Leak in front window

Jul 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks, I have just brought my first caravan and all of this lovely rain has found a way in!!!!

The caravan is an ABI Jubilee Globetotter 4 berth 1992. As far as I can see the water is coming in thru the bottom right hand side of the window. (right hand side from inside the van). Is it best to get this leak checked by a caravan repairs place or is there an easy way to fix it myself. On closer inspection when I got the van home it looks like there may have been a leak here previously but as it was a private sale I know I cannot go back to the seller. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Lee I don't know if you are the same as the other Lee with leak problems but not sure if you are correct with private sale so 'no come back because private sale' talk to trading standards.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi lee,

Without going into all the "possible" legal arguments, as at the end of the day you have the van, and you have the problem right now!

On a van of this age I would be inclined to replace all the front window rubbers, and whilst having to remove the old ones, check what, if any, further damage has been done by any water ingress.

The new seals can be bought from Seals Direct, they have a web site, and it is not difficult a job to do.

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
it finally stopped raining for me to have a look at my seals it seems to be coming in between the seal and the window where it compresses together. on looking at the set up of the seals it looks pretty straight forward (on mine anyway which is hinged at the top.)

(1)you need to check what seals you have by peeling back the seal where it joins and checking what the cross section looks like.(wait for a good day though)and order from seals direct etc)

(2)when seals arrive remove old seal and completely remove all the old gunk that was there from before.

(3)the new seals should already have sealant on them so just place new seals in place and cut to size.

(4)i personally am then going to staple the seals in place on to the caravan (not to many though and cover staples with blob of silicone.

then i am going to go around the out side of the seal where it seats on the van and run a bead of silicone there and run in with my finger.

(5)replace white strip that comes with seal and hey presto the jobs a gooden.

if any one else has any hints or tips or can tell me if i am going wrong any where please let me know

***hey by the way good name***

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
it finally stopped raining for me to have a look at my seals it seems to be coming in between the seal and the window where it compresses together. on looking at the set up of the seals it looks pretty straight forward (on mine anyway which is hinged at the top.)

(1)you need to check what seals you have by peeling back the seal where it joins and checking what the cross section looks like.(wait for a good day though)and order from seals direct etc)

(2)when seals arrive remove old seal and completely remove all the old gunk that was there from before.

(3)the new seals should already have sealant on them so just place new seals in place and cut to size.

(4)i personally am then going to staple the seals in place on to the caravan (not to many though and cover staples with blob of silicone.

then i am going to go around the out side of the seal where it seats on the van and run a bead of silicone there and run in with my finger.

(5)replace white strip that comes with seal and hey presto the jobs a gooden.

if any one else has any hints or tips or can tell me if i am going wrong any where please let me know

***hey by the way good name***
i think i should change my name to "lee b" as this could get quite confusing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts