Key Removal - Caraloc 400 door lock

BAN

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
I have purchased a left handed Caraloc 400 door lock for my trailer. The lock has been fitted correctly and locks okay using the key. The issue is that once the door is locked, I can not remove the key - by turning the key the other way again and pulling out - without the door unlocking itself. The original caraloc 400 it replaced allowed me to rotate the key and pull out without hearing a click and the door unlocking. I have purchased 3 of the same door locks and they are all unable to allow the removal of the key once locked without unlocking, Would appreciate if anybody knows if there is a setting in the lock I need to set. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not familiar with this lock, but if you have only just bought it, then I'm sure there should be relevant information in the instructions or at least the retailer should be able to advise of change the product for the correct one.

BAN

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. No instructions came with it for both of the locks I purchased. The places I purchased the locks were from distributors who did not know about the issue, and I cant seem to find the website. I am presuming that Caraloc is a company and not a general description Thanks anyway.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I found this on another forum

I put both locks next to each other to see if there really was any difference between them that I hadn't seen before.... and noticed that the internal part was thicker on one - the old lock had a spacer plate attached to it.

Removed this and put it on the new lock and hey presto! The latch now sits behind the door frame and locks (with a little bit of pressure on the door), it never did look right with it in the shallow bit of plastic on the frame”

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I presume you have the correct handing for the replacement -
'You need a Left Hand Lock if the hinges on your Caravan or Motorhome Door are on the Left hand side when looking from outside of the Caravan or Motorhome. '

BAN

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
I presume you have the correct handing for the replacement -
'You need a Left Hand Lock if the hinges on your Caravan or Motorhome Door are on the Left hand side when looking from outside of the Caravan or Motorhome. '
Hi, thanks for the reply. DId a double check and yes it is the correct one. From looking from the outside the hinges are on the left, and I purchased the left one. I have also tried just connectng the 2 main pars together just in my hands and the same issue arises - when the key is put into the position where it is completely vertical (thinnest edge on top) in order to temove the key, the lock unlocks itself.

BAN

Nov 8, 2022
Visit site
I found this on another forum

I put both locks next to each other to see if there really was any difference between them that I hadn't seen before.... and noticed that the internal part was thicker on one - the old lock had a spacer plate attached to it.

Removed this and put it on the new lock and hey presto! The latch now sits behind the door frame and locks (with a little bit of pressure on the door), it never did look right with it in the shallow bit of plastic on the frame”

Thanks, i will take a look when I get back home and see if there are any differences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts