JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Almost certainly.
If you take and put up a photo of the lights with the covers removed, to show the specific bulbs/tubes used, we can much better help guide you.
There are work rounds the challenges of replacing fluorescent tubes.

Edit: There will be some gain in efficiency, changing to LEDS, but not anywhere as much gain as from filament lights.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Search eBay for 'caravan lights'. There are several round LED versions. Its probably easier and quicker to replace than convert the existing, as they are not expensive.

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Almost certainly.
If you take and put up a photo of the lights with the covers removed, to show the specific bulbs/tubes used, we can much better help guide you.
There are work rounds the challenges of replacing fluorescent tubes.

Edit: There will be some gain in efficiency, changing to LEDS, but not anywhere as much gain as from filament lights.
thanks for your offer of help and advice. Photos attached as requested

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 8

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
BB.
The existing fluorescent tubes need that block of "electronics" [inverter] to generate the high voltage AC from the 12 VDC the caravan battery supplies it with.

LEDs have totally different micro electronics integrated in the bulbs themselves. They can't work with the fluorescent's driver electronics.

So here you need to remove the existing electronic block thing totally, along with the tube of course.

You can then buy a pre built disc fitted with LED arrays, which simply connects onto the 12 VDC wires coming into the lamp housing.

This is an example of one of these discs from a very reliable provider. This one is 100mm dia and is of the "warm white" more like the light "shade" of colour from a halogen bulb;

They also do one with the harsher "cool white", our preferred for reading. The warmer suits more people from my observations.

That route is one practical solution. You can also make a daisy flower like flat disc arrangement by buying [say 5 off per light ] G4, side connection LED bulbs and the connectors. Like a 5 petal flower.
Or you can buy LED strip you can cut in pieces and mount on your own disc backing.
But I recommend you check if these pre-made 100 mm discs would fit.

However, first you need to see if you can "face" removing the existing inverter electronics, to basically only use the enclosure.

If the existing enclosure has a switch that is an important function to you then you need to check it can be retained, or we will need to get inventive.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve used Aten led to replace OEM bulbs and they are a very good company and willing to discuss things.
The replacement led bulbs give excellent light.

Reactions: sahrenity
Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks everyone for really useful information - especially the contact to aten lighting, which I would have never have found without your help... However, the roundboard 100mm 42 led, might give out too strong a light in the small lounge area which contains two down lighters.... But no probs as they do a smaller round led with just 15 led and gives out 300lms, which might be sufficient. Any thoughts ? Also each ceiling light in my caravan is 20cms in dimension and the led board is only 4cm in dimension, so the led will sit in the middle of the backing plate but will be tiny. Can I assume the the emitted light will `spread` and will not be a `spot light` effect ?

I`m left with a feeling I can do this job myself once I have ordered the right gear.

Again thanks for you input - very much appreciated from a non techno person..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I bought a side pin flat led replacement that was a direct equivalent in lumens to the halogen bulb that was to be replaced. It gave as good a light as the halogen. If you know the lumens of your fluorescent lamp that would help you. But the flat round led did not create a spotlight effect even though its diameter is quite small. The obscure cover of the light fitting acts as an effective diffuser.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If the pucker units are unsuitable, then make your own array of suitably rated mini disc LEDs, using your own variant on this concept.[see sketch].
Details will need refining for your specific case, but here is a DIY concept for starters.

Select from a quality LED supplier some side pin mounted LEDs. Using a quality supplier ensures the polarity of the wiring does not matter, and hopefully yields a very long life.

I would remove the existing light unit to do the work on a bench, my neck could not stand doing everything overhead. Remove the existing inverter from the unit, it is not needed.

You will need to buy the pre wired G4 pin sockets, wired with fly leads. {An E bay option link given]

Make yourself up a cruciform armature that will hold your LEDs via their sockets, and one you can screw fix to the old light housing later. The “worlds your oyster” in what you use for your armature, could be wood ply from a Charlie Bingham ready made meal box, aluminium from Cola can [scissors cut this], or something a lot more professional.
Then, using some fine thread binding and good glue [Araldite brilliant], glue and bind the G4 sockets onto your armature. Wait 24 hours if using normal setting Araldite.

Fix the lot in your light housing, and mount a bit of twin way chocolate bock, wire junction in there as well. Wire up all the G4 sockets back to the chocolate block.

Remount light unit and wire up the 12 volt supply. Fit your LEDs and your new lighting test out.

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting/g4-leds/side-pin-g4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-G4-B...hash=item1a87c19928:m:mNSU9OG_moPCRpFH8RAUv_g

:

Attachments

• LEDS TWO.jpg
    LEDS TWO.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
If the pucker units are unsuitable, then make your own array of suitably rated mini disc LEDs, using your own variant on this concept.[see sketch].
Details will need refining for your specific case, but here is a DIY concept for starters.

Select from a quality LED supplier some side pin mounted LEDs. Using a quality supplier ensures the polarity of the wiring does not matter, and hopefully yields a very long life.

I would remove the existing light unit to do the work on a bench, my neck could not stand doing everything overhead. Remove the existing inverter from the unit, it is not needed.

You will need to buy the pre wired G4 pin sockets, wired with fly leads. {An E bay option link given]

Make yourself up a cruciform armature that will hold your LEDs via their sockets, and one you can screw fix to the old light housing later. The “worlds your oyster” in what you use for your armature, could be wood ply from a Charlie Bingham ready made meal box, aluminium from Cola can [scissors cut this], or something a lot more professional.
Then, using some fine thread binding and good glue [Araldite brilliant], glue and bind the G4 sockets onto your armature. Wait 24 hours if using normal setting Araldite.

Fix the lot in your light housing, and mount a bit of twin way chocolate bock, wire junction in there as well. Wire up all the G4 sockets back to the chocolate block.

Remount light unit and wire up the 12 volt supply. Fit your LEDs and your new lighting test out.

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting/g4-leds/side-pin-g4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-G4-B...hash=item1a87c19928:m:mNSU9OG_moPCRpFH8RAUv_g

:

Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions and I now intend to act upon them with a degree of confidence....

Reactions: JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts