L & D Lines

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
I must say how impressed I was with this service for Portsmouth to Le Harve, night sailing and the the evening crossing from Le Harve.

The return crossing was the new ship but both were spotless!

On the return we wasn't watched on the ship on either side and it wasn't until we got home we realised we had lost both back Big Feet!

So do take care on their new 'Norman Voyager'!

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Allyson,

Your post was pleasing to read, we're doing the same crossings with LD, leaving Portsmouth on Monday night for 3 weeks in the Vendee.

I wonder if you could answer a couple of queries i've got please? Firstly, what time do they let you start boarding? We've got 2 kids with us, booked an outside cabin, and were hoping to get on a bit earlier with it not leaving til 23.00.

Also, what is the food like for breakfasts? I wasn't overly impressed with Brittany Ferries last year for the kids meals.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you had a great holiday,

Lara.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi.

Sorry to ready about loosing your feet on your caravan feet on the LD ferry. I travel on this route often and have seen it happen but not to mine yet. I have also seen it happen with P&O who use to run this route. I think the problem maybe tidal but cannot be sure.

The food I have experienced on LD is ok. It is a fairly basic service which is reflected in the price normally being cheaper than Brittany,

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Both

We arrived at early at 8.30 where sent through to the lines straight away but didn't board until 10.15 this was because the boat was in late due to bad weather. Sailed around 11.30 but made uo the time in the morning. We also had outside cabins much better then B.F. this ship was basic but spotless.

Evening meal was self service like Andrew said and we had a curry rice / chips

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi Allyson,

That's brilliant, thank you for that. We're staying not far from where you were, we're at Le Pin Parasol, about 6 miles inland from St Giles Croix de Vie. Went there last year and loved it.

I think we're probably doing a similar route down, I've been on Michelen route finder and it's 300 miles. I was wondering how long it would take,(last year we came down from St Malo) so thanks again for letting me know about that and the tolls.

I've also got my Nationwide card at the ready!

Last year i did most of the shopping at Hyper-u in Aizenay, so hopefully the fuel prices will be similar.

Just wondering about the U-turn you had to do on the ferry, was that the same for all 'vans? We've got an 8m twin axle towed by a 4 x 4, don't know if we'll manage it?!!!

Thanks again,

Lara.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
I read an article by John Wickersham somewhere - Practical Caravan maybe - saying he had found a small scrape on the side of a twin axle after doing such a u-turn on a ferry. Take it wide perhaps.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
We went from St Malo last year too, this ferry company does not block you in like Britany Ferries does, last year we had to claim over A frames with bikes on, whilst they walked off!

There was only us and another van on the ferry along with a trailer tent they alll did the same.

We have a Bailey Burgundy 24ft and a freelander which is useless when it comes to turning, I did it yes me :) so you can do it I am sure!

I am sure if there was any concern of damaging your van they will take the van off and put it in position, they use to do this 30 years ago when I went to France with my parents!

I saw the Hyper market whilst returning from La Rochelle via Challons.

Allyson

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Pleased to hear they don't block you in like Brittany, last year i was expecting to come back to find a dent in the car or the 'van! Fortunately we were lucky!

As my husband said, they wouldn't have booked us on if we weren't going to fit. Not sure who'll be driving it on,we usually share the driving, but you've got rid of my fears!

Thanks Mike, i'll be careful and set up properly before the turn.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Lara

I forgot to mention there are alot of steep hills there and back between from Caen down to Rennes not all the way but there are quite a few look out for the crawler lane!

Also you have the two hugh bridges in Le Havre and you know about the one in Nantes.

Have a nice time. :)

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi again Allyson!

I'm just wondering what made you choose the route you took through France? I put it into the Michelin web site, and it gives the quickest (and most recommended route) down past Le Mans, Angers and towards La roche-sur-yon. Tolls given as a total of 39.80 Euros, distance of 300 miles, 281 on motorways, giving a journey time of 4 1/2 hrs.

I've checked it on the map (I prefer them to the Sat Nav, which i'll only use occasionally as a back up) and there's no dodgy back roads!! I'm also adding about an hour on the time, with having the 'van on the back.

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Pressed the wrong button again before i'd finished!! Just wondering which route was the best, preferably the quickest, cos the kids are desperate to get there! Leaving tomorrow lunch time, can't wait!

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Lara

I to printed off from the Mitch site, whiclst on ship waiting to get off we put the Garmin on and followed that, hope that answer your question.

We were on good roads all the way down with out paying the cost that you mentioned I know we hit some steep hills including the two steep bridges but we had a good run both ways, wind stoped up getting there any quicker!

Hope this helps, have a good holiday!

Allyson

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts