Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
hi i'm thinking of changing my tired ford galaxy for a kia sedona 2.9diesel can anyone let me know what they think of these as a tow car and how you rate them for large family run about/mpg etc.

thanks

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Adrian

We have a Sedona 2.9 crdi L 02 reg

Good points

The seats are very generous in size and very comfortable, two on the 2nd row and three on the third so easily accessible too.

Ours has a DVD player which is a welcome addition on long journeys. Infra red headphones are even better so you don't hear the simpsons over & over!

Rear sliding doors are brilliant especially with 4 kids piling out at a time.

Ample towing capacity for any caravan on the road(though we havent towed with it yet.)

Lots of interior lights and cup holders and cubby holes

Bad points.

It feels a bit lollopy to drive.

Parking can be a pain because of the steer lock

Multi storeys and tight petrol stations can be very scary!

Day to day knocking about will get about 30mpg

Indicators are on the wrong side. I still sometimes go round a corner with my wipers on!

Some of the switches on the dash are hidden by the steering wheel.

Interior is a bit naff but 4 kids mess it up anyway

The 7th seat only has a lap belt

The 7th seat is jointly made up by the seats either side it in the rearmost row. If you remove one of the rear seats you actually end up losing 2 seats.

The boot space is not enormous and when I do a big shop I have to balance bags on seats and put them in the footwells same with luggage.

No air conditioning on our model

Rear windows don't open but the rear quarterlights do. A hothouse in the summer, even with our tinted windows.

Sucks leaves in through the vents and scatters them over the dash!!

Pricey parts and servicing

Any thing else, I'll let you know

Lisa

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We replaced our Sharan with a ford S-max 2.0tdci, we considered the sedona but discounted it due to fuel consumption as we do a highish mileage, poor roadholding, seating arrangement, and poor ncap accident rating. though initial cost and sliding doors were attractive.

We discounted another Shaz and anything else with lift out seats.

Initially we discounted the S-max as ultimate load space was not so good and hinged rear doors but apart from a bit extra duty free from France it was adequate for our needs.

With all 7 seats up there is actually a reasonable space at the back for the shopping and the rear seats quickly fold flat rather than lift out

Being an ex GTI driver the roadholding did it for me, I doubt any other 7 seater will touch it around corners which, when we get a chance to tow with it should equate to a rock solid caravan tug.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, we pick our 07 kia sedona up next thursday so cant tell you much at the moment. we have ordered the LS as the doors are electric and can be opened off the key fob, you also get privacy glass, aircon all around inc the boot(for the dog).on the LS you get parking sensors and the rear passenger windows do go up and down on this model aswell as the 1/4 windows opening aswell.

the gear stick is also in a better position.

i dont know if you wanted info on the old shape or new shape but i cant tell you much more.

i know the fuel isnt as good as the sharan but compared to our grand cherokee jeep at 14mpg solo and proberbly at the most 10mpg towing then the kia whether older model or new shape sounded great fuel consumption.

happy car buying

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I had a look at a new KIA Sedona last weekend at the NEC. It looked ok but with 0 to 60 in over 15 seconds and only 30mpg, it didn't look like a good package.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
I looked at the Sedona back in September but didn't like 30mpg from a diesel with high servicing costs and only two proper windows. Having had a Sharan TDi 110, I was used to refinement and good mpg. Settled on a Touran TDi in the end. However, when VW gave me a Kia, as the Touran was in for a week (separate story,) it showed the old style Sedona's complete lack of refinement! It also showed how big it was, even in comparison to the Sharan. I think the new one is loads better. Oh and the early diesel Sedonas (pre 2002 I think) have 6000 mile service intervals and worse fuel economy with the base models lacking air con. Not nice in summer.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian,

GREAT!!! is the answer. I'm pleased to see Jo-ann has chosen one and the new shape is far superior to the old. Mine has only covered just over 1000 miles but towing the 1500 kilo van was a stability dream, and returned 22 mpg. which I expect to improve as things free up. I have the auto which is a heaven around town and the "Tip-Tronic" manual selection is ideal for towing giving you the control of a full manual gearbox without the bother of a clutch.

They are not renound for fast acceleration but caravaners are not usually boy racers and when was the last time you floored it away from the lights?

Regards Colin

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Adrian,

GREAT!!! is the answer. I'm pleased to see Jo-ann has chosen one and the new shape is far superior to the old. Mine has only covered just over 1000 miles but towing the 1500 kilo van was a stability dream, and returned 22 mpg. which I expect to improve as things free up. I have the auto which is a heaven around town and the "Tip-Tronic" manual selection is ideal for towing giving you the control of a full manual gearbox without the bother of a clutch.

They are not renound for fast acceleration but caravaners are not usually boy racers and when was the last time you floored it away from the lights?

Regards Colin
colin, i cant wait till next thurday hooray. as we pulled off from the lights today in the jeep the fuel said 12.9 mpg and thats solo. so i bet it does about 6-14max when towing.

at night what colour does the dash board clocks light up?. silly question but i had to know.

we ordered the LS model in silver (manual) which one do you have?.

nice chatting

jo-anne

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
the sedona comes into its own when you are pulling the heavier twin axles especially over long distances,I regularly get 42 mpg solo and 30 towing mine is the 05 model LE,I think any mpv that weighs in at 2.2 ton will roll a bit on the corners but then it is a lot cheaper than most mpv,s at less than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts