Licence upgrade training and test

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here and didn't want to start a new thread and stumbled on this one. I am new to caravanning and in the process of searching for a new car and caravan and having fun looking at weights.

As I also have a B licence, am I right in thinking the gross vehicle weight published in a catologue would be the MAM of the car?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a car for a caravan with 1500kg mtplm for under 20k I would love to hear about it! So far looking at the older version of the Korando.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm new here and didn't want to start a new thread and stumbled on this one. I am new to caravanning and in the process of searching for a new car and caravan and having fun looking at weights.

As I also have a B licence, am I right in thinking the gross vehicle weight published in a catologue would be the MAM of the car?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a car for a caravan with 1500kg mtplm for under 20k I would love to hear about it! So far looking at the older version of the Korando.

For selection purposes MAM and GVW can be considered the same but the accurate GVW is embossed/printed on a plate on the car.

You don’t say how many berths new or used etc. Best to have a look at the layouts shown in the back of PC mag then go and see some vans. A nice new 2 berth in your budget is the new Adria Altea 462((?) Good payload too.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's not impossible to find a car to tow a 1500 kg MTPLM caravan while staying under the 3500 kg outfit limit for a B licence but such a car's kerbweight will be barely over the caravan's MTPLM, giving a Towing Ratio close to 100% which isn't recommended for beginners.

You'd have more choices by limiting your caravan choice to 1400 kg MTPLM - or taking the +E towing test.

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
Thanks the 1500 figure was just to give some leeway, I was looking at 4 birth with a fixed bed, I've seen a few used that are around the 1400kg mark. Spent 2 days looking at kerb weights and matching to the mtplm that I forgot about the licence requirement of 3500kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

I would be sceptical about figures in a catalogue, Advertising people have been known to get it wrong. Because there is no latitude given on licence categories, with a B licence if the sum of car MAM + Trailer MAM exceeds 3500kg even by just 1 kg your licence is not valid.

The definitive value of the cars MAM is as otherclive suggested in the cars data plate, and the caravans will also be on a stamped plate at the front of the caravan.

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
I would be sceptical about figures in a catalogue, Advertising people have been known to get it wrong. Because there is no latitude given on licence categories, with a B licence if the sum of car MAM + Trailer MAM exceeds 3500kg even by just 1 kg your licence is not valid.

The definitive value of the cars MAM is as otherclive suggested in the cars data plate, and the caravans will also be on a stamped plate at the front of the caravan.
Thanks I will definitely be sure to check the plates on the car when viewing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
in the passengers seat to give them both experience. The hard bit is finding somewhere we can practice reversing etc without getting the way of others. Any ideas of spaces in Wiltshire?
Big county. Blackworth Industrial Park Highworth. Bumpers Farm Industrial Park Chippenham. Both quiet at weekends. But turning up with a caravan could get “security” twitched. You might need to explain that your not planning to set up camp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts