Kia or Hyundai

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have decided to change my present Renault Espace for a 4X4 - the main reason being that I am looking to buy a 6 berth twin axle jobby. I have just started looking at the new Hyundai Terracan and Kia Sorrento models. Would appreciate any comments from people owning any of the above cars. Also liked the look of the Nissan X trail but have a feeling the towing capacity is not their for a 1700kw van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

Im not sure you're making the right choise by changing you heavy, long wheel based, torquie car for a 4X4. I tow a 1.8 tonne twin axle with a Ford Galaxy with no probs. If they could put wheels on a house, the Espace could tow it!

Pete

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
Garry

We used to tow a Swift Conqueror 590 with a Grand espace 2.2dt. Whilst the Espace was a fantastic car solo (when it wasn't suffering electrical gremlins!) I always came back from holidays wanting something else. Eventually circumstances (ie the government tax laws on company cars!) forced a change and so my wife became the proud owner of a new shape Jeeop Cherokee. When I drove that, iw ould always wonder why we had bought it - until the holidays came around, when, apart from the small boot, I'd always come back massively impressed.

I suppose the best solution depends on your priorities. Of the two you mention, I'd go for thr Kia - but you might also think about a Terrano 3.0 diesel (very cheap nearly new, with huge spec) or maybe a more car like 4x4 that's a little older (Lexus, X5, etc).

Jun 3, 2003
Visit site
the kia is great does 25mpg towing our twin axle with air con on and min 33 solo. we towed our unit in spanish pyreenees in june no problem we did 2100 miles door to door and its the best towcar i have ever had, by the way ive been vanning for 18 yrs now and have towed a lot.

regards stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its the Kia bud, The Hyundai won't keep its value so well as its not as sought after (strange, saying that about a Kia!) and its a better drive solo.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking of changing our Torrano. We have looked at both models. The Sorento has a very small boot, and the Kia just wasn't quite there for us. We are now looking at the 3.0L Torrano as we cannot fault our 2.7TD

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
garry,have you looked at the sedona, far supereior to the espace,2.9 crdi is a peach of a tow car/take out back seats/4 seater with the biggest boot ever/for awning etc,and can tow 2000kgs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm making the same choice as you at present and here are my thoughts. If you stay at CL's out of season or you're going to mountainous regions get a 4x4. The problem with part time 4x4 is they don't like running in 4wd on tarmac, so when you hit ice etc it's too late to manualy engage 4x4. X-trail can run in auto 4x4 on road, Sorento XS runs in permanent 4wd the XE part time, Terracan can only run in 4wd where there is some slip. The Terracan is a briliant car but the UK is getting the lowest spec. versions, abroad they come with full time 4wd and 7 seats. So with a 20k budget I'm going for a second hand Shogun, just hope the stabiliser gets past the spare wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I changed from an espace to the Kia in the summer. I thought the espace was a good tow car until I got the KIA. Go for it you can't go wrong. I tow a 6 birth TA no problem, speeds up to 75mph in france without a twitch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts