lane control

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
anyone get fed up of drivers not using the correct lane or entering via a acceleration lane and expecting you to give way,makes you feel like asking them to put an updated copy of the highway code on their christmas list

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not half! Have just come back from SE London to Devon at the weekend. M25 drivers are absolute numpties with their lack of lane discipline. Why do they stick in lane 2-3 doing 50-55mph, refuse to pull into the almost empty lane 3-4 to allow you to pull out from lane 1 to overtake the big heavy in front of you? M5 is generally ok, south of Bristol but anybody wearing a trilby or pork pie hat also has no lane discipline. And why is is that we vanners who generally occupy lane 1, tend to get there quicker because there's hardly any other traffic in it? Then when you do try to overtake them, they suddenly see a van in their mirrors, which they don't use the rest of the time and speed up. I try to use my car's cruise control, setting it at 62-3 mph to allow for a legal actual 60mph. This is the most economical speed as the car's auto box just slips into 5th and gives us 24mpg. However, this is very difficult to maintain due to other driver's complete inattention to their speed, and a twitchy right leg!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
know that feeling well Mike.I used to work in saudi and the arabs said "i am the only one on the road i am the only one that matters"seems to be the same here too

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mike & CoPaul,

I too find it frustrating when the near side lane is relatively clear and some drivers persist in staying in the middle or offside lanes.

That is technically a driving offence, and I do not support it. equally I don't support the increasing habit of some drivers who decide to overtake in the nearside lane, which is also very dangerous and of course also a traffic offence.

With regard to the actual speed, Mike in the same way that you have found (or choose) to drive at 62-3 mph indicated for max economy it is entirely possible that others may find that 50 to 55 mph is most economical for them, BUT of course they should do that in the nearside lane so faster traffic an overtake safely and correctly.

Mike you claim that you believe that an indicated 62-3 is genuinely only 60, how have you checked your real speed?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JohnL - simple to check my actual speed as the car is fitted with SatNav and a trip computer, which is far more accurate than the speedo. Just ask the computer to calculate the average speed at an indicated 63mph, and the answer comes up at 60mph.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
JohnL - simple to check my actual speed as the car is fitted with SatNav and a trip computer, which is far more accurate than the speedo. Just ask the computer to calculate the average speed at an indicated 63mph, and the answer comes up at 60mph.
Fair comment!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do the same with my sat nav Mike, it is more accurate over a distance than the speedo, probably because it is not subject to the same laws as a speedo.

Jul 29, 2005
Visit site
Cmon guys we all do it, stay in the middle lane because we don't want to go into the nearside one. Do it a lot myself, why do you all spend so much time bickering about such petty things?If it's not 4x4's it's hgv's. Anyone that doesn't tow a caravan slag us off for being too slow inconsiderate, selfish... get the pattern everyone moans about everyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cmon guys we all do it, stay in the middle lane because we don't want to go into the nearside one. Do it a lot myself, why do you all spend so much time bickering about such petty things?If it's not 4x4's it's hgv's. Anyone that doesn't tow a caravan slag us off for being too slow inconsiderate, selfish... get the pattern everyone moans about everyone.
dont think its bikering Big R just a point of view with like minded people it is after all a forum,and just for the record i did'nt mention 4x4 or hgv but i do drive both

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts