Kia Sorento XS 2.5 Diesel Manuel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have Sorento 2.5 CRDi auto and it is light on the steering but pulls a 1360kg van like a draem. The autobox never seems to be out of step and on motorways will easily stay in 5th at 55-6-mph. Towing it averages 24mpg and solo it satred off at 25mpg but now with 7ooo on the clock it is at 27mpg. Its performance is far beeter thata 2000 Disoc 2.5 TD5 that I had, which was the most unreliable car that I have ever had, witha whole host of major and minor faults.

The Kia is not Audi quality of internal finish but the price represents very good value for money. The daeler Chippenham Motor Company preared the car toa high standard and gave an excellent teach in when I collected it from them.
I bought a sorento in December 2004 ,I have a burstner 455 1400kg, No problems on the fuel av 28 to 30 mpg solo and 22 to 25 hitched,Its a dream to tow with ,as for the German cars , I live in Germany the cars they seem to be purchasing for towing are the VW tourag and the sorento , I dont get out of fifth even up 5% inclines on the autobahn, It has also come top in its class in the JD power stats and seventh overall

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have Sorento 2.5 CRDi auto and it is light on the steering but pulls a 1360kg van like a draem. The autobox never seems to be out of step and on motorways will easily stay in 5th at 55-6-mph. Towing it averages 24mpg and solo it satred off at 25mpg but now with 7ooo on the clock it is at 27mpg. Its performance is far beeter thata 2000 Disoc 2.5 TD5 that I had, which was the most unreliable car that I have ever had, witha whole host of major and minor faults.

The Kia is not Audi quality of internal finish but the price represents very good value for money. The daeler Chippenham Motor Company preared the car toa high standard and gave an excellent teach in when I collected it from them.
Hi Guys

We have had two lengthy test drives of the Sorento xs 2.5cdi. Whilst the steering is lightish there is positive feedback. The handling caused me no alarm although I must say the brakes whilst very positive are not as overservoed as my Renault Laguna. Overall there was nothing about the drive, gears , clutch, steering that worried us. Overall we felt it was a very accomplished vehicle. We found the finish inside and out excellent. The available standard equipment is excellent and overall excellent value for money. We did try a Land Rover Dico, a Mercedes and a Shogun which to us , were less comfortable and not such a good drive. We have ordered a Sorento and will let you know how the next year goes towing our Bailey Pageant Vendee.

Alan R

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
I find what you have to say very worrying. This is not the first post I have read concerning poor mpg from several of the Kia range.

At their very attractive purchase prices there are many of us very interested in buying a Kia but I am hoping that there will be a few more favourable comments before I part with my readies.

Any other comments from Kia owners?
Having just bought a KIA SorentoXS I thought I'd read other peoples comments - bit back to front I know - interesting !

With 500 miles on the clock we took our Ace twinstar to Tweksbury from North Wales - M/way down, A Roads back - and after 850 miles from new I was getting 27mpg. With the engine loosening and a little help from a Tune-It box i expect to get the same mpg as my Jeep Cherokee Sport (same engne) 30mpg plus with van !!!!

I reckon some people should take the lead out of their boots or do an econemy driving course - and that does not mean going slow. I tow at the speed limits at least.

What you get with the Sorento for the money is pretty good - self leveling rear suspension, leather, cruise control, climate control and an a Mercedes engine with a chain driven overhead cam - no breaking belts.

My wife even thinks she might have a go at towing with the KIA - so far she has been to frightened.

I'm well pleased so far

Paul

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site

hi i have just got a sorento 2.5crdi xse auto. in may 2005.

like the car BUT only getting 20mpg not good for DIESEL.

LIKE YOU ALL NOT HAPPY.only 6 speakers not 8 .not happy with the

spare wheel mick

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Not only did the Sorento win 4x4 four wheel drive of 2004, it has just come a very good fourth ina 4x4 magazine drive off over very challenging ground. It was pipped by the new Disco3 at over twice the price, but the Kia beat Jeep, Land Cruiser, Shogun, Nissan etc. Mercedes and BMW were not even entered! Also the Sorento won the 2005 JD Power SUV of the year. So Kia must be doing something right. What's the odd couple of mpg extra for such a tremendous vehicle.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Sorry cannot agree, the price quoted was as shown in 4x4 magazine July 2005, but I accept that it was one of the higher spec models, but it still only just baet the Kia into 3rd place. The best I can see on the web is

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Clive

Sorry about your Disco experience cant understand it, I had a 1998 300TDI which covered 163K, all it had other than servicing was a water pump, gave it to my son when I had done with it and its still going strong. Thought the TD5 was universally recongnised an an vast improvement in the 300TDI, obviously not.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Clive

Sorry about your Disco experience cant understand it, I had a 1998 300TDI which covered 163K, all it had other than servicing was a water pump, gave it to my son when I had done with it and its still going strong. Thought the TD5 was universally recongnised an an vast improvement in the 300TDI, obviously not.
Graham,

thanks, I have friends who have 300tdis and they have all been good cars, but they won't swop fora Series 2. It was my garage that made the final decision for me when they said to sell it on as they had never had one with so many problems ( cylinder haed crack, gearbox and crankshaft oils seals, synchos on 1 and 2, and Active Ride Height problems). It was a great tow car and caried our kit and dog with more space than the Kia, but the sheer lack of confidence meant that at 76000 miles and with the end of warranty in sight I took the garages advise and sold it.

Clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive the Kia at 19K is part time 4x4 it has to be driven on the road in 2 wheel drive mode and 4x4 at very low speeds for a short time as well, so to compare with a disco 3 you have to go to the XS model which is 4x4 full time. This costs 22K only 5K less than a Disco 3. I have seen the disco being made at Solihul, now that ford has them the build quality and materials are first rate.

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

At the time i owned a 2.7 litre turbo diesel ford maverick and i was looking for something with a "bit more oomph". My local Kia dealer thrust the keys to a sorento in my hand and said "clear off and let me know what you think". I agree with you over the steering, even solo it felt very light and i thought it was ok around town but ran out of puff too easily.

I now own a 3.0 litre diesel nissan terrano sve and i am very impressed. I get 20-25 MPG solo. On a recient trip to the cotswould i returned 25MPG. I tow a Twin axle, the only downside is you can easly forget that you are towing. I find it dissapointing that such a good tow car is not listed in the towcar section of this magazine. This is the best towcar i have ever owned.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
hi i have just got a sorento 2.5crdi xse auto. in may 2005.

like the car BUT only getting 20mpg not good for DIESEL.

LIKE YOU ALL NOT HAPPY.only 6 speakers not 8 .not happy with the

spare wheel mick
Hi,

you will find that it will improve with running in. The auto gearbox and high torque means that if you leave it all to the gearbox then you do not go much above 3000rpm max. You should progresively increase the rpm by use of the manual selection when you have done 500 miles. It will do no harm to take it to 4000 rpm and in fact the EMC changes you up before it goes into the red. Also KIA say that when you first tow a trailer/van do 500 miles at no more than 50mph. When the engine is fully run it is still beneficial to periodically take it up the rpm range. See Honest Johns web site and column in the Telegraph.

You should get araond 22-24 towing and up to 30 on a run.

Clive

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys

Three weeks earlier than promised we took delivery of a new silver 2.5 XS diesel manual Sorento. Toured all over Dorset with the Bailey Pageant Vendee. The weight ratio factor means I am at barely 60%. Unlike when towing with the Laguna there was no turbulence on the motorway, in fact it was all too easy to forget the van was there, mirrors used regularly! Overall and taking it easy for the first 500 miles ( 250 towing) we have achieved about 30mpg. I didn't expect any more and if it does this regularly we will be very happy. The steering seems absolutely fine to me but then it would as I am used to the light steering of the Laguna. Everything French seems overservoed. This 4x4 is excellent value for money and so far is doing everything we want and very safely at that. Comfort level is excellent. I miss the Laguna's 6 speed box and feel the Sorento could do with a 6th to narrow the gap between the gears. I did have to use 3rd and 4th a lot on the Dorset hills but then I didn't want to labour or race a new engine. So far I'm happy. Will keep you posted. Chippenham Motors at Lyneham are vg, see Jim or Don or Kelvin. Cheers Alan R

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
have had the xe manual for 2 years now does 33mpg solo with aircon running, and 23mpg towing my twin axle abi which weighs 1600kg, no problems at all towing, we go to the peak district often and it pulls the van effortlessly up winnats pass which is 1 in 5 for about a mile, all in all a great towcar.

stuart

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I find what you have to say very worrying. This is not the first post I have read concerning poor mpg from several of the Kia range.

At their very attractive purchase prices there are many of us very interested in buying a Kia but I am hoping that there will be a few more favourable comments before I part with my readies.

Any other comments from Kia owners?
I own a 2005 Sorento and have found it to be a very capable towcar averaging 36mpg solo and 30 mpg with the van on the back. My van weighs 1456 loaded so is no lightweight but is not a twin axle. I tow at the speed limits in force and would recommend the Sorento to anyone.

Grahame

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2005 Kia Sorento 2.5 XE auto and just got back from a 4500 mile trip in Europe and the car was a delight to drive.

One must wonder if these doubters have ever really driven or owned a Sorento. I would recommend one to anyone buying a 4 X 4.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roadrunner

I have a sedona,was at the showroom waiting for it back after a service,they had a sorento xse in, what a beautiful looking car !!! Yes I am extremely jealous as I cant afford one !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts