Joint Aquarolls.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Ah yes, but........
The upper cylinder can never be more than about half full as once the level in that exceeds the open top outlet in the lower one, it will overflow!

Can't beat a watering can, top of the aquaroll regularly and you only have to carry a watering can full, rather than dragging the aqua roll(s) to the tap.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ah yes, but........
The upper cylinder can never be more than about half full as once the level in that exceeds the open top outlet in the lower one, it will overflow!

Can't beat a watering can, top of the aquaroll regularly and you only have to carry a watering can full, rather than dragging the aqua roll(s) to the tap.
Maybe he needs to use the second rack or no rack at all

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used a 10 litre water container and like above just used to top up the aquaroll periodically without having to disturb the pump. Weight bearing excercise is supposedly good for ageing bones. 👍

Last edited:
May 15, 2023
Visit site
I'd imagine he has both cylinders on racks when they are full, then takes the primary cylinder off the rack when the cylinders are down to 50% capacity.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had a system that worked well for us and our daily usage. After breakfast, I would fill both Aquarolls. One would be used during the day. After the evening meal, I would switch to the full Aquaroll. The first thing next day we have enough water for two showers.

Job done.

On the rare occasion, we got low during the day, I would fetch a watering can full.

That system may not work for more than two showers each day or for those using the facilities.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I notice in the OP picture that the water inlet is low down on the van. A bit like my Lunar. The height made no sense to me. It could very easily have been 15cm higher. Many vans are.

As a result, I had to lay the Aquaroll’s down to achieve a height to make a smooth connection. A lot of extra lugging.

In my opinion, another aspect of poor design by manufacturers.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd imagine he has both cylinders on racks when they are full, then takes the primary cylinder off the rack when the cylinders are down to 50% capacity.
There should be no reason to need to lower a barrel, becasue the water levels will equalise becasue of the connecting hose.

Due to the fact the barrels are lying on their sides, the quantity of water below the the equalising pipe connection is a very small % of the total volume of the barrels and not worth the effort of trying to make it available to pump out.

Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
The need to lower a barrel is because the two barrels will equalise and not, therefore, feed. The barrels being 'on their sides' is, as per Jcloughies post, due to the position of the inlet.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The need to lower a barrel is because the two barrels will equalise and not, therefore, feed. The barrels being 'on their sides' is, as per Jcloughies post, due to the position of the inlet.
Please can you explain your thinking? What exactly do you mean by "feed"?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020
Visit site
There's a positive head from the upper to lower barrels giving a feed i.e. decent pressure from higher to lower. If the stillage of the upper were also angled it would drain further than if level.
An interesting photo but not something I would faff about with myself, I use a similar regime to John in post 6; swap aquarolls after evening meal giving enough for the next day.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
When not a FSP We use two aquarolls , unconnected . Both get filled at the same time and just need swapping as described by John and Micky. The side by side ones imo must be kept at the same height if you wish to gain the benefit of 80 litres in one go. One higher than the other will not give you the full, volume. Pressure is irrelevant as the caravan pump sucks the water 😎

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's a positive head from the upper to lower barrels giving a feed i.e. decent pressure from higher to lower. If the stillage of the upper were also angled it would drain further than if level.
An interesting photo but not something I would faff about with myself, I use a similar regime to John in post 6; swap aquarolls after evening meal giving enough for the next day.
Thank you for your thoughts, but that could not be the case, becasue the barrels both need to be able to draw air in as the water empties out, so the upper most caps have to be able to allow air in. As such the connection between the barrels (the blue pipe) will always allow the water levels to equalise in both barrels to achieve the same horizontal level. That means the lower barrel will contain more water than the upper.

If two full barrels were set up as shown, the upper barrel will discharge into the lower barrell causing it to over flow through the pumps cap, until the water level in the upper tank exactly matches the top of the lower tank, i.e. the water levels have equalised to the same horizontal.

Edit - addition of image
800px-Schlauchwaage_Schematik.svg.png

Simply the physics of hydrodynamics, water in all connect vented vessels exposed to the same air pressure will settle to the same horizontal plane.

There is no advantage in raising or lowering one barrell above the other.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The only advantage of raising one barrel above the other is so that it runs out first, can be disconnected and then refilled and reconnected. A waste of time, I do the same as Mickey and Dusty D. Just swop barrels.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts