Layout Guru Required........

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to provide some advice on a possible layout for a used caravan.

We own a field in North Devon which up til now we have been using for camping weekends. We've got very bored of wrestling with massive family sized tents for an hour each time and have decided to take the plunge and buy a used caravan.

We have a storage building in the field so once the caravan is in the field it will never be driven on the roads again. Now here's the point... we've already got cooking and washing facilities in the field, so we don't need them in the van. We were planning to buy an old van and basically rip out the shower, loo, cooker, fridge etc and use the freed up space as additional living space.

There are 5 of us in our family and we love the layout that has fixed bunks against the back wall. Does anyone know which manufacturures have this layout? We were planning to buy an old van and spend no more than £2000 if possible.

Also does anyone have any experience of 'modifying' caravans, or is this a ridiculout plan that is more trouble than it's worth.

Be grateful if anyone has any ideas!

Cheers

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'd buy a static, too - you get much more room, private bedrooms, a proper 'lounge' area and you can still take out the kitchen and bathroom if you want - and make another bedroom. Or, reading your post again, do you intend to put the caravan inside the storage building when you're not there?

Your plot sounds lovely. Enjoy your caravan whatever you buy.

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
Henry,

I would agree, a static would be the way to go for you, there's such a large choice of "older" models available & dirt cheap too!

The only caveat I would say is check with your local council first, you may find that you need planning permission, most probably with a static, but also likely with a "permanantly" sited tourer.

Me jealous, you're damned right I am! owning a field in North Devon, you lucky so & so!

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for all you responses and thoughts. The only trouble with the static caravan option is that I cannot leave the caravan in situ at all! In fact the official at the North Devon Panning Department more or less had a heart attack when I suggested this. So the caravan will need to be moved into the storage shed when we're not there. I presume you can't easily drag a static caravan about?

By the way, fields aren't too expensive, if you're lucky, you can pick them up for the price of a new caravan, have a look at primelocation.com, loads of options!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts