kerbweights

Jun 12, 2005
Visit site
I currently tow with a Citroen C5 2.0 hdi estate. I only know the unladen weight of my vehicle (1438kgs), which gives me 1222kgs (85%)for my caravan which weighs in at 1220kgs (MAW).I am going to get a new Dethleffs 2 berth which has a max' weight of 1300kgs with a possible chassis increase to 1350kgs. As I am relatively new to caravaning (5 years) I would like someone with a clear understanding of kerbweights to let me know what my vehicle kerbweight is, and their expert opinion on my proposed match.By the way, I have already tried to seek enlightenment from Towsafe and other Websites including Citroen and I am none the wiser. They all quote the unladen weight only. Is there a wise person out there?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
kerbweight of the estate is 1532 kgs,you propose to tow possible 1350 kgs

the ratio is about 87% nothing wrong with that 1300 even less this is a good match

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although references are still made to 'unladen weight' which used to be the common term used in the British car industry, Directive 96/53/EC which has been in effect since about the mid-90's defines kerbweight or 'mass in running order' and is applicable throughout Europe. The figure that you have for the Citroen C5, being a relatively new car, will therefore actually be the kerbweight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

As the other respondents have covered the weight or more correctly the Mass issue, I am sure you will have read other threads about the stability of outfits. A good match is not only dependant on the relative masses, its down to how it is loaded and how it is driven.

I would hope that if you have had 5 years experience you will have already established in your own mind a good loading strategy, and will have found how much the extra bulk of a caravan affects the handling of the car.

As a strategy for your new van I would suggest start with slower speeds than you might have thought and build up carefully 'feeling' the caravan through the motion of the car.If necessary be prepared to stop and re balance the caravan by moving internal payload.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although references are still made to 'unladen weight' which used to be the common term used in the British car industry, Directive 96/53/EC which has been in effect since about the mid-90's defines kerbweight or 'mass in running order' and is applicable throughout Europe. The figure that you have for the Citroen C5, being a relatively new car, will therefore actually be the kerbweight.
Correction: Directive 96/53/EC applies more to dimensions. Directive 92/21/EC is the one that covers weights (masses).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts