Lenovo ThinkPad T440p Laptop

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Prof if the new battery repairs it going to only be use as a standby thinking of upgrading for a newer laptop in a couple of months but i would like one with a hard disk drive
As per your earlier post regarding the battery and charger being replaced, is the new battery now also faulty? With my limited knowledge I would think that this is unusual and there is an issue elsewhere.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
New battery faulty? Oh yes. How does anyone know the source even if it is one that looks as original? I have a couple of Thinkpads and a Dell and replaced all three batteries. The Dell holds charge quite well but doesn't seem to have the longevity of the original. Both of the Thinkpad types just don't last so long or charge so quickly. One test is to weigh the original battery and see if the replacement is the same or heavier - that may indicate how many cells it contains whatever the identification says.

Per the OP, if the battery shows no charge and it is supposed to have been fixed by the computer shop or whatever, take it back. They cannot charge you for something they did that doesn't work.

Finally to the OP, you will find it difficult to find any new laptop with a mechanical hard drive HDD (nor a desktop for that matter!) Everything these days comes with a solid state drive (SSD) but they are faster than a HDD, take much less power, and being solid state won't fail if you drop the machine. Indeed these days you will find many machines had a M2 SSD which looks not unlike a bar of RAM but does the same job as a SSD. Whichever type of SSD is used they are both easily changed for a bigger size, but I would suggest a minimum of 500GB, or 1TB if you can afford it. As modern machines come with a very fast USB 3.0 or 3.1 as standard you can always buy an external SSD for backup.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
New battery faulty? Oh yes. How does anyone know the source even if it is one that looks as original? I have a couple of Thinkpads and a Dell and replaced all three batteries. The Dell holds charge quite well but doesn't seem to have the longevity of the original. Both of the Thinkpad types just don't last so long or charge so quickly. One test is to weigh the original battery and see if the replacement is the same or heavier - that may indicate how many cells it contains whatever the identification says.

Per the OP, if the battery shows no charge and it is supposed to have been fixed by the computer shop or whatever, take it back. They cannot charge you for something they did that doesn't work.

Finally to the OP, you will find it difficult to find any new laptop with a mechanical hard drive HDD (nor a desktop for that matter!) Everything these days comes with a solid state drive (SSD) but they are faster than a HDD, take much less power, and being solid state won't fail if you drop the machine. Indeed these days you will find many machines had a M2 SSD which looks not unlike a bar of RAM but does the same job as a SSD. Whichever type of SSD is used they are both easily changed for a bigger size, but I would suggest a minimum of 500GB, or 1TB if you can afford it. As modern machines come with a very fast USB 3.0 or 3.1 as standard you can always buy an external SSD for backup.
Hi Woodentop well i do know it faulty because i put the new one in and it says fully charged 100% then switch back to the old one (no battery detected ) that good enough for me .
I like this laptop it easy to set up my Hp Envy4522 Printer because it comes with a small disc you just load up and install do these modern machines come with one ?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I suspect that many later laptops will be without a CD/DVD drive in which case you download things like printer software to install.
HP ENVY 4522 All-in-One Printer Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
and it might be worth checking the date on your install disc in comparison with the download anyway as any updates will be included (although HP might prompt you to update software that you have installed).
If you need greater storage - or back up - you can buy external hard drives with massive storage quite cheaply that connect via USB - I have a 3Tb for such purposes.

Reactions: Beachball
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Rob per the backup. With a little bit of work (there's plenty of help on line) you can set up a NAS drive (that is a box that sits on your domestic network and looks like another hard drive) so that through a secure VPN you can read from or write to your backup from anywhere in the world as can any of the users on your system. The VPN can be private so it doesn't cost to use, indeed some browsers - Opera for one - come with a VPN built in.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that many later laptops will be without a CD/DVD drive in which case you download things like printer software to install.
HP ENVY 4522 All-in-One Printer Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
and it might be worth checking the date on your install disc in comparison with the download anyway as any updates will be included (although HP might prompt you to update software that you have installed).
If you need greater storage - or back up - you can buy external hard drives with massive storage quite cheaply that connect via USB - I have a 3Tb for such purposes.
I have checked the date on the install disc it 2016 and there is a USB cable in the box

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts