Keyless automatic car

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I keep mine in a tin box, bu cannot help but think the it was an answer to a problem that had not arisen. My previous SJ Forester had ordinary remote fob and key. It had the advantage that I could use the key to lock the car but not activate the internal sensors, so the dogs would not set off the alarm. This one I cannot do that readily as extracting the key is fiddly. So I have a small under dash keypad which requires me to pass one of the keys. Okay in daylight....just. All this alarm protection is a UK fitment by the Subaru importers as in Japan cars don't get nicked.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
HI, I'm new to the forum and looking for advice. We have a static at present but used to have a tourer many years ago. We are toying with the idea of buying another touring caravan again as we loved it so much. We have a Ford Kuga automatic which has a keyless start and somebody mentioned this may not be suitable for towing due to the keyless start. I've googled lots and can find nothing negative about keyless start cars in respect of towing capabilities. Has anybody found this a problem or any advice on the subject. Many thanks in advance for any help.
Hello,
Somebodies spinning you a line.We tow with a keyless entry automatic Ford Kuga without any problems - can't imagine what problems are being envisaged.
We always switch off the start/stop feature whether towing or not.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Love our keyless entry. faffing with a key in our mini now seems an annoyance and I like I can leave it in my pocket. Simply keep keys in faraday bags if In range of the car.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I've towed with two cars that are keyless and automatic, never had an issue and don't see why I would.

Always turn the ss off otherwise the ACT will have to restart too.

SS will not damage the turbo as secondary cooling systems are used.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We bought these screened pouches off Amazon. One for daily use and the other for the spare key. I don't carry the pouch with me even when out and about in the caravan. If we go out, I take the key with me.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are worried about the security of the key at home or in your caravan, you can line a tin with tinfoil or use a microwave to store the keys and they will block pout the signal.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I suppose we all have our own personal concerns with keyless entry.
I find it really useful and simply carry my keys in a pocket 99% of the time. Being able to touch a button to open or close the car is so convenient. I have, however, stopped the boot opening automatically if standing close to the rear of the car. Seemed a great idea at first - arms full of shopping - but ended up scooting past the car to beat the 4th beep to stop it opening.
Surely it's all down to convenience and I'm not going to compromise that by carrying pouches, tin cans, cooking foil or anything else for that matter. My risk assessment tells me to take my chance and simply carry on as usual.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The main risk is when your in the caravan and the keys are not screened, or at home when the car is parked on the road.

So all we do is use the pouches to store the keys in while we sleep.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Exactly-we carry ours in our pockets when away from the car but in the caravan when it's parked beside our van and we are in or in the house when it's on the drive-if the crims fancy your car they can use a grabber so we simply keep them in pouches at night-work a treat and no hassle-as soon as you are a few yards away from the car you'd be v unlucky to be 'grabbed'!!! esp at my age!!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re this thread. On a recent trip out my wife who normally carries spare keys in her handbag decided to wrap them in aluminium foil. A day or so later she was about to throw them in the bin, thinking that the foil parcel contained steak that she had had left over from a pub meal. Since it had been there too long for the dogs to eat the foil pack was on its way out!

Ive decided to buy a RFID pouch but see some very mixed reviews. They either leak the signal or aren’t very robust. Does anyone use one that counters these two shortcomings. And no my wife will not be putting a biscuit tin in the hold-all called a handbag.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I have an Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV hybrid, which is keyless and automatic, but problems towing.

How ever, the tow bar nose weight, is low at 70kg, and for the size of the car its towing weight is 1500kg so Mitsubishi will say but if you use the Vin plate information on the car, mine works out 1530kg! I prefer to use the lower 1500kg though

Don't take any precaution with my keys, no pouches, tin containers etc. As I find that if you're several feet away from the car, keyless doesn't work. But do love it, as so much easier getting in, and with locking the car when hands are full.

No rummaging in the handbag to find the keys, then balancing stuff in my hands to unlock/lock the car. Makes life easier. Funny thing is, the most use way of locking my car, is using the boot lock. As that's nearest to the charging point. Funny thing is, hubby doesn't drive he tends not to carry the spare keys with him, and will wait until I've unlocked the car. He still can't get his head around, as long as I standing near the car it will open

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts