Kidde smoke alarm chirping

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Kidde smoke alarm beeping. It is almost 3 years old. Last night at 11pm the alarm made a loud chirp giving us and the dogs a hell of a fright. When I managed to climb off the chandeliers I changed the battery, but a couple of minutes later it chirped again. Took the battery out as need a decent night's sleep after a 5 1/2 drive. Put battery back in this morning and it has not chirped again, but I have not fixed it to the ceiling. Plenty of air circulation as bathroom skylight open a bit and toilet window on night latch. Plus of course air con recirculating air. Any suggestions about it chirping? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Kidde smoke alarm beeping. It is almost 3 years old. Last night at 11pm the alarm made a loud chirp giving us and the dogs a hell of a fright. When I managed to climb off the chandeliers I changed the battery, but a couple of minutes later it chirped again. Took the battery out as need a decent night's sleep after a 5 1/2 drive. Put battery back in this morning and it has not chirped again, but I have not fixed it to the ceiling. Plenty of air circulation as bathroom skylight open a bit and toilet window on night latch. Plus of course air con recirculating air. Any suggestions about it chirping? Thanks.
It’s probably developed a fault but try it in its location with the new battery to see how it goes. it could have been some dirt. But any doubts I would change it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Coincidentally, About two weeks ago I had a Kidde smoke alarm at home do much the same thing. The battery was near flat, so changed it. The instructions told me it will beep for about 7 min when a new battery is installed, which it did.

Then two nights ago it did it again. (non of my other smoke alarms went off). I checked the unit and discovered a manufacturing date of 2008, The instructions do say the unit should be replaced every 5 years! Its worth just checking the date.

I have just got a replacement. sadly a different design so its more holes in the ceiling!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Coincidentally, About two weeks ago I had a Kidde smoke alarm at home do much the same thing. The battery was near flat, so changed it. The instructions told me it will beep for about 7 min when a new battery is installed, which it did.

Then two nights ago it did it again. (non of my other smoke alarms went off). I checked the unit and discovered a manufacturing date of 2008, The instructions do say the unit should be replaced every 5 years! Its worth just checking the date.

I have just got a replacement. sadly a different design so its more holes in the ceiling!
Thanks. The one in the caravan states it should be replaced every 5 years. I have refitted it back to the ceiling and no more chirps at present so may the extra chirp after the new battery was a "test" chirp? Will update if any more issues. Also managed to find the manual Online so a bonus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts