Jeep patriot

NPJ

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
Any thoughts re jeep patriot crd as a tow vehicle.
Looking to get kitted out car / caravan for next season, as prospective new tourer, don't want to break the bank, after much reading the patriot looks like it could fit the bill, but what's the real world think ?
Other recommendations most welcome.
£5k budget
Thanks in advance folks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Is 5k for the car or car and caravan?

re the Jeep, there are two differing max tow allowances depending on model, either 1500kg or 2000kg. They both have a kerbweight of around 1765kg. That should give you a reasonable choice of four berth caravans, but I would be leaning to a bit of redundancy and go for one with a 2000kg tow.

I have just sold a 4 berth Swift Challenger Sport which had a MTPL of 1415 kg. Using that as a comparison. a 2007 Patriot Manual would be a good match according to towcar.info There is a suggestion (not a rule) of a maximum of 85% of the cars kerbweight for an inexperienced driver, and that combo would be 80%. The towball will take 75kg.

There are other vehicles of that age that can be bought for similar money, and I would advise having a look at the XTrail which is an excellent tow vehicle.

NPJ

Sep 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi thingy
Sorry only saw the top line of your reply initially.
Ive had a look at the tech specs of alot of 4/5 berth vans, either patriot looked OK for most.
I must admit it's the vw or Mercedes engine that attracted me. I'm a bit more function than form. It's the real world / real people functionality that interests me.
Will have a look at nissan
Thanks for the response

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have had two Xtrails and found them excellent, I have also had two Shoguns, which you could also source at that price for an older one and love them. Currently have the Shogun which I absolutely love. Not everyones cup of tea, Ill be the first to admit that, but its utterly bombproof.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Welcome NPJ :)

I wish you happy times with whatever outfit you choose.

Don't really want to say this, but buy a Japanese alternative.

Jeep brand is great on some some models and certain applications.

Gonna get shot down here :eek:hmy:

But Jeep are crap vehicles technology wise, economy wise and pleasure-wise.

Jeep just is not up to modern reliability or fuel consumption standards (they are not alone).

In my opinion (probably worthless :p ), American automobiles sold here in theUK, are crap compared to to European and Japanese vehicles.

I voiced it.

I can feel some bricks hitting my head soon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello NPJ

Re Jeep, I have only experienced a Jeek Cherokee (circa 1995) Straight 6 4Ltd. This was a Chrysler and lacked the finesse of things like Range Rovers of the day. It was always fidgety on the road, the steering did not inspire confidence, compared many other vehicles it was always noisy (an this was the petrol version). The clutch needed a body builder to push it, Turning circle was poor, and it ate tyres for breakfast. The front seats gave reasonable support, but the rear bench seat was terrible and the lack of space meant they were only suitable for smaller people. The dashboard gave the impression many of the controls were after thoughts, or dredged up from the Chrysler's obsolete parts bin. It was however a strong towcar, but not one i'd relish going back to.

But since then Jeep has passed into new ownership, and I believe is now owned by Fiat! - How teh world has changed....

Please be aware that if you do consider a jeep to tow a 4 berth caravan, you will almost certainly need to have licence entitlement BE as the MAM of a Jeep is likely to use up a significant portion of the combined 3500kg MAM allowance of the B entitlement issued with licencees after 1st Jan 1997.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We traded in our 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a full service history for a 2013 Shogun and are now regretting it. The Shogun may be bullet proof etc but it is not a very good comfortable tow vehicle. On perfectly level roads in the Shogun with cruise control on you can hear the engine "surging" as if the revs are changing. We are very lucky to get 19mpg. With the Jeep at 55mph we could easily achieve 22mpg. Plus the Jeep had TPMS and a compass the latter we found very handy when going onto sites.
If going for a Jeep do not let the doom and gloom experts put you off as it is a remarkable towing vehicle and very comfortable to drive. Just make sure that it has a full service history otherwise you are buying trouble.
We are now looking at taking a loss and trading in the Shogun for a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts