Latest on line Scam!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We all use on line shopping.
DPD have been attacked. Scam emails you saying your parcel wasn’t delivered . Pay £3.00 on line for delivery tomorrow. Ignore and bin it. Sadly I have tried to contact DPD but their website doesn’t engage!
Hi Dusty Just received email from DPD saying you were out and there was no place to leave but i have been in all day and you need to rescheduled a delivery so i think this a scam so i have deleted it

Reactions: Dustydog
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The simple answer is that if there is a hyperlink to click on it will likely be a scam mail. Also hold you mouse over the hyperlink and look at the bottom left corner of the screen where it will display the address of where you are going if you click on the hyperlink - and it will bear no relationship with DPD's real address! The mail will also likely be addressed to 'Dear Customer' or 'Dear {your email address}' whereas a real mail will be addressed to you by name.

If the hyperlink is a bit.ly address, copy and paste the address into the URL bar and add a + to the end of it (no space) then hit enter. It will show you if the destination is valid or not. Tinyurl has a similar capability but it is a little more complicated to use.

Reactions: Parksy

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
While there are undoutably scams about delivery charges it would appear that since we are no longer part of the EU, ordering items from there may incur additional duty and delivery charges which are supposed to be collected by the couriers. It would seem that couriers and even Royal Mail are adding charges on to cover this.

Well at least according to the item on the Beeb web site, which is not owned by Trump so could be fake news :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Had an automated phone call, this morning, from a mobile phone number
079610 759944 telling me I had £1004.99 ordered on my Amazon account. If I did press 1 if I didnt press 2.
I put the phone down checked my account and then reported it to Action fraud.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
While there are undoutably scams about delivery charges it would appear that since we are no longer part of the EU, ordering items from there may incur additional duty and delivery charges which are supposed to be collected by the couriers. It would seem that couriers and even Royal Mail are adding charges on to cover this.

Well at least according to the item on the Beeb web site, which is not owned by Trump so could be fake news :)
Don’t know about RM but some of the couriers such as FEDEX and DPD are charging additional delivery charges to cover the extra costs associated with delivering to U.K. Some businesses too are deciding not to supply to U.K. as they don’t wish to register with HMRC and collect our VAT on behalf of HMRC.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had an automated phone call, this morning, from a mobile phone number
079610 759944 telling me I had £1004.99 ordered on my Amazon account. If I did press 1 if I didnt press 2.
I put the phone down checked my account and then reported it to Action fraud.
On past reports you won’t get anything via Action Fraud, especially since you have not actually been defrauded of anything but your time. 😂

May 7, 2012
Visit site
No organisation uses recorded messages to tell you that you owe money so they are all scams. The idea is that if you are taken in you have to press nine or dial a number given to you. This is another scam as it means not only are they after your money, but they are making you pay for the call.
My problem at the moment is that having renewed my mobile I have lost all the blocked numbers and I am having to block some people trying to tell me I have had an accident, but who have no idea when or what it was. They are leeches so ignore them and there patter is so ridiculous it makes me wonder how anyone is taken in.
The last call I got was they were wanting to review my life insurance, they are blocked now.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i got a new mobile Doro for my birthday but i am waiting until the credit runs out on my old mobile phone (£10 then i hope to transfers the block numbers over .

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had the DPD scam attempt too.
Never click on any URL links
View attachment 1084
Particularly around Christmas time, I can order many items, and often the sender is not specific about who will be carrying it. I have received a number of similar texts or emails. Fortunately most delivery companies have a tracking facility based on the parcel reference number. and if you take the number in the message and try it in the companies genuine site (Don't use any links in the message) it will often show it as an error becasue the details don't match.

However the first sign I saw in the example Parksy posted was the over sized "Q" in the middle of the page.. Often a tell tale of something not quite right.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
i got a new mobile Doro for my birthday but i am waiting until the credit runs out on my old mobile phone (£10 then i hope to transfers the block numbers over .

Not quite sure what you mean by 'transfers block numbers over'?
If you mean your contacts list just go into the setup and make sure your contacts are stored on the SIM card or both SIM and phone. Then put the SIM into your new phone and all of your contacts will be there.
If you mean transfer your number to the new phone most Doro phones are supplied unlocked so inserting the SIM from your old phone should make it work. [ISTR BT/EE sometimes lock Doro phones but most others don't.] If your old SIM is the wrong size for your new phone and you cannot snap it to the required size (e.g. you are using a nano SIM and your new phone needs a mini SIM (i.e. much bigger) take both phones to a shop of your service provider and they will give you a new SIM free and swap the number (and contacts) free of charge. Take formal ID with you and make sure you know your own number.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean by 'transfers block numbers over'?
If you mean your contacts list just go into the setup and make sure your contacts are stored on the SIM card or both SIM and phone. Then put the SIM into your new phone and all of your contacts will be there.
If you mean transfer your number to the new phone most Doro phones are supplied unlocked so inserting the SIM from your old phone should make it work. [ISTR BT/EE sometimes lock Doro phones but most others don't.] If your old SIM is the wrong size for your new phone and you cannot snap it to the required size (e.g. you are using a nano SIM and your new phone needs a mini SIM (i.e. much bigger) take both phones to a shop of your service provider and they will give you a new SIM free and swap the number (and contacts) free of charge. Take formal ID with you and make sure you know your own number.
Hi Woodentop i have block numbers in my old phone i would have to write down and put them in the new phone , thanks for the information about taking the new mobile to service provider because i having problems with the micro sim and they can sort it for me . i have problems with my fine motor skills due to generalised arthritis, doing the simplest of tasks like buttons is difficult.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Don’t know about RM but some of the couriers such as FEDEX and DPD are charging additional delivery charges to cover the extra costs associated with delivering to U.K. Some businesses too are deciding not to supply to U.K. as they don’t wish to register with HMRC and collect our VAT on behalf of HMRC.

In today’s Times it reports that RM are charging a flat rate £8, whereas DHL have a minimum of £11 or 2.5% of the required VAT whichever is the higher. Customers are being asked to pay additional charges to get their goods released and unfortunately many don’t know that these charges are coming, some then refuse to pay and the carrier had to return the goods to the supplier; reports indicate that suppliers are deciding it’s not worth the hassle of collecting VAT on behalf of HMRC etc and no longer supplying UK. A few years back I bought some super loud air horns and a custom mounting bracket from the US. They were a good price when ordered but the payment to release them from customs came as a shock. We live and learn.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Spammers also have a new 'Amazon Prime' ruse - something about an ipad ordered on our account (that we don't have!) and to press 2 if you generated the order and press 1 otherwise. Tying hard as failed to fool me 3x today with the identical recorded message. Still BEWARE all!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Spammers also have a new 'Amazon Prime' ruse - something about an ipad ordered on our account (that we don't have!) and to press 2 if you generated the order and press 1 otherwise. Tying hard as failed to fool me 3x today with the identical recorded message. Still BEWARE all!
The main Amazom scam is regarding your subscription expiring.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I seldom get rogue phone calls - maybe two or three a year - but I'm still cautious. A few days ago I canceled my Amazon Prime subscription after the free period. Then a couple of days ago I got the Amazon Prime expiring call. Hung up immediately.

Makes you wonder if you're being watched but I suspect with the number of calls issued they'll hit someone who's just canceled.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I seldom get rogue phone calls - maybe two or three a year - but I'm still cautious. A few days ago I canceled my Amazon Prime subscription after the free period. Then a couple of days ago I got the Amazon Prime expiring call. Hung up immediately.

Makes you wonder if you're being watched but I suspect with the number of calls issued they'll hit someone who's just canceled.

The question is of course where did they get your number? Not long after my post I got the Prime membership expiring call. Hung up instantly. Makes me wonder?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
They just try a block of numbers randomly. Last year many of us in the same area got a call saying our BT Broadband was expiring or something like that, even though many of us weren't with BT

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The spammers know the format of phone numbers and use machines to phone numbers using the format, on the basis they will hit enough and any not in use cost nothing. Some are aware of who you are and there is a black market in numbers gleaned from various sources. If you fall for one scam, you are likely to be the target for more though.
We did get a text message allegedly from Amazon saying a computer had been ordered in our name by a person in Canada but even the style was wrong so just ignored it. If you are worried about this type of message just go into your Amazon account and you can check if there is a problem.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have been getting text messages stating that a transfer to a Mr Smith/Jones etc is about to happen. If I did not authorise this transfer click on the link in the text. I have never clicked on the link but deleted the message.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My home phone Ex directory and I still get scam callers ringing quite often that why we have a phone that you can block them . and when full delete the oldest number

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts