Leaking Thertford Toilet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hello Folks

I have a leaking toilet, When the (kids) use the toilet they keep the trap door shut then open it and flush the toilet after use.

However the last couple of times we have had a pungent smell from the toilet and a mass of (dirty water) lying under the toilet cassett. This has made the van smell in the toilet area.

We have know discovered the smell was on the carpet (which we have cleaned) but the smell has went into the wall,s at the same height as the toilet cassett.

This is the second time this has happened and the repairer sorted the cassett saying it was the seals at the trap but i am not sure as the same thing has happened again.

It is long winded and not nice subject (smell) to talk about sorry.

Thanks

Steven.

Aug 9, 2008
Visit site
There was an article about Thetford toilets in one of the magazines recently, I am sure it was Practical Caravan if not then it was the Caravan Club magazine. Anyway it described how to dismantle and repair a Thetford toilet and it mentioned a seal that can wear out. The seal is about 3 or 4 inches diameter and is at the top of the cassette unit where it meets the bowl. This is so you can use the toilet with the flap closed, however if this seal is worn then the fluid leaks into the cassette housing area. We never use the toilet with the flap closed (mainly because I didn't know that you could until I read the article recently) and don't get any dirty water leaks. I do sometimes get some clean water gathering at the bottom of the cassette toilet cupboard and on the bathroom floor which seems to come from the cistern if I leave to much water in it whilst travelling. (I know I should empty the cistern before travelling but I stay in Scotland and toilets are few and far between for my young kids so we tend to stop in car parks and use the toilet in the van)

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi, i've seen a couple of postings on this forum that have referred to a similar problem. Apparently even with a new seal it's possible that in some cases the tank doesn't contact the base of the bowl. This leaves a small gap which a;lows it to leak. The solution in this case is to place small spacers under the tank to lift it slightly. Hope this helps.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

if you look on the internet there are several websites (one is a Swift one) that show you how to replace the seals. I have just replaced the main bowl seal and the pressure equalising valve and it took about 10 minutes in all. Cost less than

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi, had this problem, the seal between the bowl and top of cassette does not like any pressure or it weeps past, over the cassette and into the base of the toillet box/ floor. crack the valve open when you use the thing and all liquids will drain into the container, leave cracked open until the flush has fully drained. no leak no smell.

geo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts