Leisure Battery confusion.

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,
Apologies if this has already been covered.
I always go to sites were I can hook up to there electrics even so I release I still need a battery in the van to run certain things, my battery is showing exactly 12 volts. I understand this is technically dead, however when we are hooked up to site power we don't have any problems and the battery still runs the motor mover when we are coming and going from storage so my question, do we still need to replace the battery, and why?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
If your mover is working as it should then there ain't too much wrong with your battery A mover puts the most "strain " of anything on it!
How are you getting the 12v reading! If it's an onboard meter then I would be highly suspicious of its accuracy. Get a multi-meter and test the voltage at the battery terminals, you might get a surprise!
I woukd say your battery doesn't need replacing as its coping with the movers current draw.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Plod suggests, I'd be sceptical about a meter that read exactly 12V when testing battery, really you need a bit more precision such as meter with at least 10th's of a volt.

I also agree if its able to power the mover then it can't be all that bad.

If you are connected to the mains 230V ac and the caravans battery charger is working, the voltage at the battery terminals should be closer to 13.8V.

If you disconnect the battery (so nothing is drawing any current) leave it to stand for about an hour then measure the terminal voltage , the table below should give an indication of the state of charge.

Lead-Acid-Battery-Voltage-Charts-Image-10.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts