Known Issues

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I'm in NZ where there are a lot of older UK caravan's being bought in. We are working with a local dealer at the moment and will be looking at a 2000 Swift Fairway and a 1999 Swift Challenger when they arrive. Are there any known issues with these?
Another potential one is a 2001 Abi Globetrotter Jubilee 4 berth.

May also find others along the way as they seem to come in fairly regularly and we aren't in a rush.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Emma...BEWARE!!!!

Sorry to alarm you but I have a brother and sister in law in NZ (North Island) and over the past few months have been in regular contact with him, my first bit of advice was to get your self a damp meter, it seems a lot of the imported vans do suffer from damp! You will be advised to ask the dealer if you can do your own damp check first before you go prodding around. Brother in law came to the conclusion that they were getting our "left overs" The dealer may obviously give you a guarantee but make sure you get the report and better still be there when he does it.

Brother in law ended up buying a Motorhome!!!!

Good Luck

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for your reply. :) We have looked at a few places and have identified some dealers I don't think we would want to go near :) This one is semi private and so far seems pretty good and straight up about issues. I was worried about things he may not be aware of ie damp.
Would an ordinary wood damp meter be okay for measuring damp in a caravan? Looks like can get those quite cheap.
We just sold an older NZ caravan as it was a heavy horrible thing to tow and so looking at the uk caravans. My partner would love a motorhome but our budget is very constrained so would have to be looking at older bus type ones. Biggest issue for me is how we would then have another vehicle with us as don't want to be using the bus when we are going out and about. We tend to go park the caravan then use the towing vehicle to visit places, go fishing etc.

Thanks

Emma

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
EmmaD said:
Hi
Thanks for your reply. :) We have looked at a few places and have identified some dealers I don't think we would want to go near :) This one is semi private and so far seems pretty good and straight up about issues. I was worried about things he may not be aware of ie damp.
Would an ordinary wood damp meter be okay for measuring damp in a caravan? Looks like can get those quite cheap.
We just sold an older NZ caravan as it was a heavy horrible thing to tow and so looking at the uk caravans. My partner would love a motorhome but our budget is very constrained so would have to be looking at older bus type ones. Biggest issue for me is how we would then have another vehicle with us as don't want to be using the bus when we are going out and about. We tend to go park the caravan then use the towing vehicle to visit places, go fishing etc.

Thanks

Emma

Hi Emma,
yes a wood damp meter is what you require go for the best you can afford I have one of these Click here I check mine the same day we have our yearly service against the engineers readings and it is not far out (there meters are in the hundreds of pounds value!!) Think you have a similar site in NZ called Trade me, have a look on there.
The readings need to be below the 18% reading but lower if possible.
Check every where with it, under seats, around windows, walls, ceiling's especially around any roof lights etc etc. again good luck and hope you find a good one, take your time, there will be one some where.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Emma
The Swift Fairway will be a dealer special model, these are the same as normal Swift models but often with items like extra plug sockets, different upholstery or alloy wheels.
Large Swift dealerships have their own individual brand of specials, the Fairway brand is a UK dealer special from Broad Lanes Leisure
When buying a used caravan the best way to avoid the most common pitfalls is to know what to look for before you part with your money.
As Kev mentioned, damp is the biggest killer of caravans so do some research before you buy because most caravans will look nice at first glance.
Click Here for the Used Caravan Buyers Guide.
All of the rectangular buttons and the text below them down the left hand side of the main illustration are clickable links which will explain in detail what to check and what to walk away from :)
Good luck in your quest to buy a UK model caravan, hopefully armed with the knowledge of what to watch out for you'll avoid buying an expensive money pt and bag yourself a good solid tourer that will last for years.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
yes a wood damp meter is what you require go for the best you can afford I have one of these Click here

On your recommendation Sir Gagakev I have just ordered one from Amazon (cheaper than the ebay) and will check the annual service results in a couple of weeks time. On your head be it. ;)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Emma.......bear in mind if the caravans are fresh imports from the UK, then they will be equipped with UK style mains electrical sockets. You may have to use UK style plugs on any electrical appliances depending how easy it would be to convert the sockets to the NZ/ Australia style.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Emma.......bear in mind if the caravans are fresh imports from the UK, then they will be equipped with UK style mains electrical sockets. You may have to use UK style plugs on any electrical appliances depending how easy it would be to convert the sockets to the NZ/ Australia style.

Think they have stringent rules regarding the leccy Gafferbill, all imports are converted and require a certification.
Will double check with BIL when in contact again, so dont quote me on it yet...or the OP may know???

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Gagakev said:
yes a wood damp meter is what you require go for the best you can afford I have one of these Click here

On your recommendation Sir Gagakev I have just ordered one from Amazon (cheaper than the ebay) and will check the annual service results in a couple of weeks time. On your head be it. ;)

Hope it stands up to expectations :eek:hmy:
If you ask Sir Sprocket to post his piccys he converted his to be able to remove the top to get closer into the corners....I havent done mine.(YET)

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Think they have stringent rules regarding the leccy Gafferbill, all imports are converted and require a certification.
Will double check with BIL when in contact again, so dont quote me on it yet...or the OP may know???

...........you are probably right. :kiss:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts