L-R Discovery vs Renault Espace

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Fifth Gear have staged and filmed a head-on crash between a Discovery and an Espace. When you see the results you'll want to get rid of your Disco's pdq!

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Funny you should say that Roger, my friend hit a Volvo head on with his Disco and the Disco went away on a low loader with a knackered steering coloumn and pedal box. The Volvo drove afterwards, not really the result I'd expect.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh Dear, Oh Dear

Thats going to upset all the Land Rover "enthusiasts" out there, unreliable and with the strength of an orange box.

chortle, chortle

Happy motoring

ps It must be knock Land Rover week!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Interestingly, my brother-in-law worked on prototype build at L-R some years ago when they were developing the last Range-Rover before BMW took over. During the crash testing at Mira, the separate chassis concept was giving real problems, apparently the chassis frame was too stiff to absorb damage and the body was too weak to resist it. These tests were the direct reason that BMW developed the X5 with an integral chassis, not a separate frame.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
You know more about it than me Roger, but that seems to make sense. If the chassis is very rigid the body is bound to fold around it. Is this not partly why manufacturers switched to tubs etc?

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
all u need to do is look at the ncap ratings to see how good or

bad a vehicle does.

alas your statement does not please me like it should, if the

discovery was towed away, and the espace was ok, then thats not

good.

all new cars have crumple zones as i am sure u are awhere, the

vehicle is not important,the passengers are, so its no good looking to see which vehicle is left standing,so to speak, its

important that the impact shock is passed around passengers.

so it looks like the discovery may well be the safer car to be in

which is strange as only a few large 4x4 rate highly..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
all u need to do is look at the ncap ratings to see how good or

bad a vehicle does.

alas your statement does not please me like it should, if the

discovery was towed away, and the espace was ok, then thats not

good.

all new cars have crumple zones as i am sure u are awhere, the

vehicle is not important,the passengers are, so its no good looking to see which vehicle is left standing,so to speak, its

important that the impact shock is passed around passengers.

so it looks like the discovery may well be the safer car to be in

which is strange as only a few large 4x4 rate highly..
Even stranger that someone would want to drive off in a car that's just been in an accident.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Giovanni - it was specifically on intrusion into the passenger compartment that the Discovery did so badly - Espace occupants would have walked away, those in the Discovery wouldn't have any legs left!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But surely the whole idea is not to crash? We can all come up with that type of story.It's just a fluke in thee way it happened. I once had to recover a Vauxhall Victor which had been written off by a boy on a bike!!!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I have only seen the photo's of this stunt as the programme is not on untill next week but from what i have seen they have pitched the latest espace with a euro ncap 5 star rating against a discovery whos design goes back over 15 years, what are they trying to prove ?. I would have thought it pretty obvious which car would come off worse, now lets try the stunt with the new discovery. not too long ago top gear did exactely the same thing but used a new model espace against the model it replaced, they concluded that all the passengers in the old model would have been killed or very seriously injured. testing new models against old models just does not work all it gets is publicity for whoever carries out the stunt.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Yes there could be something in that. My post wasn't intended to start yet another LR debate, I just told what happened to my mate's Disco, which was Y reg, (the Volvo a mid '90s 740). What concerned me most was what happened to the steering column at relatively low speed. At higher speed in a similar accident it would likely have penetrated my friends abdomen, possibly fatally, and I thought the steering column was of major consideration in an accident. I do concede that Topgear is more about stunts than informative journalism. Also, Lol, I didn't say the Volvo was driven afterwards, I said it drove. Not far, but out of the way, which the Disco couldn't. I'm neither a LR lover nor hater, but the result of that accident was not what I would have expected at all.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
As a note: The current shape Renault Espace won the accolade of "The Safest Car Ever Made" beating every other car ever made! Thats why I drive one, I value the contents more than anything else in the world. My Family!!

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
As another note: Caravanners harp on and on about the safe towing speeds and the 85% rule, but take little or no notice about the NCAP safety ratings of the vehicles they drive. Just look at "Tow Car Of The Year" The Kia Sorento.....How many stars, The Kia website is to embarrased to tell you, because its a lot less than 5 stars. You wont look so clever when a Discovery hits you head on!

If acravanners really were cocerned about safety they would all be driving Renaults!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
just one more note Simon, you are saying it is safer to tow at 114% with a espace than it is to do it at 83% with a discovery.

NICE ADVICE!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Interestingly, my brother-in-law worked on prototype build at L-R some years ago when they were developing the last Range-Rover before BMW took over. During the crash testing at Mira, the separate chassis concept was giving real problems, apparently the chassis frame was too stiff to absorb damage and the body was too weak to resist it. These tests were the direct reason that BMW developed the X5 with an integral chassis, not a separate frame.

thanks roger, mixed up your post with the following one as well!

now that sounds much better...to me

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
sparks.

u asked for the yeay of the discovery and the year of the renault.

is there a reason why?

just to add the older discoveries are not much good, and the newer discovery is not as good as the renault......

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I asked because I wanted the facts before commenting.

IF you knew anything about physics you would know that there are too many variables to take into account in any head on crash to say one car is better than another. Thats what NCAP is for, to give a direct comaprison. Please also note that Renault is subsadised by the French government, a thing that does not happen with many other manufacturers.

If it was a fair test then both new versions would have been used. but, as usual the press find fun in trying to prove a point.

People can drive what they want, but I realy hope someone listens to the advice Simon has given and then sues him when it goes tits up.

As for Renault, and owning one. I like my cars to be safe, yes. BUT I ALSO LIKE THEM TO LAST MORE THAN 3 WEEKS before they rust to the ground!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just one more note Simon, you are saying it is safer to tow at 114% with a espace than it is to do it at 83% with a discovery.

NICE ADVICE!
Where is Simon saying anything about towing at 114%? I am using Firefox browser and I can't see that post anywhere.

Happy motoring

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Where is Simon saying anything about towing at 114%? I am using Firefox browser and I can't see that post anywhere.

Happy motoring
he states that every caravanner should be towing with an espace. that means with my van a ratio of 114%

Sorry, I was a bit cryptic there

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
sparkes...

sorry i do not understand the french government bit?

and about it not being fare?

and for that matter your ncap quote, as i have already said the

renault does pretty good at that.

which is something older discoveries don't!

not a renault fan but you mention rust! am i on life on mars,

as that is based in 1973? as its 2006, i find it strange you should mention rust in 3 weeks!

but if it is indeed 1973, then its strange you didn't mention

british leyland, and rust....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts