jeep commander

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
does anyone have any experience of towing with a jeep commander.Thinking of buying one.Have had one on demo.It is a beutifull car to drive solo albeit the suspension does feel a bit spongey.It tends to wallow side to side on A and B roads.Like the car a lot but am a little apprehensive untill i know what it will be like with a caravn/horse trailer on the back.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

RJC

Jul 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garry

I have had a Jeep Commander since March and have been away in the caravan with it towing about 4 or 5 times now. The last outing was a 2 week break in Belgium, Luxembourg and Holland.

The Commander tows our twin wheeled Bailey Wyoming with ease. On motorway journeys I set the cruise control and it really is a dream.

When we returned from the continent and drove back up to Scotland from Hull it was extremely windy (particularly over the A66) but it coped magnificently.

Likewise it has coped with the "Lecht" (this is a notorious road in Scotland that includes the Cockbridge to Tomintoul stretch which is the first to get blocked by snow every winter). The Lecht has some really steep climbs which in the past solo cars have struggled with but again no problem with the Commander.

I got the "entertainment pack" which includes the sat nav and while I am very careful with sat nav it got us to our camp sites on holiday (I didn't trust it with the site in Delft in Holland as it seemed to be sending us into a housing estate with narrow roads - but I should have trusted it as that was indeed the way to the caravan site - we discovered after 3 "old ladies" in their car took pity on us when we asked for directions and "led" is to the caravan site.

The only down side probably is fuel consumption - not that I measure it but I am sure we are getting less than my previous car a Chrysler Grand Voyager with a 3.3 litre petrol engine. Still you don't buy a car like this and expect 40 mile+ to the gallon.

I am used to driving big cars (MPVs and 4x4s) and I don;t think it wallows too much.

Also I have had an off-road day courtesy of Jeep (in one of their cars not mine!!) and I think the Commander is a better car off road than the land rover (but I've only had one experience of that).

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know but I have no regrets about buying the Commander and the bonus is the admiring glances and comments that you get.

Cheers

RichardC

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gary

I would agree totally with Richard.

I have had my Commander since November last year. I have been to France and varius places in the UK.

The Commander copes with every kind of road with ease and the bonus is all the admireing looks you get.

To finish go buy one you wont be disapointed.....

Colin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts