner showed me the choice of towbars but said that a special relay was required because of all the electrical checks the car does automatically. Apparently after 20mins or so a complete check of the electrics is done by the car's computers and if the correct electrics for the towbar are not fitted all sorts of problems can happen.

HTH.

Graeme.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Robert

Lots of modern cars have bulb failure warning systems, and if you tap into those circuits directly, you will almost certainly have problems. Like you I have always fitted my own, but didn't attempt this with my BMW. I used an independent firm, and discovered that they were fitting the self same Bosal bars for the main BMW dealership. Going direct of course saves plenty!

It is also evident that the pros have discovered all sorts of model related quirks that you are unlikely to know about

The 2 relays I had fitted were from here:

www.rydertowing.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ello Robert

I have to be brutally honest, and say that if you need to ask such a question then you should be asking the supplier of you car who should know the technicalities vehicle inside out.

It is unwise to seek technical answers from a forum whose contributors could be perfectly professional, but could also be misguided amateurs. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Don't forget that even 12V systems have more than enough potential to cause fires if the job is not done properly.

Protect your manufacturers warranty, and have the job done properly. - then if it does go wrong you at least have a comeback on the fitting company.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
ello Robert

I have to be brutally honest, and say that if you need to ask such a question then you should be asking the supplier of you car who should know the technicalities vehicle inside out.

It is unwise to seek technical answers from a forum whose contributors could be perfectly professional, but could also be misguided amateurs. You have no way of knowing which is which.

Don't forget that even 12V systems have more than enough potential to cause fires if the job is not done properly.

Protect your manufacturers warranty, and have the job done properly. - then if it does go wrong you at least have a comeback on the fitting company.
....which is precisely what I said four days ago!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts