Kia Sportage Suitable?

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Currently have a 1.6 gt line petrol Sportage and it was a nightmare trying to tow my new (to me) van a eldiss xplore 574 (single axle) with mtlmp of 1254 and that was all motorway driving,no power or gumption at all, looking at a sportage diesel a 2.0lt CRDi KX-4, 5 door auto,anybody tow with one of these and can give any views on it please? I'm hoping it will offer far more power and torque? Regards Nick.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This one crops up regularly. This website has probably the most comprehensive details but it’s always worth a cross check elsewhere. And at the end of the day you can’t beat eyeballing the chosen cars weight plates. Although if it’s a brand new delivery get written confirmation from the dealer or makers technica department store.

http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/car...g Capacity & Weight , 1900kg 24 more rows

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Friends have the 1.6d Ecotec or whatever it is and it is 1200kg. They were quite susprised at the limit.
Is it a mild hybrid? People shouldn’t be concerned at reduced towing limits. Cars wights have been steadily decreasing, engine sizes have reduced whilst output has gone up,.. The drive for ever lower average “ fleet” emissions means makers will target their vehicles to maximise sales, and caravans aren’t likely to be a big driver. But there will still be cars suitable for towing vans, it’s just the choice may narrow.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Is it a mild hybrid? People shouldn’t be concerned at reduced towing limits. Cars wights have been steadily decreasing, engine sizes have reduced whilst output has gone up,.. The drive for ever lower average “ fleet” emissions means makers will target their vehicles to maximise sales, and caravans aren’t likely to be a big driver. But there will still be cars suitable for towing vans, it’s just the choice may narrow.
Not a hybrid, no. 2013 plate diesel.
Another friend of theirs, a very experienced caravaner, helped them out, checked website and plate on the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do the 1600's not have a 1200kg towing limit?
You cannot assume that the size of an engine is the only factor that determines maximum towed weight limits. Even things a apparently small such as trim levels might affect it.

When using third party data or matching services, it is vitally important to ensure all the details of your vehicle match exactly data they use.

I could not see Nick's 1.6 gt line petrol Sportage listed in the web site Otherclive pointed to.

The only certain information you can rely on is the vehicles data plate where the GTW -GVW = the maximum axle load of trailer the car can legally tow when the car is also fully loaded to keep within the GTW limit.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Wouldn't disagree, it was fresh in my mind as I had been discussing it with my friends on Friday, relatjng to their sportage.

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
Just had a rummage through Arnold Clark's website. Sportage with an auto box in general seem to tow 1600kg, manual 1900kg although there is one 2017 plate manual that says 2000kg.
Looking at torque you gain in the region of about 120nm ish on petrol to the diesel model you quote.
Haven't a scooby what that means on the road though in towing terms.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You cannot assume that the size of an engine is the only factor that determines maximum towed weight limits. Even things a apparently small such as trim levels might affect it.

When using third party data or matching services, it is vitally important to ensure all the details of your vehicle match exactly data they use.

I could not see Nick's 1.6 gt line petrol Sportage listed in the web site Otherclive pointed to.

The only certain information you can rely on is the vehicles data plate where the GTW -GVW = the maximum axle load of trailer the car can legally tow when the car is also fully loaded to keep within the GTW limit.
Prof
i didn’t put the towcar link up for the OPs existing petrol Sportage it was for the proposed one. But I did advise to cross check data and if it is a new car for delivery to ask Kia to confirm it’s towing limits.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just had a rummage through Arnold Clark's website. Sportage with an auto box in general seem to tow 1600kg, manual 1900kg although there is one 2017 plate manual that says 2000kg.
Looking at torque you gain in the region of about 120nm ish on petrol to the diesel model you quote.
Haven't a scooby what that means on the road though in towing terms.
I had a 2.0 litre non turbo petrol auto Forester with a max tow limit of 2000 kg (150 bhp) and even towing 1300 kg it required more revs than I liked. Although it did the job. The 2.0 litre turbo diesel auto had the same tow limit but twice the torque but still 150 bhp. Forester owners told me that the difference in driving and towing was chalk and cheese compared to the non turbo petrol. So I know have the turbo Forester with the 2.0 litre Impreza engine. It’s torque is slightly higher than the diesel version but it holds it way up the Rev range. Very relaxed towing and solo.

Reactions: Cammy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts