Kia Sorento XS 2.5 Diesel Manuel

May 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I brought a 2004 kia Sorento XS 2.5 Diesel for £21000. I brought this car to tow my Fleetwood Heritage 640eb, I took delivery off my sorento and went to collect my caravan. i could not wait to try my new car with my caravan, i had only pulled out the gates off the caravan place to find that the steering on my sorento was very light, on joining the motorway and travling to york the caravan was all over the road when driving over pots holes and ruts on the motorway. On further jorneys with the sorento it was the same and i never felt happy with the van on the back. I also found that the fuel consumption was far from what its advertisted at, i was only getting 20mpg with the van on and 26mpg solo. I covered 7000 miles in this car and they were the worse 7000 miles i have ever done in car. I decided to exchange my car in January this year and yet again i was dissapointed as the best price i could get for this car was £13000. i now own a Nisssan Terrano 3.0 sve diesel and its the best car i have ever had. Has anyone else had these problems or did i have a bad one?????????

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find what you have to say very worrying. This is not the first post I have read concerning poor mpg from several of the Kia range.

At their very attractive purchase prices there are many of us very interested in buying a Kia but I am hoping that there will be a few more favourable comments before I part with my readies.

Any other comments from Kia owners?

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Am on my second kia sedona and wouldnt swap it for anything else!!! brilliant all round family car and tower !!!! ( would maybe think about swapping only if I won lots and lots of money on the lottery!!)brill on fuel and bargain at 14k new !Only gripe is the dealer I went through were c**p !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I also own a Kia Sorento 2.5xs and pull a LMC 520hte, 7,3mrts long, 1500-1600kgs all up, I`ve been to France and several places in England, without a problem. the car tows like a dream, I can`t understand the light steering the Kia has self leveling suspension, fuel is a bit low I reckon 22 - 25 towing and 25 knocking about town solo,but it`s a brute of a tow car I never know the van is on the back. I`d be interested to know what your numbersa are for the nisan, I can`t see them being any better.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Klarky

It was Campbells at preston !There was a delay on the vehicles so rather than tell the truth and say they didnt know when it was arriving( which I wouldnt of minded !) they kept blagging week in week out to the point where I almost cancelled the car,when it did arrive there were no complaints about the car at all, and now wev've towed with it too I cant fault it !!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I pull a Swift Challenger 530se with my Sorento. Without a doubt the best tow car I have ever used, despite the poor mpg figures.

Steve W

May 24, 2005
Visit site
I tow a Bailey Pageant Provence (1420 kg max) with my Sorento 2.5 diesel manual without any problems whatsoever. On motorways I rarely come out of 5th gear, it really is a superb towcar.

In fact it's a superb vehicle all round except in respect of its fuel returns. I get 30mpg solo at all times (don't know how much less when towing but it is quite a chunk less) which doesn't seem so bad having read some of the reports in this forum!!

Brochure/internet figures suggest 29/36.7/43 mpg urban/combined/extra urban.

What you are not told however is that these figures are achieved on a 'rolling road' inside a warehouse somewhere with all electrics off, no real road,load nor wind resistance - none of us will ever achieve these figures as long as we have a hole in our exhausts!

Personally, I'd have been happier if Kia had done the honest thing and told me that I'd get only 30mpg from the vehicle. I would still have bought it, but I wouldn't feel cheated as I feel now.

Super car, shame about the tactics!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I tow a Bailey Pageant Provence (1420 kg max) with my Sorento 2.5 diesel manual without any problems whatsoever. On motorways I rarely come out of 5th gear, it really is a superb towcar.

In fact it's a superb vehicle all round except in respect of its fuel returns. I get 30mpg solo at all times (don't know how much less when towing but it is quite a chunk less) which doesn't seem so bad having read some of the reports in this forum!!

Brochure/internet figures suggest 29/36.7/43 mpg urban/combined/extra urban.

What you are not told however is that these figures are achieved on a 'rolling road' inside a warehouse somewhere with all electrics off, no real road,load nor wind resistance - none of us will ever achieve these figures as long as we have a hole in our exhausts!

Personally, I'd have been happier if Kia had done the honest thing and told me that I'd get only 30mpg from the vehicle. I would still have bought it, but I wouldn't feel cheated as I feel now.

Super car, shame about the tactics!
I would be over the moon if I could get 30 mpg, although I have only done 6000 miles from new. Hoping that it improves with age.

Steve w

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
I've got the auto version so am a bit off topic but would like to put a few minds at rest. Ours pulls a Swift Conqueror 630 and although there's only 2 of us (plus doggie) and so isn't too loaded it is a dream to tug. Have had no probs at all just pleasurable driving. MPG was poor but is getting better as the engine loosens up. At the start i was getting about 380 miles per tank and that is now about 420. This is general driving and goes up a little on long runs. Not a lot of difference solo or towing, overall really delighted.

I'm sorry that John had so much trouble with his - can only guess it must have been a "Friday afternoon car"

Tina, i too had trouble with a dealer. The one in Gloucester never returned any of my calls. Went to Worcester in the end and they have been superb. Very helpful and courteous (even let me take the dog into the waiting lounge)

Oct 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

Like Alun I'm really pleased with our Sorento - a 2.5CRDi manual that we bought last October. Mileagewise, I posted on another topic last week that our did just over 33mpg with a bit of towing involved. Just brimmed the tank today - did 518 miles and the light wasn't on yet, took 68.7l of Tescos finest diesel. Works out at just over 34mpg. This included around 70 miles towing with the 'van on the back so generally, I'm quite happy with the mileage.

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Like Alun I'm really pleased with our Sorento - a 2.5CRDi manual that we bought last October. Mileagewise, I posted on another topic last week that our did just over 33mpg with a bit of towing involved. Just brimmed the tank today - did 518 miles and the light wasn't on yet, took 68.7l of Tescos finest diesel. Works out at just over 34mpg. This included around 70 miles towing with the 'van on the back so generally, I'm quite happy with the mileage.
Hi Ken,

Those returns sound impressive, how many miles have you covered?

Mine has done 8,200 to date and is also an XE manual

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

We are averaging 32 mpg - just had 40,000 service (which was expensive.......

Oct 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi Ken,

Those returns sound impressive, how many miles have you covered?

Mine has done 8,200 to date and is also an XE manual
Alun

Our Sorento has done just over 9000 miles and is definitely losening up as the mileage goes up. Pulls much better from low revs than when we first got it. Never need to rev it above 3000 as there's plenty of oomph in the next gear. I'm about to buy one of those tuning boxes - not that I think it needs more power - but I'm expecting a decent improvement in mpg. I fitted one to a Terrano a few years ago and got an average improvement of 8mpg.

Oct 5, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

Alun

Our Sorento has done just over 9000 miles and is definitely losening up as the mileage goes up. Pulls much better from low revs than when we first got it. Never need to rev it above 3000 as there's plenty of oomph in the next gear. I'm about to buy one of those tuning boxes - not that I think it needs more power - but I'm expecting a decent improvement in mpg. I fitted one to a Terrano a few years ago and got an average improvement of 8mpg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alun

ken let us know how your tuning box goes, I would be very interested

May 3, 2005
Visit site
I was very surprised at your coments on the Sorento, I have the EX model bought new in 2003 on the strenght of the caravan Life mag. and a test drive and find it is superb towed swift 520 challenger at 1st. now Compass rallye 634 and it does everything so well tows like a dream economy mid 20,s towing mid 30,s solo.Yes steering is light especially compared to disco but build quality and car likedrive far superior. Aftersales servicing much better than any other towcar i have owned.All I can think is you must got a rare bad un!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, I agree with your comments I don't think much of the sorento. I took an extended test drive and chose not to purchase as have you have said the steering is very light but not only that but the ride quality is appalling. Combine this with a very very cheap interior, a sluggish gruff engine and you have an inferior car. You can buy a sorento in the usa for 10k on the road and 5 yrs interest free! So in reality its a very cheap car which brits pay way over the odds for.

When I thought about the amount of time spent towing against the amount of time spent solo it wasn't worth buying due to the poor driving characteristics.

Do not buy one without test driving other cars that cost 22k ( german, swedish or japanese cars) and you will realise that you will be seriously short changed if you buy the sorento

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I think it fair to say we all want and expect different things from cars, 'ones mans meat is another mans poison' I believe the saying goes. I for instance would buy nothing other than German, just my choice nothing more, Icertainly would not impress my choice on somebody else. The main point of the original post that I find most disturbing is the depreciation of these lesser main stream makes of car. I for one could not justify that loss of money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I think it fair to say we all want and expect different things from cars, 'ones mans meat is another mans poison' I believe the saying goes. I for instance would buy nothing other than German, just my choice nothing more, Icertainly would not impress my choice on somebody else. The main point of the original post that I find most disturbing is the depreciation of these lesser main stream makes of car. I for one could not justify that loss of money.
Martyn, just try and find a deal on the Sorento, new or secondhand, then come back and talk depreciation. In fact, try finding someone willing to part with one. German cars? You would be suprised at the amount that are not....german!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Martyn, just try and find a deal on the Sorento, new or secondhand, then come back and talk depreciation. In fact, try finding someone willing to part with one. German cars? You would be suprised at the amount that are not....german!
Hi Lol

I seem to have offended you I do apologise. In fact I do know where the particular German car I am refering to is built as I worked for the importer for over fifteen years. But this was not the point of my reply, I was not questioning where the Kia was made. The point of my reply was to suggest that the car in question may be fine but was not to that particular gentlemans liking as we all have tendancies towards different makes.Also

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lol

I seem to have offended you I do apologise. In fact I do know where the particular German car I am refering to is built as I worked for the importer for over fifteen years. But this was not the point of my reply, I was not questioning where the Kia was made. The point of my reply was to suggest that the car in question may be fine but was not to that particular gentlemans liking as we all have tendancies towards different makes.Also

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have Sorento 2.5 CRDi auto and it is light on the steering but pulls a 1360kg van like a draem. The autobox never seems to be out of step and on motorways will easily stay in 5th at 55-6-mph. Towing it averages 24mpg and solo it satred off at 25mpg but now with 7ooo on the clock it is at 27mpg. Its performance is far beeter thata 2000 Disoc 2.5 TD5 that I had, which was the most unreliable car that I have ever had, witha whole host of major and minor faults.

The Kia is not Audi quality of internal finish but the price represents very good value for money. The daeler Chippenham Motor Company preared the car toa high standard and gave an excellent teach in when I collected it from them.

Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have Sorento 2.5 CRDi auto and it is light on the steering but pulls a 1360kg van like a draem. The autobox never seems to be out of step and on motorways will easily stay in 5th at 55-6-mph. Towing it averages 24mpg and solo it satred off at 25mpg but now with 7ooo on the clock it is at 27mpg. Its performance is far beeter thata 2000 Disoc 2.5 TD5 that I had, which was the most unreliable car that I have ever had, witha whole host of major and minor faults.

The Kia is not Audi quality of internal finish but the price represents very good value for money. The daeler Chippenham Motor Company preared the car toa high standard and gave an excellent teach in when I collected it from them.
I have a Sorento XE 2.5 Diesel. It routinely does 32 mpg (about 60 mile per day, mainly rural), and on mixed journeys including towing gives upper 20's mpg - the last trip was about 28.

Now Kia have updated the Sportage, I am considering switching as the Sportage will be able to tow our Bailey Pageant Bordeaux, but should give better solo mpg. On a test drive, this gave a smoother ride (most vehicles would beat a Sorento on this score!), but the vehicle was automatic and felt sluggish. I would like to try a Sportage manual.

I belive a towcar review of the Sportage may be imminent (in PC), so anyone thinking of a Kia Sorento or Sportage should try both, but the verdict on towing capability (undoubtedly less capable than the Sorento as it is lighter and smaller) should prove the critical issue if you have a larger 'van.

Having said this I have had no problems with the Sorento, or with the dealer (Viking in Southampton).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts