La Garangeoire

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
enjoyed two holidays on this site. Can definitely recommend it. Has the biggest pitches I've ever came across, if you want you can book serviced pitches with water and drainage facilities.

Restaurant, two bars and takeaway on site,plus outdoor heated swimming pool. All facilities kept very clean, site well run, has night watchman who ensures there is no excessive noise at night. Staff very helpful.

The coast is nearby, les Sables D'ollone and St Jean de Monts are close by. La Rochelle is roughly about an hour and a half drive away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is in our opinion one of the best sites in the Vendee. A lot of brits but a very nice site well run. It is also nice to be slightly away from the coast. Yes the pitches are spacious and a few are really double pitches. The one next to us had 2 twin axle vans, 2 4x4's plus 2 awnings and room for 2 tables !!!

This year we went another site in vendee which was good but no where near as good as la Garangeoire

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
This is in our opinion one of the best sites in the Vendee. A lot of brits but a very nice site well run. It is also nice to be slightly away from the coast. Yes the pitches are spacious and a few are really double pitches. The one next to us had 2 twin axle vans, 2 4x4's plus 2 awnings and room for 2 tables !!!

This year we went another site in vendee which was good but no where near as good as la Garangeoire
Tracey,

my wife & I have just returned from 2 weeks at La Garangeoire & I can whole heartedly endorse all of the comments so far.

The site is listed as 4* but in my humble opinion it is much better than that.

I stayed on one of the Grand comfort pitches & it was HUGE.

Best toilets & showers I have ever come across, cleaned to perfection at least twice a day.

Site was clean & well presented, and at the time of our stat the CC&C club annuall rally was there as well. Spoke to many people, English, Dutch, Belgian & French, no one had an advrese comment about the site.

Oh & by the way, if you book directly with them they don't ask for the remainder untill the day before you leave! how quaint old fashioned & trusting is that?

GeorgeB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tracey

Can I ask what ferry/route you are thinking of taking?

We have booked this site for next year. We are going over on the St Malo ferry, which I must admit i'm not keen as it's ten hours. We are also having 4 nights Chateau des ormes before returning. Which we went to this year, great site. We did think about the caen ferry but my husband thought a good sleep on the St Malo ferry would be better, which is okay for him as he doesn't get sea sick!

Has anyone reading this done the St malo ferry, if so how was it?

Lisa

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Fantastic site.....Its a good drive to the coast though. Plenty to do on site and locally with a fantastic pool complex.....try and stay away from the beaches as they are covered in sand! It plays havoc in your van.....

about 1km away is a huge resovoir with amazing water sports, cycling and walking.

Would thoroughly recommend.

We always go via Plymouth - Roscoff ----6 hours on the ferry, time for some vino, a meal then a short sleep before your drive.

Have fun!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tracey

We have booked this site for next year. We are going over on the St Malo ferry, which I must admit i'm not keen as it's ten hours. We are also having 4 nights Chateau des ormes before returning. Which we went to this year, great site. We did think about the caen ferry but my husband thought a good sleep on the St Malo ferry would be better, which is okay for him as he doesn't get sea sick!

Lisa
Hi Lisa, Think we will probably be going Newhaven - dieppe again its a 4hr crossing which we did this year but for return trip with cabin each way, 2 adult 3 kids and 8m van was only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tracey

Lisa
We did the Portsmouth to St malo route this year and have used this route many times to France. We like this route because it normally sails at about 8.30 p.m. from Portsmouth which is great for a good meal and then a good nights sleep. You get off nice and early and can get to sites in the vendee early afternoon. However we don't like the return trip from St malo as it sails at about 10.45 a.m. French time and you have a long day on the boat which can be a bit boring. We tend to travel back from Cherbourg to Poole which is much quicker.

The only downside to these routes is the increasing costs espeially if you travel at peak holiday periods.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts