Le Velo-rail @ Commequiers,Vendee

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
About 15 years ago whilst on holiday in the vendee we had a great day on the above Velo-rail does anyone know if it still exists and /or have been on it recently.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Off down to the Vendee in 2 weeks time. I will let you know on my return. The velo-rail does feature in a guide book of the area I have just purchased. It appears it is fun until you meet another bogey coming in the opposite direction when all hands are mustered to lift one of the bogeys off the rails to let the other one past, and then lift it back on again. For this alone I think I will give it a miss but will have a "look see".

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Clubman,you are right it is single track and the velo heading back to the start point has right of way so it is a good plan to go early so you will always be the one with right of way.If you have some kiddies (other than toddlers) they are not too abd to lift off,take a picnic and stop where you like take it off the track and you have seating for your picnic.Another tip if it really hot take a parasol and some tape and tape it to the front for shade.Try it and let me know how you get on,it is great fun.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for info Plotter, I may rethink about having a go, there will only be the 2 of us, but the opposing bogey will have a pair of hands or two. I like the idea of a picnic etc, is it an offence to be in charge of a bogey under the influence of a nice vin de rouge?

Sep 6, 2005
Visit site
Just returned from the Vendee, and yes the Velo-rail is still in operation 22 euro for 2 hours, 33 for 3 and 44 euro for 4. We had to book 3 days before we went on it but was peak season. great fun though the 4 hour one probably too long we covered 8km in two hours each way that is and stopped for ice cream, had me 44years old one teenage girl and one 8 year old lad.

well recommended. The track is 10km each way.

Neill

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Clubman,not sure about under the influence of vin rouge whilst in charge of a velo but at least you won't go off the rails(hope not anyway)Even with two of you you should be ok as you say if the others want to get past they will have to help,in at least one place you have to stop get off and shut a level crosssing gate so you can cross a road what a great feeling of power stopping all the French drivers while you cross.One point it is flat so no problem there but not sure about leafs on the line!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Whilst in that area,I recommend Apremont with its chateau that from time to time has firework displays from the 'battlements and in the turrets.Also there is river that is dammed with beach and hire of all manner of floating things ,sailing dingies,canoes,pedloes etc,boule,picnic area,toilets loads of parking and free except for of course boat hire.To eat try the Cafe du Paris at Notre Dame de Riez,be warned the meal takes a long time with many courses.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Emmerson,hi trust you and yours are well,yes it is great fun provided of course that it is not persisiting down with rain,although you could put the parasol up for the rain.I would certainly do it again.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Just had a look at google myself certainly brings back memories,it is as good as the pictures make out.

For anyone who wants to look go to google and input'velo rail commequiers'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts