Laptop does it all!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I have just been scanning through the latest PC mag and come across the above item. However, do you have to have a new all-singing laptop in order to receive a TV signal? (Alas my equipment is getting on a bit!) Please can someone explain, in simple language, how we manage to use our laptop to receive TV, together with a Sky box, programmes whilst away in our caravan?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi

You don't need a modern laptop to receive TV so long as it's got USB ports. I bought a Hauppage tv unit from PC World which has one lead to plug into a USB port and another to plug into the tv aerial socket. It's an analogue unit which will enable you to receive all the normal channels (BBC1,2, ITv1, Ch4 and 5) plus (sometimes) some of the free Sky channels. It all depends on the area you are in. The future is in digital but some of the areas you might be caravanning in are not ready for digital yet. You don't need a Sky box or satellite dish if you just want to watch the basic channels.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi

You don't need a modern laptop to receive TV so long as it's got USB ports. I bought a Hauppage tv unit from PC World which has one lead to plug into a USB port and another to plug into the tv aerial socket. It's an analogue unit which will enable you to receive all the normal channels (BBC1,2, ITv1, Ch4 and 5) plus (sometimes) some of the free Sky channels. It all depends on the area you are in. The future is in digital but some of the areas you might be caravanning in are not ready for digital yet. You don't need a Sky box or satellite dish if you just want to watch the basic channels.
I would be interested to try this out as I always take my laptop anyway to watch DVDs when its raining etc,how much does this gizmo cost and are they all the same or are there different ones for each laptop.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are different ones.

My shop got me one 3 years ago and it showed a remote control on the box but when it came it had a picture of the remote on te screen and you had to use the laptop keyboard to select chanels etc.

This was unsuitable for out purposes but I believe that they are available with a remote now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw one on the gedget show last night, it gave freeview, was small and light and came with a small antenae. It was powered from the USB and would be ideal for caravanning if reception is good. The didn't say where it could be bought from or for how much, but I think that the show gets repeated later on in the week if you would like to check it out.

http://gadgetshow.five.tv/index.htm is the web address but the only thing they do not mention is the device your looking for!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw one on the gedget show last night, it gave freeview, was small and light and came with a small antenae. It was powered from the USB and would be ideal for caravanning if reception is good. The didn't say where it could be bought from or for how much, but I think that the show gets repeated later on in the week if you would like to check it out.

http://gadgetshow.five.tv/index.htm is the web address but the only thing they do not mention is the device your looking for!
http://www.freecom.com/ecNewsitem.asp?ID=4125

Found it!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've pasted maplins offer below for anyone who is interested

This gadget is on the opening page at www.maplin.co.uk

It is the DVB-T USB DIGITAL TV STICK @

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looks good for use in UK.

To get reception abroad, I think you would still need to consider a Satellite system.

See www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk

Dec 18, 2005
Visit site
If you have an old laptop it may only have a USB 1 port.

To get a good picture I recommend using USB 2. You can buy a PCMCIA card with USB 2 (assuming your laptop has a slot).

Alternatively, if your laptop has a PC cardbus slot you could try something like the LifeView http://www.lifeview.com.tw/html/products/dual_tv/flydvbt_duo_cardbus.htm which will do analog & digital for any TV standard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts