Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jun 29, 2005
Visit site
Please can anyone tell me what its like to tow with one of these we are thinking of buying one, but would like to have some info on what they are like

Aug 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan, My wife and I bought a second hand grand cherokee six months ago. The car is a 3.1 diesel. It is without doubt the best car I have ever towed with. Our caravan is just over 1500 kg, and I constantly have to check the mirror to remind myself that I am still towing. The car does not feel any different with or without the caravan. The Grand Cherokee is one of the most confortable cars on the road. Just put it into our main Jeep garage for a service. The bill

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan. I purchased a 3.1 TD Grand Cherokee in 2001 new. I sold it about a month ago it having done about 31000 miles. During the time a had it I towed to France each year and it is a brilliant tow car. In 2004 the gearbox went and I was supplied with a TD5 to get home. Terrible tow car had to reorganise the van to try to get weight ballance right but didnt help much.

When the gearbox went I never found out what had gone wrong I only got an echange unit. This year the Air Con packed up and after messing about with Jeep dealers gave up and got rid. I feel that whilst it is a good tow vehicle it is 1. Expensive to run in terms of both fuel and service (every 6000 mile) 2. If you intend having people in the back check the rear seats the leg room is very poor. Parts are very expensive. Non dealers cannot get into the computor system to fully diagnose problems eg I had a heater plug go. my local man could tell a plug had gone but not which one. result 5 new plugs from Jeep Cost

Oct 17, 2005
Visit site
I have 2001 Grand cherokee Suspension feels like it does not belong to the car very unstable over 55mph when towing also expect to get about 18-19 mpg drivers footwell very small and very little room for left foot I get severe leg cramps after about 2 hours I am looking to change a.s.p.

Colin D

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Not good I,m afraid we had the 3.1 which was a dream to drive and what a tow car but the footwells are small and cramped and we also struggled to get more than 20 mpg towing a 1400kg van and that was driving it like a nun !

Servicing was reasonable but the ride when towing was a bit unstable and it did roll quite a bit when loaded ans when pushed a bit the diesel roar was bad.

But if you can put up with high running costs and a wallop on depreciation go for it,and guess what I bought in its place ? A freelander TD4,Best 4x4xfar.

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts