Laying caravan up for winter

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
That time of year when us less hardy caravaners stop touring till the spring.
We have that common problem of strange tasting water through the tap.
It's probably been discussed many times before but I am looking for the definitive solution to this.
Read something about removing the filter and leaving orange cordial sitting in the pipes.
1. Not sure what orange cordial is.
2. Not sure what good it's meant to do.
We have a 10 year old Bailey. not sure if pipes have ever been 'cordialled'.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry David never heard of Orange, we caravan all year round, sometimes prefer the winter months as the people we meet are more on our wave lengths.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
David_with_Bailey said:
It's probably been discussed many times before but I am looking for the definitive solution to this.
Read something about removing the filter and leaving orange cordial sitting in the pipes.

We don't tour in the winter months now so our caravan is in storage until March.
Personally I would completely drain all water pipes, there should be a drain tap in your system that lets water run out, and open all taps including the shower to make sure that no water can freeze inside them to cause damage. Don't forget to disconnect the shower hose and empty the toilet header tank.
We bought one of these recently at the NEC.
Some might disagree but we never drink the water from our caravan water system, we just take a couple of empty clear plastic bottles to fill from the site tap for hot drinks and we buy bottled drinking water, but it's a matter of personal preference for us.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Orange cordial is otherwise known as orange squash a sweet acidic substance diluted in water to make a refreshing drink for children and tee totalers.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David_with_Bailey said:

I have never heard of using "cordial", and using knowledge and logic, I cannot conceive of why it should even be suggested. It will have no cleansing or sterilising properties, in fact the sugars in it (natural and any added by the manufacturer) will make it a great meal for bacteria, and algea. It has no antifreeze characteristics, and it will add it's flavour to pipes and fittings! Depending on its concentration, it will potentially leave a sticky residue which can easily compromise non return valves and pressure switches.

The more I think about it the more I can see wrong with it. DON'T DO IT!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree Prof.
Next thing it will be leave bleach in the system. :angry:
Orange cordial can also contain an acidifier such as citric acid or in very old-fashioned cordials lemon juice, or even spices such as cinnamon or cloves. The citric acid alone will start to rot pipes etc.
The water taste thing crops up all the time.
We are the ones who freely drink from our caravan taps. Never had any poisoning or bad tastes in 38 years.
We change the filter three times a year. Clean the entire system from Aquaroll to taps with Miton Solution. Do not leave in the system for more than 30 minutes to avoid damaging the stainless steel hot water tank. Thoroughly flush with clean water and drain off with all taps left open. When you next come to use the caravan give the water system a flush through and replace the filter. Always worked for us! :)
It's also worth mentioning that different water companies water does taste different :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cannot see any basis for this. Most have little or no orange in them and are basically sugar and water. I doubt there would be enough citric acid to do anything with many of them and if the water evaporated anywhere then you would have a gooey mess that would need to be cleaned out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mogwyth said:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=o...-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=p1MrWIqIKrLA8gfexoOoCw[/quote
Thank you for the link,
Interesting reading, but I don't think it makes the case for eliminating chemical flavours, and rather than cleaning the pipes it seems to be more of a mask, so the underlying problem is still probably there with all the issues I identified above.

I have yet to see a convincing case for use in cold water systems. I do concede it might help to mask nasty niffs from grey water system. Here there is nothing to lose as there are no fancy valves to be compromised.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Cannot see any basis for this. Most have little or no orange in them and are basically sugar and water. I doubt there would be enough citric acid to do anything with many of them and if the water evaporated anywhere then you would have a gooey mess that would need to be cleaned out.
Interesting Ray.
I've just put a couple of coins into a glass of beat orange cordial and will see what happens over next few days. I believe the suggestion was to use it concentrated not diluted.
That said I won't be messing my system up.
Will.let you know how the experiment goes.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
After draining off the water I always go one step further and (with the drain still open) I attach a rubber pipe to the furthest tap/taps away from the drain valve and blow like the clappers (usually takes a few lungs full) until I hear gurgles at the front end of the 'van. You would be surprised how much water has remained in the pipes---both cold and hot. Damage waiting to happen in severe frost ?? Perhaps a second drain valve aft of the wheel arches might be a good idea ?? PS. I left a bucket of water in the caravan overnight. This morning it had a 1/4" of ice on top---all the more reason for draining the pipes ?? :huh:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good idea to fit extra drain valves in some caravans. If you trace the water lines you may find they start at floor level usually under a front seat but then go back through the van. If you have an end washroom they may be taken up and over the wheelarch to get these meaning that the rear part of the pipes can never drain through the drain tap forming part of a water heater.
In my van I've added two (hot and cold) in the cupboard supporting the wash basin in the toilet room. Lever operated. I've made a small lift off cover so don't loose the floor space or accidentally operate the valve when fumbling for the hairdryer etc.
Vales available with push-in fittings for the usual semi rigid pipe and you just have to drill two small holes down through the floor.
If you have a shower back there too don't forget to open the tap and lift the head above it to ensure you drain all the way down.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi RayS. Seems like we are both on the same wavelength. Pity that caravan manufacturers-/-designers don't think the same way. What with light switches etc.in stupid places I'm sure that I would be a useful addition to their design teams? I wonder how many of these designers actually go caravanning?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I only ever drain down the system by opening all taps and the drain valve every time before I return from a trip. I removed the filter system when the 'van was brand new. I hope that any water left in the system is sufficiently distributed to allow for expansion should it freeze. I've never had a problem yet but this post will probably be the 'kiss of death' for a pipe somewhere.
:dry: :dry:

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
HI cb. And some of those pipes are installed before the interior fittings and may be damn near impossible to access later in the caravan's life. Keep your fingers crossed.

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,
Wondering about removing water filter.
Should I clean out the water system (using dissolved Milton tablets) with the old filter in place, fit the new one before cleaning or take filter away and put piece of piping in place then clean out then fit filter?
Thanks in advice. B) B)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David_with_Bailey said:
Hello all,
Wondering about removing water filter.
Should I clean out the water system (using dissolved Milton tablets) with the old filter in place, fit the new one before cleaning or take filter away and put piece of piping in place then clean out then fit filter?
Thanks in advice. B) B)

Its always wise to remove the filter before attempting to sterilise the water system, the reason being the filter, if it has been doing its job, will contain a higher concentration of contaminants, and that could overwhelm the sterlising agent. Also the sterlising agent may cause the filter breakdown and flood the rest of teh systems with contaminants and possible particles which can compromise valves.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Every now and again I will agree with The Prof "on line" I carried out a water system purification , prior to last years French trip and managed to totally bock my carbon filter, this only showed up when trying to flush the system. I had used a powder steralising product and had to strong a solution,, ( Read the instructions) . Remove the filter.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
After draining all the water from the caravan in the normal way,remove the end filter from your outside connector that goes in your water butt and connect a commercial tyre valve , close the main drain plug and all the taps in your caravan and use a foot pump to inflate to one bar,go in to the caravan and open the main sink tap and see the water come, when you have done this tap close it and inflate again, repeat with the bathroom and shower, finally open the main drain plug to get the rest of the water out your system,

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
I find using an aqua vac just as quick, just remember to unscrew the aerator filters off the ends of the taps as it is likely they would collect any crud.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts