Jeep Grand Cherokee - Worrying Fault

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi I have a 2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0 ltr Diesel and have just experienced a fault that actually causes me to worry should it ever happen again.

Apparently there is a little module called the TCS (I believe not Traction, but Throttle Control System) this basically monitors traction, engine etc - if you loose traction it reduces engine power or shifts drive from wheel to wheel ?

Anyway it failed two weeks ago - my concern is what happens when it fails !

Basically it switches the engine off, I was lucky as I was only doing 30mph in a built up area, but as it is an automatic transmission the car decelerated instantly - no time to dip the clutch and keep rolling + of course no engine so no power steering which made the wheel almost impossible to turn.

My concern is what would have happened if I had been in the third lane of the motorway overtaking a line of traffic with other cars behind me - it would have stopped as if I had stepped on the brakes, but with no warning brake lights + I would have been unable to get across to the hard shoulder (it would have become stationary in a much shorter distance than that).

As soon as the technician saw the fault light - he just said "Oh thats terminal - will need to get you a recovery vehicle"

I wonder has anyone had similar happen to them ? The dealer said not a common fault (they would) and agreed that it doesn't seem the cleverest system as it a)Gives no warning & b)Provides no 'Limp mode' to enable you to get off the road as it just kills the engine dead.

I understand that the engine is a Mercedes V6 and I do know it was a major job to replace the module as they had to remove the Turbocharger to even access it.

As someone who's engine knowledge stopped with the old BMC A&B Series pushrod engines this seems crazy to me !

Anyone had similar experiences or have any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers

Jon

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnnyV

I had a freelander a few years ago & that went into limp-u-home mode, at the time I had been into a quarry to collect my broken down trials bike on the trailer, I had got going down the road about 5 miles when it happened ... no throttle response at all.. it's a bit awkward when its fly-by-wire.. I was about 30 miles from home on A & B road's doing a max of 30mph..I went down a big hill hit a huge pothole.. everything back to normal.. took it in the next morning & they plugged it onto the diagnostics.. no fault showing.. after talking to various people the gest of the problem was it's to do with the traction control, which works with the ABS system ... the thought's at the time were muck / crud round a brake sensor... very nerve racking when it happened. . glad it did not happen on the motorway.. was glad to get shut & get something with a throttle cable back on.. there are too many electronics built into modern cars .. my wife has a 300tdi Discovery.. yes its getting on a bit now but it's easy to fix :eek:)

.. so we will be keeping it...

Sproket

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Johnny,

i have a 2006 CRD Overland Grand Cheroee and have had no problems HOWEVER !!!!!!!!!

follow this link and you will see that from 2007 you are not alone.

I would seriously suggest joining this club as it is superb.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/calling-all-2007-wk-diesel-crd-owners-527742/
Let us know if this is the same problem and then contact MERLIN on the Jeep site and ask for his advice. He is a Jeep Master Technician based in the UK and is BRILLIANT!

Take care Darryl

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Daryl,

Thank you for the tips - the site comments are now scaring me (at least it hasn't cost me money as its still under warranty) - I think mine might be the same fault because the dealer did mumble something about crankshaft sensor (I had a cam sensor play up on a Vauxhall Omega once that used to do this) - the symptoms seem the same, will turnover but not fire, and then later will start run for about a mile and then do the same again.

They tell me that they have fitted an improved 'black box' so shouldn't happen again ???

I think sprocket is right - "Fly by Wire" - great when it works, a nightmare when it plays up!

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Hi

I have a MB V6 diesel and it was subject to a safety recall for something that sounded very similar to your fault, ie a sensor that could fail causing loss of power. The recall was aranged in conjunction with the DVLA as it was a safety issue. I would look towards reporting this to the appropriate goverment dept, sorry dont know exactly which one, but it might get a recall organised

Dave

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Good point - I wonder who ?

I really think it is a major safety issue - reduction in power I could accept but simply cutting the engine dead seems a step too far?

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Johnny V,

These were the comments made by Merlin ( Jeep Master Technician)so i would start with this info first.

Hi

The Chrysler safety recall number is H02 with a recall part number of CBA1H020 (looked it up) so can't check for the same part number as in our TSB 05175763AB but suspect it is and the affected vehicles WK built before june 12 2007 XH before march 28 2007 see TSB http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_0900407.pdf if it was mine I would get it changed recall or not. The ones I have had with this fault there is no warning the engine just stops but may restart when cooled down.

Regards,

Merlin

UK Chrysler Jeep Master Tec.

I wouldn't let it put you off the vehicle, i would just het it sorted and tell your dealer to check Merlins recommendations first.

Darryl

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Daryl,

Thanks for the advice - this forum is great, there is always someone out there with the answer (have joined the Jeep forum)- much appreciate your efforts !

I haven't let it put me off the car - it is an absolutely great tow car, I pull a 26' Lunar Delta T/A and with an 81% match it will storm up hills and feels absolutely in control.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have found the letter now that relates to the MB recall.It was the crankshaft sensor that was replaced and the letter did say that if the electrical fault occoured the engine would lose power and not be able to restart. The recall was monitored by VOSA (the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) part of the Department of Transport.

Your problem sound very much like that one and I would contact them about it.

Dave

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Reasuring that it is post 2007 models. Have had our 2005 3.0 V6 CRD since 2005 and find it an excellent and reliable towcar, tow a Lunar Daelta EW t/a and with the amount of torque that the engine produces you hardly now the van is on the back

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
Reasuring that it is post 2007 models. Have had our 2005 3.0 V6 CRD since 2005 and find it an excellent and reliable towcar, tow a Lunar Daelta EW t/a and with the amount of torque that the engine produces you hardly now the van is on the back
Yes totally agree about the cars ability. I have a very late 2006 Overland and it is a great car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts