Lakeside campsite Switzerland

Apr 21, 2005
Visit site
Looking for a campsite for a touring caravan on a lakeside in Switzerland. Would like to be near the mountains and also within walking distance of a town. We have already stayed at Manor Farm in Interlaken but would like the same sort of area but in a different location. Have searched the Internet but would prefer personal experience. Thanks in advance.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Helen

When we visited the Bernese Oberland a few years back we stayed in the Village of Brienze. This may be too near to your previous site in Interlaken but I have included my review below.

Regarding sites when we actually stayed in the Bernese Oberland a few years back when I looked at Manor Farm, Lazy Rancho and the other central Interlaken sites at the end of July I found them very crowded and was not too impressed. We found two very pleasant alternative sites in the village of Brienz. This is at the far end of the Brienzersee from Interlaken. Both sites are in the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe guide. Below is a copy of a review I wrote soon after our visit.

The 2 sites are both right on the lakeside. There is

Camping Seegartli Tel 033 9511351

This is quite a small site with the only facilities being toilets, launderette and hookups but it in superb position right on the lakeside. We turned up without booking and stayed for nearly 2 weeks. We had a superb lakeside pitch - our van was about 2 metres from the water's edge with uninterupted views along the Brienzer See towards interlaken and the mountains. The pitches are quite close together but it is worth it for the superb lakeside setting. It is run by a interesting man who lives on site. Although a little officious at times by the end of the visit he had become very friendly. At the end of our stay he actually came out onto the road to stop the traffic to allow us to pull out!!

Camping Aaregg Tel: 03395111843, Email: camping-aaregg@bluewin.ch Website: www.aaereg.ch

Aareg is the bigger of the 2 with more facilities. snack bar, shop, etc. It is is on the same minor road as Seegartli, a little further on. We looked at this but too but chose Seegartli. Our sons regularly paddled their inflatable along the lake from Seegartli to Aareg to buy sweets at the latter campsite's shop!

Both sites feature in the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" (Vol 2) which I would recommend both volumes as an essential guide for caravanning on the Continent.

Both sites are very close to the picturessque lakeside village of Brienz which is famous for woodcarving. It is quiter than Interlaken which we found rather busy at times. It has its own railway station, mountain railway and lake boat station within walking distance of the campsite.

We bought a combined rail and cable car pass and hardly used the car all the time that we were on the site. The rail pass gave us access to all the main peaks including the spectacular Jungfraujoch with its glacier and ice cavern and Schilthorn made famous in the James Bond Film "On her Majesty's Secret Secret Service". Alhtough our children were quite young we were able to walk in the mountans by using the cable cars and walking between them.

Interlaken and Meringen are within easy travelling distance and the valley floor is flat enough for cycling. We cycled to Meringen and the nearby Reichenbach falls, where Sherlock Holmes "died"!!?? and, also, visited the Sherlock Holmes Museum in the former English Church in Meringen. En route a very helpful Swiss motorist stopped and, in perfect English, directed us to a beautiful minor road for cycling - all orchards and flower-decked chalets, cos he thought the main road was too busy for our family cycle!! Meringen, also, had a wonderful selection of, free-to-use outdoor toys in a public square near the centre of the town. Our boys had a great time there.

Just writing this brings back many happy memories of a super caravan holiday in staggeringly beautiful surroundings. Switzerland is, also, a very clean and efficient country. Although the campsites were not too expensive we found that food and other things tended to be and I hear that has got worse in 2009 with the present financial situation.

It was a really memorable holiday and still brings back many happy memories.

If you are following my recommendation of Brienz I would recommend staying on the A8 Mway all the way to eastern end of the Brienzersee and then turning onto the Route 6 for Brienz. The alternative road along the northern side of the lake from Interlaken to Brienz is quite narrow and has overhanging rock outcrops which are bit dodgy for caravans

I hope this helps.

Tim

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Helen,

If you have a look at the Caravan Channel website there is a video site review of Camping Aaregg site, having been featured sometime last year - very nice.

G

Did not camp at the site as we stayed with friends but Lugano is a lovely lakeside town with a campsite by the side of it, and is only 20 mins from Italy so you can go shopping cheaper there (thats what the locals do)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts