Laptops suitable for caravan sites

Mar 22, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a laptop suitable for using at a caravan site and explain how they work without a tel point. I have an ordinary PC at home but I am not PC literate as you can see but go away for weeks on end and would like to access my emails. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Isabel

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The technology used to gain access to the internet at campsites is called WI-Fi, it will be a feature on even the cheapest laptop.

Wi-Fi, "hotspots", transmitters abound everywhere however most available for public access require a subscription. In the case of those used by the Caravan Club it is extremely expensive for the casual user, its really a business man's system.

However places like McDonalds, J D Whetherspoons and many libraries provide completely free Wi-Fi. Also there are groups you can join like FON that permit you to share other individuals domestic Wi-Fi.

Back to the computer: if its only emails, a bit of web browsing and word processing that you need it for then buy the very cheapest you can find, even the sub

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I should have also have mentioned there is another technology using the mobile phone network. For this you need a special USB modem that plugs into your laptop.

Others will be much better able to tell you the details of these, I use Wi-Fi extensively here and abroad so have not gone into this alternative technology.

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Isabel,

For a lap top as JTQ says, most will work. For use on site, wireless or a long term cheaper option may be mobile broad band. Search this forum on "broadband" and you can seek a lot more information. I have found WI-FI at sites is very hit and miss as it depends on signal strength and the cost is high per day. In my opinion mobile broadband offers a cheaper deal than the sites can offer, but again you can use free WI-FI at certain places, it depends it you want to sit in your caravan in comfort or not. Also search the web for mobile broad band deals - 3G for doing 3gig for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are in an area that you think is a Wifi hotspot how can you tell from the laptop. Is there some sort of popup telling you it is available?

I understand that places like McD's have free Wifi access but how do you log into them.

A step by step instruction would be helpfull to this PC Plonker.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clive

You need to click on the 'television' icon at the bottom right of your screen. It'll have a red cross on it.

You then click the tab 'view wireless networks' and the McDonald's network will appear. Simply click on 'connect' and you're away. It might ask you for a security key - but if it's free, I wouldn't have thought so. If it does, simply ask for the manager who will give it to you.

Wait a few moments and you're connected.

Bit techie but you need to make sure that when you set up your home network, your settings are set to 'obtain an IP address automatically.' This is pretty standard now - but if you find you can't connect to the McDonald's network, it'll be this that is holding you back for sure.

Any issues - please e-mail me.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts