Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we are having a problem levelling our twin axle. We have a small 2 way spirit level but the reading varies depending on what surface we put it on in the caravan. Any advice on how to improve this would be appreciated.

Caroline

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We put our two-way level on the worktop next to the hob, or on the window shelf by the front-dinette. But then all horizontal surfaces in our Eriba are in agreement with the floor - in doesn't matter for us.

Suggestion:

If you van floor is flat, level the van with the level on the floor by the doorway. Then see if the cooking surface is level as well, if it is, then why worry about anything else?

If the cooking surface isn't level, then adjust until it is.

Robert

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I picked up a tip from a Caravan Club magazine which I find works very well with my twin axle (or any single axle).

If you hang a plumb line from the top centre of the caravan doorway and put a corresponding mark on the floor, the caravan will be perfectly level in both directions when the plumb line is lined up with the mark.

Front to rear level is obviously easy to achieve and I use a Bulldog screw leveller under each wheel to level the 'van sideways.

The only problem I have is my wife complaining that I'm too pedantic about achieving a totally level 'van!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Park it on a flat pitch

In a year of using a twin, I have never done anything but use a round bubble level on the front shelf. Never get it perfect but always good enough not to notice.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
the first thing to do is buy a good level ,the majority of trade people use a Stabila level ,made in Germany you can get most sizes in B&Q ,i pesonally level of the floor where most of the structure rises from,and i also level the shower tray so i am not standing in puddles of water

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I use an 8-inch DIY spirit level that has both horizontal and vertical vials.

First I use it on the caravan side to check that this is vertical; this large flat surface and the generous footprint of the level being a much more practical option than trying to fine a horizontal surface and using a 2 inch level.

Then with the van level across the axle I use the level on the awning skirt rail as I adjust the jockey wheel for the longitudinal level.

All done from outside at the front and no need to open the door.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I use a 8 inch spirit level given to me free by screw fix. I first of all try to find a level patch of ground that the van can sit on across the axle and level front to back on the jockey wheel.

Failing that, I set out two ramps spaced at the same pitch as the axles infront of the first wheel of the side to go up. Then drive up and over the first and then to the desired height.

The spirit level is plonked on the trim band on the outside of the van for both side and front to back levelling. Only takes 10 mins to get van sitting level and then on goes the kettle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts