Jeep Cherokee Spare wheel problem

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read with interest the problems with Freelander spare wheels. Unfortunately removing the handle on the Alko stabiliser doesnt help with a Jeep Cherokee as the remaining metal handle still catches the spare wheel.

If I can hitch up on a dead level surface and with the car perfectly in line with the caravan sometimes I can hitch and unhitch the Alko. But this isn't always possible, nor is opening the rear door.

The only sure fire way is to remove the spare wheel completely, but then I have to remount it before setting off as the spare wheel carrier actually fastens on the wheel.

I've thought about changing the Alko for a Winterhoff, which would work as the lever is set further back than the Alko. However the local dealer says I shouldn't fit a Winterhoff to an Alko chassis (van is a Bailey Pageant Loire).

Any suggestions anyone?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can think of no good reason why a Winterhoff stabiliser should not be fitted to an AlKo chassis.
Thanks Lutz. The Winterhoff web site certainly doesn't say you can't. A member of staff at Wandahome said a Winterhoff could interfere with a "gas strut" type handbrake on a Alko chassis.

My other option is to change the car but a Winterhoff would be a damn sight cheaper!!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Peter we have a Shogun, had the Mitsubishi tow bar fitted it had two positions for the tow ball one 1" further forward than the other which gave us just enough clearance.

I am sure you can by a spacer to fit behind the ball but not sure if this will give you enough clearance on the Jeep but worth a try.

NigelH

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Peter we have a Shogun, had the Mitsubishi tow bar fitted it had two positions for the tow ball one 1" further forward than the other which gave us just enough clearance.

I am sure you can by a spacer to fit behind the ball but not sure if this will give you enough clearance on the Jeep but worth a try.

NigelH
Thanks Nigel.

I've actually got a detachable towball which is a long swan neck. So I can't get a spacer behind the ball.

The plus side of it was that you don't have to get the special Alko towball if you have a swan neck.

I don't think the towbar frame can be moved further back but I'll have a look. Another inch or so would solve the problem I think

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts