Knee replacement

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Anyone had a knee replacement?
If so, how long were you out of action and how did it affect your caravanning?
Can you eventually kneel again, for instance, when pegging the awning out?
Any details from other caravanners gratefully received!

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
hi
had my left knee replaced nov 2009 first trip away april 2010 with full awning think i knelt on right knee only
hardest part was no driving for six weeks afterwards .
did it affect caravanning yes had to finish work a year early so more time away.
smiley-smile.gif

it does take along time for about 3-4 years for the nerves to grow back together .
operation on the saturday out of bed walking on 2 crutches on sunday on 1 crutch monday 2 walking sticks on tuesday 1 walking stick on weds home on thurs used stick for about 2-3 weeks afterwards
would i have other one done if needed most definately.
forgot to add was hgv driver advised by consultant not to drive lorry again incase i slipped off step'
hope this helps

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
earlyriser said:
hi
had my left knee replaced nov 2009 first trip away april 2010 with full awning think i knelt on right knee only
hardest part was no driving for six weeks afterwards .
did it affect caravanning yes had to finish work a year early so more time away.
smiley-smile.gif

it does take along time for about 3-4 years for the nerves to grow back together .
operation on the saturday out of bed walking on 2 crutches on sunday on 1 crutch monday 2 walking sticks on tuesday 1 walking stick on weds home on thurs used stick for about 2-3 weeks afterwards
would i have other one done if needed most definately.
forgot to add was hgv driver advised by consultant not to drive lorry again incase i slipped off step'
hope this helps
hi based on wifes experience I would say you were fortunate, she had her left one done in also in 2009, with the right one due to be done in 2012 as it takes 2 to 3 years for the final results to be established (nerve damage, bone growth ect,) it is now 2013 but her 2nd operation never took place, as the first one did not work , at the time the consultant (surgeon) did tell her the success rate was about 70% she would probably never have full mobility back and would not be able to kneel on it or do active sports, (not that she did any in the first place) but the pain would be reduce, 4 years on it still not right. despite corrective surgery 4 lots of physio and daily exersize. she still has pain in it cannot bend it to the recommended 90 degrees and has to use sticks even for short distances and has virtually no mobility, although this is partly due to her hips now playing up,
she definitly falls into the the 30% category, and probably into the last 10% that gain no benifit from the operation at all, while there is no doubt the operation is of benifit to the majority there is still the percentage for whom it did not work, so be aware ask questions and speak to as many ex patients as possible. there are two sides to a coin and it does not allways land heads up!!.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
meals on wheels said:
Anyone had a knee replacement?
If so, how long were you out of action and how did it affect your caravanning?
Can you eventually kneel again, for instance, when pegging the awning out?
Any details from other caravanners gratefully received!

Get screw in pegs and a socket with a long bar on it. Saves kneeling down or beding. Second option is to get the wife to do it!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Both mum and uncle have had new knees, 80 & 72. She's now 88 he 79.
Neither can kneel down now BUT they can walk pain free.

I wouldn't worry about the awning. Most times there are people who will help a genuine disabled with the pegging out.
Well I know many a Woosie who will gladly help.

TRENDING THREADS