Visit site
At last some good news

Britain to win race for Jaguar Land Rover gigafactory​

Major boost for car industry as UK beats Spain in race for giant factory
Not sure where.? Midlands? NE?
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Great new for UK Plc - the site is near Bridgewater, Somerset - the old Royal Ordnance factory site, now known as Gravity Business Park

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Great new for UK Plc - the site is near Bridgewater, Somerset - the old Royal Ordnance factory site, now known as Gravity Business Park
Seems a long haul to the JLR factories in the Midlands. Wonder if the JLR plants in Europe will source their batteries from UK? Good news though on the investment. I read that it’s also linked with support for Tata Port Talbot steel works. Interesting change of approach by HMG when a few years back TATA were turned down for HMG support.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The cost of transport in the total cost is probably well down the list and wherever you put it, this is there. The company wanted the most help in setting up the factory and that was probably the main thing.

Reactions: Dustydog and RogerL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Clive’s right . Enormous investment is needed at Port Talbot.Wheels and Deals but great news for Bridgewater.
Thinking out loud, I wonder if this is a Conservative government saying that politically we can't subsidise steel at Port Talbot but we can subsidise clean energy use so keep Tata sweet by looking at the big picture.

Sorry, shouldn't introduce politics!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thinking out loud, I wonder if this is a Conservative government saying that politically we can't subsidise steel at Port Talbot but we can subsidise clean energy use so keep Tata sweet by looking at the big picture.

Sorry, shouldn't introduce politics!
The discussions wrt Port Talbot have been going on for quite a while as it is clear that the blast furnaces will require replacing in the not too distant future and Tata want to reduce the carbon emissions so propose electric as the way forward. Our steel industry have been hamstrung by the price of energy compared to how other nations treat their strategic industries. With the US government introducing the Inflation Reduction Act with Β£350bn of subsidies and tax breaks for clean energy and manufacturing, plus the EU is planning similar, it cannot really do otherwise. Whilst UK is a much smaller economy compared to the EU and USA, UK needs to be able to confront the challenge as already some UK companies have announced plans to move business to the USA.. Its a fact of life that business will move to wherever it feels the best future lays, be intra national or international.

uk-wales-62262290

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Germany found out the hard way when their gas supply was severely interrupted following the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Morrisons was sold last year to a non UK venture capitalist. They sold the family silver to recoup the money they spent buying M originally. Tata own more in the UK than most realise. Port T is a thorn in their side but one of the last vestiges of great British and Welsh heavy industry. Can we afford to lose JLR? No. The global giants can move factories around the World in a matter of months . Just think how the Asian giant countries make most of the things we wear , use etc. Whoever decided to support and promote the new factory in Bridgewater deserves a gongπŸ‘

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Bridgewater going to be busy what with JLR Factory and the New Hinkleigh Point C power plant.
More workers?
More housing?
And the list will go on, goodnews all round.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Back in the late 70's I remember train journeys through Bridgwater and the smell from the British Cellophane factory. Hydrogen Sulphide... Pong capital!
Back in the '60s, Derby had a factory like that - if people used net curtains in their windows they would rot in months due to chemicals in the air.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Reminds me back in the 80's, 3 of us had a job to do on Hinkleigh B
Bear in mind this is a very cold winters morning
Got to security gate and had to give our names
Gave mine
Mate 2......... Mike Snow
Mate 3..........Jack Frost
They wouldnt let us in ,took over two hours to get clearance
There names were genuine!!!

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was wondering where you meant, then I realised you actually meant Hinkley Point.

From 1969 I spent two and half years just 5 miles south from Hinkley Point A & B.

On the journey between the West Midlands (Sorry Staffordshire in those days) I well remember the smell of the celanese plant near Bridgwater as we passed by. This was when the M5 stopped at the M50 junction, and it was A38 down to Bridgwater. I also remember the smell from the Morelands Match Factory, on the A38 Bristol Road at Gloucester.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Bear in mind this is a very cold winters morning
Got to security gate and had to give our names
Gave mine
Mate 2......... Mike Snow
Mate 3..........Jack Frost
They wouldnt let us in ,took over two hours to get clearance
There names were genuine!!!
In South Africa I had a friend whose name was Joe Kool. Got stopped by the police on one occasion and asked for name. As he never had his ID on him he was arrested for supplying false details.

Unfortunately many in the the SAP were not known for their humour and his face and body were slightly rearranged. After that incident he made sure he carried ID with him at all times.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts