jockey wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we have had a motor mover fitted and find that the jockey wheel digs into soft soil after rain. whats your thoughts on fitting to a pneumatic wheel. i would have to take the old one off which is fitted in the centre of the a frame i would have to fit a pneumatic one to the side of the a frame so i could remove it whilst towing i don't think it will have a lot of clerance left on especialy over humps etc do you see any problems with this the van is no longer under warranty cheers peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I too had the problem of the jockey wheel digging in and fitted a pneumatic - make sure it is well inflated before using it the first time 'cos they don't come out of the shop that way. As for clearance with the centre mounting - could you cut away some of the A frame fairing to solve that problem? On most 'vans the fairing seems to flimsy plastic - decorative rather than practical - as in "try standing on it to wash above the windows" Know what I mean?

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Peter,

I too had the problem of the jockey wheel digging in and fitted a pneumatic - make sure it is well inflated before using it the first time 'cos they don't come out of the shop that way. As for clearance with the centre mounting - could you cut away some of the A frame fairing to solve that problem? On most 'vans the fairing seems to flimsy plastic - decorative rather than practical - as in "try standing on it to wash above the windows" Know what I mean?

Mike E
yes mike i would brable to cut the a frame fairing and attach the clamp to the side of the a frame cheers peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We fitted an ALKO heavy duty Pneumatic jockey wheel it made a great difference. Initialy I fitted a cheaper version but it was not up to the extra stress of the mover. the ALKO cost

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The steel version of the jockey wheel has "max 4 bar" on the tyre but if you try to put that pressure in the plastic wheeled one as I did the wheel will explode before the tyre.25 psi is recommended for the plastic one but the one I had had no pressure recommended on they tyre itself.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
before I had my mover fitted, I bought a pneumatic jockey wheel on the advices of others. I asked the fitter from powertouch which would be the best to use and he said that the larger the diameter and width of the wheel the better and it was well known in the trade that no particular wheel was capable of dealing with all types of terrain and ground conditions. I therefore took the pneumatic wheel back to the dealer and have to date not had any problems in that area having move on grass, gravel, up kerbs and inclines etc.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Peter ,

I don`t understand why you would have to fit a new jockey wheel on the outside of the A frame what is wrong with putting it in the same clamp that holds your present wheel, I understand this is in the middle of of the A frame, why would there not be enough clearance? a pneumatic wheel isn`t that much bigger in dia than the solid plastic ones.I replaced the jockey wheel on my van and there is plenty of clearance, Get the tape measure out Peter, Good luck Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter,

Using the existing centre bracket is what I had in mind - just that there might be a need to cut a hole in the centre part of the fairing to give clearance for the top of the pneumatic tyre.

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too could not see why the inflatable jockey wheel could not be fitted inside the A-frame using the existing mounting.

To fit one on the outside would not be acceptable to the chassis manufacturer if it involved drilling.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts