Kojack KJ200 scissor hydraulic jack

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought one of these jacks (used) last summer and have used it to lift the caravan. When I opened the carry case just before Xmas, there was a small pool of oil in the bottom. When I tried to used the jack, it extended, but would not lift the caravan. I have conntacted Purple Line, the manufactures, I believe, but have had no response. The jack is in very good condition, but I wondered if the seals have failed. If so, has anyone any suggestions/experience of replacing them? Or any other suggestions? There is a plug marked "do not remove". Wondered if this was for topping up oil. What type of oil?
Very grateful for any advice.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've heard of similar reports of leakage. I woul return it to the supplying outlet and under Sale of Hoods Act ask for a refund. If you deal with Purpleline you cannot use the SOGA. See on web forums for any other reports of similar problems. I tend to prefer mechanical devices for roles where they are infrequently used. I excercise my hydraulic jack every 3 months even if not needing to use them. But the Kojak should be designed for occasional use as that is its intended role.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
If you deal with Purpleline you cannot use the SOGA.
Hello Clive,
That depends on where the OP purchased the jack from.
SoGA only relates to the retail purchase of goods. So normally that would be a shop /dealer/trader, but if a manufacturer sells direct to endusers, they are the retailer and SoGA applies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guess that you are right, but he may have bought it used from a retail outlet, but even so given the time since purchase its not that likely he would get any solace via the SOGA.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is often forgotten that SoGA applies to ALL retail purchases, including secondhand goods. If for example a retailer sells a jack which is second hand and does not describe it as second hand and specifically limit their liability by stating it in the items description or as part of the terms and conditions of sale then they are as liable as if the product was brand new.

Simply by stating a product is "second hand" does not adequately describe the potential weakness of a product resulting from its previous usage. It requires further clarification, such as "sold as seen" or sold with a limited guarantee, or in this case something like "seals and leaks excluded" or what ever.

The seller is legally required to supply goods fit for purpose,The primary function and almost sole purpose of jack is to be able to exert a force and lift a load (Within its stated capacity) and support it without collapsing or easing. Thus there can be little room for debate, a hydraulic jack that won't safely jack is not fit for purpose.

Incidentally There have been a number of reports on this and other forums, of this make of jack demonstrating similar faults with leaks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pablo.
Join the club!.
My first purpleline bottle jack failed , oil everywhere. They sent me a replacement foc. This was a worse failure thsn the original.
Their sarah Fayne sent me a comprehensive seal replacement kit. I have yet to install the new seals. We shall see soon.
All these jacks are made in China and I suspect the quality is clearly questionable. Hopefully once I fit all the new seals all will be well.
Contact
sarah@purpleline.co.uk.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog. I still haven't had a reply, to my original e-mail, from Purpleline, but will try Sarah direct. Hoping replacement seals are still available! Thanks again for your help.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Pablo
You might find that when you strip it down that there is damage to the bottom of the piston & damage inside the cylinder, if so then new seals will not work, its not worth the risk IMO of even trying to re-build it ....
Its basically a design fault, because the piston is not supported by the cylinder when nearing full stroke thus allowing it to twist & dig into the cylinder wall as the caravan moves up in a arc ....
I ended up getting a bottle jack from them at a reduced cost, but after finding out about the seals going on that design as-well, my new one will be going onto ebay in the near future ....
Here are some photos for you to compare any cylinder damage ...
Untitled-6.jpg

This is the piston below with one 'O' ring seal
Untitled-5.jpg

Cylinder viewed from the top
Leeds-20120716-00075.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sir Sproket CJ ( BAR)

Got your e-mail.

Is the Disco version constructed differently?
I'll strip mine down this week and see what lies beneath the peeling orange paint.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Hi Pablo.
Join the club!.
My first purpleline bottle jack failed , oil everywhere. They sent me a replacement foc. This was a worse failure thsn the original.
Their sarah Fayne sent me a comprehensive seal replacement kit. I have yet to install the new seals. We shall see soon.
All these jacks are made in China and I suspect the quality is clearly questionable. Hopefully once I fit all the new seals all will be well.
Contact
sarah@purpleline.co.uk.

Just because a product is made in China doesnt automatically mean it is of poor quality, after all they make Airbus A320, assemble lots of VWs for export etc. If the basic design is flawed then no matter what quality is applied to the manufacture you will still get a poorly, or no-functioning product. So without knowing where, and who designed, the product just automatically criticising the Chinese who made the Kojack is patently unfair.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now that is what I call a sensible solution. The simplicity of a scissor jack combined with the positioning and restraint that specifically designed lifting point will provide. Nice one Eldiss.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Hi Pablo.
Join the club!.
Contact
sarah@purpleline.co.uk.

Just because a product is made in China doesnt automatically mean it is of poor quality, after all they make Airbus A320, assemble lots of VWs for export etc. If the basic design is flawed then no matter what quality is applied to the manufacture you will still get a poorly, or no-functioning product. So without knowing where, and who designed, the product just automatically criticising the Chinese who made the Kojack is patently unfair.

I know of four failures from new. My Korean jack is fine as are the Landie ones. As I understand it , the Chinese ones are a copy design from where I don't know. Clearly something is very wrong, maybe they are priced too cheaply with no QC involved.
Airbus of course employ a vast number of QC people who oversee and work with the Chinese on product efficacy giving us all confidence.
Similarly my latest Cannon printer is made in Vietnam and does exactly what it is supposed to.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Hi Pablo.
Join the club!.
Contact
sarah@purpleline.co.uk.

With the exception of oen or two items, we have found that the Chinese stuff mostly does not work on delivery or breaks down after first use. I would rather pay the extra and have something made in the EU or elsewhere. Many electrical items coem with CE stamping on the box which indciates it is approved for use in the EU however in many cases apparently the CE stands for Chinese Export in an attempt ot mislead consumers.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. The same thing used to be said about Japanese and Korean stuff too. I recall many years ago that a colleague bought a brand new Mark 1 Golf. It was his pride and joy, but kept going wrong and then the rust bug hit it. He then bought a 'stange' littel Japanese car called a Datsun Cherry. It was remarkably reliable although still affected by the rust bug, as were most cars at the time. After that he never went back to a Europen car. I have had good Chinese purchases and some poorer ones, but my experience of EU or Asian, US purchases is also mixed. That's why I tend to research most items to be bought, but it is only a guide when all is said and done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their replies, especially Sprocket for the helpful photos. Will open things up and see what's inside....probably just a can of worms!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts