Kia Sportage - new version

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone seen any reviews of or tried towing with the new Kia Sportage? We currently have a Sorrento 2.5D which is excellent but comparatively thirsty when solo and are attracted by the new Sportage which would make economic & environmental sense and still seem well able to tug our Bailey Pageant.

Hi Anna,

We are in the process of buying a 2.0 Kia Sportage. Looking forward to it when it eventually arrives. If you did not know the kia sportage is a high demand low supply vehicle and the waiting list is very long contrary to what you will be told at the garage. I have just been recently told by a friend with 30 years towing experience that my Kia may now not be powerful enough for towing up and down hills and overtaking on a motorway. I hope he is wrong. The sportage will be pulling our twin axle caravan upto the 85% towing weight (right on the limit). We are now wondering if we should change our minds to a Sorento!!!

P.S. any comments?! Confused of Berkshire!!!!!

Regards,

Garry and Nikki

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anna,

We are in the process of buying a 2.0 Kia Sportage. Looking forward to it when it eventually arrives. If you did not know the kia sportage is a high demand low supply vehicle and the waiting list is very long contrary to what you will be told at the garage. I have just been recently told by a friend with 30 years towing experience that my Kia may now not be powerful enough for towing up and down hills and overtaking on a motorway. I hope he is wrong. The sportage will be pulling our twin axle caravan upto the 85% towing weight (right on the limit). We are now wondering if we should change our minds to a Sorento!!!

P.S. any comments?! Confused of Berkshire!!!!!

Regards,

Garry and Nikki
Hi - thanks for that! Maybe we will hang on to our Sorrento until we have seen a few reviews of the Sportage in the caravan mags as would hate to trade in an admirable towcar for a potentially lesser one without good evidence to the contrary. That doesn't help your quandry though - good luck with whichever route you choose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Continental and American reports on the Sportage and its Hyundai equivalent cite heavy fuel consumption, vague gear change between 3 and 4, lack of feel in the steering and road holding as negative points.

Hi Everyone,

Just to bring you all upto speed, the Kia Sportage has been withdrawn from the English market because somewhere along the line in Korea they forgot to add the side and curtain air bags which are only available to the UK cars anyway!!. All models that have not yet arrived in the UK went back to the factory, however all Sportages that are already in the country will soon be on the road due to the garage doing a deal with the buyers.

We have been on to the KIA technical helpline today because we had questions about the towing capability of the Kia Sportage on the road with a 2.0 litre petrol engine. We have been assured we have no fear although it is NOT as powerful as the sorento. Allegedly, they road tested the Kia Sportage towing a caravan at Brooklands racetrack and took it up an incline successfully. Also in Australia they allegedly smashed up a Sportage to see how safe it was for the occupants and they marked it 4 out of 5.

We could waffle on but someone has to be first to purchase it, so we are going ahead. WATCH THIS SPACE

Regards,

Garry & Nikki

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
UK is not the only place where the Sportgae and Tucson is being supplied with side and curtain airbags. The versions on sale now, today, on the Continent all have 6 airbags fitted as standard. So what is the genuine reson for withdrawal of the Sportage from UK ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
UK is not the only place where the Sportgae and Tucson is being supplied with side and curtain airbags. The versions on sale now, today, on the Continent all have 6 airbags fitted as standard. So what is the genuine reson for withdrawal of the Sportage from UK ?
You are on the right track according to local dealer its something to do with type approvel thats holding up delivery watch the dealers some are asking for deposits & saying they will get you a motor within a week They WONT.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Are you sure? Who have you spoken to, this is contrary to what we have been told today by the Kia technical helpline?

Regards,

Garry and Nikki
I have found a 4-way review in "Test Drive" magazine - Sportage v new Honda CR-V v Toyota RAV4 v Nissan X-Trail. Reckoned that Sportage had worst acceleration and worst fuel economy of the group. But as we have a Sorento, which is a) slower and b) thirstier we would not necessarily worry if the financial gain is a saving of

Hi

hold fast, obviously the truth will be shaped a bit to suit the customer. but i am gonna let my new Sportage do the talking when i eventually get it. watch the forum for my comments mid june fingers crossed. had i realised it would be pistols at dawn or even fuel pumps i think i would have kept my findings to myself, no offence !!!!!

Garry and nikki

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi

hold fast, obviously the truth will be shaped a bit to suit the customer. but i am gonna let my new Sportage do the talking when i eventually get it. watch the forum for my comments mid june fingers crossed. had i realised it would be pistols at dawn or even fuel pumps i think i would have kept my findings to myself, no offence !!!!!

Garry and nikki
Thanks for your contributions - wish you well with the purchase and am sure we would be right behind you in the queue if we didn't already have the Sorrento. The test drive we had last weekend was excellent, even in the automatic, which isn't what we would go for and actually better than the review my husband was referring to (he muscled in under my name!) in 'my' last posting. We will watch for an update in June; this thread is beginning to resemble a Kia conspiracy theory in places!

TRENDING THREADS