Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Noticed a slight leak drip coming through side overhead locker.

have checked exterior and attached photo - could it be slight hairline that the sealant has been removed and needs replaced?

what sealant should you use for exterior?
Thanks

Attachments

• 558EE64A-0497-462B-8EDC-3A60B655EA05.jpeg
    558EE64A-0497-462B-8EDC-3A60B655EA05.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 41CB1C61-46BD-4F0B-80C3-8B58B1841734.jpeg
    41CB1C61-46BD-4F0B-80C3-8B58B1841734.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

have checked exterior and attached photo - could it be slight hairline that the sealant has been removed and needs replaced?

Thanks
To make a proper repair the whole strip should be removed. Old sealant scraped away. All surfaces cleaned. Sikafkex is a regularly recommended sealant Search the forums there will be detailed guidance on materials and techniques. Phone dying will see if I can find links when it’s resuscitated.

Waterproof sealant tape should keep it at bay for a while.

Reactions: Jg4278
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had a Compass which developed a leak at about 4/5 years old. First sign was sponginess front side wall mid height. Like you, it seemed like a hairline crack in the sealant.

I decided to px the van so did the repair myself. No way was it a professional job, really the inside wall needed replacing. I exposed the area so it could dry out, unscrewed and pulled the awning rail away, that’s when I saw that the rail simply had never been bedded on from new. Just a superficial bead. I bedded it in place, and replaced the screws. Then put ply supports inside and out clammped it through the window. Then filled the void with foam.. it felt nice and solid.

A friend then said he would like to buy it. I didn’t really want to sell it to him but he said he was very happy with the repair.

That was in 2011. He still has the van and my repair has held out. But it did get more damp elsewhere which he has fixed.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks
I hope the problem is just as you suspect and is that easy to repair. But quite often the appearance of a leak inside may not reflect where the actual failure is, and due to the materials used in the construction of the caravan - when damp appears inside, it may have been quite soden for some time within the panel, and if it's of pre about 2010 construction (i.e. wooden frame) the wood may have started to rot.

Often the internal wall boards have a vinyl covering, which hides the appearance of damp, and forces it to wick until it finds a point where it can find its way through the covering

The proper way to deal with it is to expose the affected area, remove any affected material and replace with treated timber, and of course seal any points of ingress.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts