Jockey wheel position

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The chassis manufacture will have done their homework on where to place the jockey wheel based on the loads the chassis will carry. For most people there is no option, and very few would even contemplate moving it. I don't think it is likely the position of the jockey wheel would figure very highly in a prospective customers reasons for choosing caravan A over B

However I do have a heavy Twin axle trailer where as supplied the JW was attached to the outside of the A frame, and I did notice the A frame side beams apparently twisting slightly under load. For some reason the coupling head did have a JW slot located between the A frame and I moved mine. It certainly seem to cope with loads better, and also I can now use the external slot for a utility mast.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Slightly off-topic, this query, as it's about jockey wheel tyres. Can anyone advise me as to whether it's better to have a pneumatic tyre on the jockey wheel, or a solid one? If any of you have a pneumatic tyre, do you carry a spare with you? I used to have a pneumatic tyre on the Elddis, which made manoeuvring on the drive much easier. There is a solid tyre on the Gobur, and I'm wondering if it's worthwhile changing it. My driveway has a mixture of materials on it, part pavioured, part gravelled and part decking. (Yes, really! Not my choice! previous householder did it, and I can't afford to 'rationalise' things yet!) Thanks guys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts