Leisure battery. Gas. And electric.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Ukdave; our caravan is on our domestic mains,[via a purpose wired external Blue connector outlet] but that's consumer unit includes its own RCD, does that not offer the protection from what concerns you?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The course of this thread has opened a number of concerns for me. I am not asking mickyriff to offer any explanation as it's clearly a very personal and therefore private matter, but it does raise a number of questions and matters you should be aware of.

Living full time in a caravan makes the caravan a domestic residence, and subject to planning oversight at the property where its used.

As a permanent resident, you should of course be included in council tax calculations.

If the caravan is deemed a "permanent residence" it becomes subject to different and more stringent regulations covering electrical, water and gas systems, and who is legally permitted to work on them.

The arrangement he has with his friend may be deemed to be a tenant and landlord situation.

I stress I'm not asking mickyriff to respond to these points I have mentioned them in case he hasn't considered them

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Do you need the heating on all day? You do not mention the brand and year of your caravan and whether it is a single to twin axle. On older caravans the insulation was not great and the gas heaters were not that efficient.

A lot of heat can be lost through the ducting especially if the ducting for the blown air runs underneath the caravan. On EHU and using electric for heating expect to use about £5 a day during the winter period.
Its is quite old. 2003 i think. Lunar zenith 6. Uses a truma heater.
No through the week i am in work and dont usually get back till tea time or later. So its just nights through the week. So mainly just been using it a few hours at night. Although i have left it on all day a few times. And probs both the electric rad and truma at the same time once or twice. That would explain the spike it electric bill.

Reactions: Hutch
May 15, 2023
Visit site
Ukdave; our caravan is on our domestic mains,[via a purpose wired external Blue connector outlet] but that's consumer unit includes its own RCD, does that not offer the protection from what concerns you?
Unfortunately an RCD won’t provide any protection in the event an external neutral fault. I found this short video that explains it, and the dangers very clearly.
The TN-C-S earthing system that it applies to, is the most commonly used earthing for domestic properties in the UK.

View: https://youtu.be/JRHyqouJPzE?si=6phZmoDKNIbKApnM

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
What about one of these diesel heaters, run on red or kerosene which is cheaper than pump diesel. (£178)
Hcalory 12V 5KW-8KW Diesel Air Heater Toolbox bluetooth APP
Available on ebay, not sure if I could post a link but a search will bring it up

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What about one of these diesel heaters, run on red or kerosene which is cheaper than pump diesel. (£178)
Available on ebay, not sure if I could post a link but a search will bring it up
I stopped heating my green house as the cost of paraffin was far more than auto diesel. Unless you get bulk kerosene it's nota good option. Is it legal to use Red fuel at reduced duty in a domestic caravan, I know it's okay for heating in domestic premises and boats etc. So I guess a caravan might be covered.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its is quite old. 2003 i think. Lunar zenith 6. Uses a truma heater.
No through the week i am in work and dont usually get back till tea time or later. So its just nights through the week. So mainly just been using it a few hours at night. Although i have left it on all day a few times. And probs both the electric rad and truma at the same time once or twice. That would explain the spike it electric bill.
According to the images of this model on google it does use a Truma model probably a 3002 size able to produce 3.2kW of gas heating under thermostatic control.

From your other comments it probably also has the Truma Ultraheat 2kW electric element and hot air distribution system.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This has already been suggested, and I gave a response in post #22

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I stopped heating my green house as the cost of paraffin was far more than auto diesel. Unless you get bulk kerosene it's nota good option. Is it legal to use Red fuel at reduced duty in a domestic caravan, I know it's okay for heating in domestic premises and boats etc. So I guess a caravan might be covered.
Yes it's legal - it's also legal to use red diesel in a motorhome for heating purposes as long as it has it's own tank and the system is completely separated from the road fuel.

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
This has already been suggested, and I gave a response in post #22

Even if it was, my post was suggesting to take a look at a specific diesel heater. As it's a stand alone unit, all that would be required is a 12volt supply and a pipe to duct the warm air into the van. I heat my bungalow in winter with a similar one of these. They use very little fuel when up to temperature. They are being used a lot in garages, sheds and homes as can be seen on the FB Group.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have looked at the listing for this. It has no flue so its classed as an open flue appliance and it must not be used in a small space such as a caravan

THIS COULD BE LETHAL AS IT PUTS ITS PRODUCTS OF COMBUSTION FUMES INTO THE LIVING SPACE. AND IT'S NOT APPROVED FOR USE IN A CARAVAN.

I am seriously concerned that you do not appreciate how dangerous non caravan approved appliance's might be in such a small living space.

If you are going to spend money. use it to get a mobile engineer to come and check out your caravan, as you seem to be ignoring the systems you already have could use.

Don't be a fool with the lives and property of you and your friend. It's that important.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I have looked at the listing for this. It has no flue so its classed as an open flue appliance and it must not be used in a small space such as a caravan

THIS COULD BE LETHAL AS IT PUTS ITS PRODUCTS OF COMBUSTION FUMES INTO THE LIVING SPACE. AND IT'S NOT APPROVED FOR USE IN A CARAVAN.
I heard they are fumeless inside fires. That run off bioethanol?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
They are not fumeless they only claim smokeless which is a very specific claim.

When ever a fuel oxidises (burns) it extracts Oxygen form the air and leaves various other products such as Carbon Monoxide, (CO) Carbon Dioxide (CO2) , and Water vapour. (H2O) Each of these displace the available oxygen and can effectively suffocate in small places. But the worst is CO which is called the silent killer with good reason.
  • DO NOT USE THIS TYPE OF HEATER IN A CARAVAN. I CANNOT EXPRESS THE DANGERS ENOUGH.

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
They are not fumeless they only claim smokeless which is a very specific claim.

When ever a fuel oxidises (burns) it extracts Oxygen form the air and leaves various other products such as Carbon Monoxide, (CO) Carbon Dioxide (CO2) , and Water vapour. (H2O) Each of these displace the available oxygen and can effectively suffocate in small places. But the worst is CO which is called the silent killer with good reason.
  • DO NOT USE THIS TYPE OF HEATER IN A CARAVAN. I CANNOT EXPRESS THE DANGERS ENOUGH.

I appreciate your concern. But why would they be allowed to claim for indoor use? And small work spaces. Living rooms. Etc.. most reviews seem great. But you now have me wondering. Would burning the gas with the truma not be the same?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo, mentioned these in #19.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenno
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Takes me back to when we were first married and we heated the house with Valor blue flame paraffin heaters. No vents in the floor or vents in the ceiling or windows.

A major step forward was to afford a free standing bottled gas heater.

Would I do it now. No way.

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A caravan heating appliance has a flue which directs the harmful fumes away from the interior of the caravan.
We can't tell you what to do, but the Prof is right, CO2 inside a caravan can be deadly.
I wouldn't take the chance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate your concern. But why would they be allowed to claim for indoor use? And small work spaces. Living rooms. Etc.. most reviews seem great. But you now have me wondering. Would burning the gas with the truma not be the same?
No, the Truma has a sealed flue so the products of combustion do not enter the caravan.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
MAybe consider a different van? Mine runs plenty warm enough on 500w from the heater even in deep winter. I only run it warmer when it's starting cold, and then only for max 30 mins. That's less than 20p an hour to run. Change out your lights to led too (12v ones) . Surprising how much electric they can use.

Alternatively a diesel heater as suggested is a good idea. Can be plugged into your warm air vents if you have blown heating to, and as mentioned cheap to run!

TRENDING THREADS