LCD television, beware

We went to the caravan & leisure exhibition recently at the NEC, expressly to buy a new television for our caravan. We use a lot of sites which do not have electric hookup so wanted one to run of our 12v supply. There was not much choice to be honest, but we got talking to a representative on the Toshiba stand, who eventually sold us a 14VL33 flat screen, multi standard, which we thought was just what we needed.

It arrived last week and we, were most surprised that despite not being mentioned in the advertising brochure the handbook clearly states that this 12v TV must only be used with the supplied 240v AC/12vDC adaptor and must not be connected to a 12v DC supply.

This makes a nonsense of selling it for caravan and boat applications, however undaunted I decided to try it anyway. I found that at home it worked fine, but when we went away it ran for 5 mins and the screen went black. Further investigation when I got home revealed that when I have the caravan electrics hooked up to the mains to charge the battery the voltage is about 13.4 V and the TV is fine but when unplugged the voltage settles at about 11.6 V the TV however blacks its screen at about 11.7 V.

Is this TV really fit for leisure use? I suppose I could get an inverter but somehow the idea of transforming 12v DC to 240v AC and back to 12v DC seems illogical quite ignoring the fact that it is inefficient.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We bought an LCD TV last year from Curays it's eitheer a sharp or sanyo, can't remember which, we use it on the 12v system in the van without any problems at all. If you told the seller that you wanted to run it on the 12v system and it won't run I'd ask for a refund as it's not fit for the purpose for which it was bought.

Good luck

Jo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
dave, Your problem appears to be the volts drop in the leads between the battery and the 12v socket. I suggest you run a direct feed to the battery fused at 10Amps using 2.5 mm cable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave

Useful info. I have a Digix flat screen LCD, as had been recommended on this forum a few weeks back. Had the same intention as you but did not progress as far. However, knowing that the 12v supply in the van can fluctuate I used a meter to find what was supplied via the tv's transformer, and it was 12.6 volts.

I was nervous of plugging in direct as the supply would be via the van transformer side of the charger and be above 12.6v. Even with the van battery not on charge it can provide more than 12.6v, so do I put some lights on to reduce the output and hope for the best?

I've got nowhere with the supplier,Sainsburys - it was made in Denmark and phone calls and emails have brought no response. A colleague here has suggested that it may be possible to use a limiting transistor in a straight lead from the van's suply to maintain 12.6v. Maybe somebody can advise us what to do. Let's hope so.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear Dave! You have a very clear case of the good not being fit for purpose, or the goods being missrepresented and as such you should contact the selling company and point out in some detail your problem with thier product, tell them how it was sold to you and where, and demmand a full refund. It is your absolute right under the sale of goods act.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave

Useful info. I have a Digix flat screen LCD, as had been recommended on this forum a few weeks back. Had the same intention as you but did not progress as far. However, knowing that the 12v supply in the van can fluctuate I used a meter to find what was supplied via the tv's transformer, and it was 12.6 volts.

I was nervous of plugging in direct as the supply would be via the van transformer side of the charger and be above 12.6v. Even with the van battery not on charge it can provide more than 12.6v, so do I put some lights on to reduce the output and hope for the best?

I've got nowhere with the supplier,Sainsburys - it was made in Denmark and phone calls and emails have brought no response. A colleague here has suggested that it may be possible to use a limiting transistor in a straight lead from the van's suply to maintain 12.6v. Maybe somebody can advise us what to do. Let's hope so.
The TV is not up to much if it cannot handle a voltage range of between 14v and 11.5 Volts without malfunctioning. and couldn't in all honesty be described as a portable 12v.

I think though that you are worrrying a bit too much about the voltage you will get when the van is connected to the mains with the charger switched on. You could of course not use the charger whilst the TV is in use if it suited you.I would suggest that you connect the TV to the 12v socket in the van if it has one. The wires are normally only 1.5mm and the volts drop from the battery to the socket will propably be in the order of 1v when the TV is drawing current. I would put an in- line fuse in the positive lead. Check what DC current the transformer supplied with the TV is rated at and fit a fuse of next higher amperage, propably 4 Amps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear Dave! You have a very clear case of the good not being fit for purpose, or the goods being missrepresented and as such you should contact the selling company and point out in some detail your problem with thier product, tell them how it was sold to you and where, and demmand a full refund. It is your absolute right under the sale of goods act.
Tony, I think you are worrying about the over voltage unduly. A TV that malfunctions with votage variation of 11.5v to 14v cannopt in all honesty call itself 12v portable.

The volts drop beween the 12v wall socket abnd the battery will propably 1v when the TV is drawing current, so you shouldn't have a problem, even when the van charger is on. You could of course leave the charger off when watching tv if you still have concerns. I suggest you fit a 5A fuse in the positive supply to the TV.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the Manhattan 15in LCD TV and have used it exclusively on 12V in the van for 2 years

You can get a device to stabilise the 12V

Leisure Power at Warrington have them.

www.Leisurepower.co.uk

JohnG

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave

I, too, have a Digix. As you say, almost impossible to contact makers unless you speak Danish. However, I have been using mine for about three months, both on sites with mains, sites without mains, and charging battery with generator. No problems found. What I like is the low consumption (30 watts) and low price (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The TV is not up to much if it cannot handle a voltage range of between 14v and 11.5 Volts without malfunctioning. and couldn't in all honesty be described as a portable 12v.

I think though that you are worrrying a bit too much about the voltage you will get when the van is connected to the mains with the charger switched on. You could of course not use the charger whilst the TV is in use if it suited you.I would suggest that you connect the TV to the 12v socket in the van if it has one. The wires are normally only 1.5mm and the volts drop from the battery to the socket will propably be in the order of 1v when the TV is drawing current. I would put an in- line fuse in the positive lead. Check what DC current the transformer supplied with the TV is rated at and fit a fuse of next higher amperage, propably 4 Amps.
Ray, thanks will give it a go.

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I, too, have a Digix. As you say, almost impossible to contact makers unless you speak Danish. However, I have been using mine for about three months, both on sites with mains, sites without mains, and charging battery with generator. No problems found. What I like is the low consumption (30 watts) and low price (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm lucky in that respect, we leave our television at home so we can enjoy the great outdoors whatever the weather, after all isnt that what caravanning is all about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave

If your supplier is not playing ball or answering then contact the trading standards. I am suprised that sainsbury's have not responded though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts