Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi there, I'm new to caravanning and have just proudly put my new purchase on the driveway. However looking at it, the rear of the caravan is lower that the front. I've wound the jockey to it's lowest point at the front and adjusted the steadies to the floor. What can I do to level it front/back? I've been told that you can't wind down the steadies further, i.e so they actually support the weight of the van. Any advice please?

John.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning.As you have got the the legs of the van wound down just taking the weight of the van,wind up the jockey wheel handle so the wheel is fully retracted,then undo the handle on the side that locks the shaft.

Raise the jockey wheel shaft and reclamp.When you wind the wheel down again to take the weight of the front of the van,it should have unscrewed a lot more than than the previous time.Wind up the steadies five or six turns and you should then be able to lower the front of van so it is level with the back as you will have more thread available on jockey wheel. when you are happy just re-lower steadies and you are done.There is no problem winding the steadies down to take the weight of the van.I have seen many people on site, after winding down steadies, completely remove the jockey wheel.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Or just put a large (thick) piece of wood in the gap to make up the difference.

You don't say if your driveway is a steep hill, if so the above option is best. if it is reasonably level, Johns solution is the way to go.

My drive has an incline, so I make sure the jockey wheel is clamped as high as possible so I can make the 'van level (hitch in to the house in my case) as the hitch is only 6 - 8 inches or so from the ground. I then don't need to worry about the blocks.

The blocks of wood come in handy if you have to pitch on a steep hill, which although rare, does happen if you rally or pitch in random fields :)

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts