LiFePo4

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
About to spend a week or so in hospital I already knew that because of medication I would be taking I would not be sleeping at nights.

So I needed something to pass the time and decided to plan the installation of a LiFeP04 battery in the caravan, importantly it had to be readily removed and the caravan easily reinstated to factory specification; I can now disconnect just 4 wires and connect them to the original battery, remove all installed Lifepo4 related equipment and all will be back to OEM issue.

The new battery was a little too large for the existing battery box so I placed it in the compartment below the seat adjacent to the battery locker. Original battery removed to save weight, I’m experimenting with a 17 amp battery just to smooth out the 12v sytem when on EHU.

Some tidying up to do and some wiring to be installed to the blade fuse box, I’m going to install a router and Blu-ray\DVD player that can operate on 12v DC, along with other 12v output sockets for IT related equipment.

To compliment the above I have upgraded my solar panel(s) to a more efficient and lightweight portable system.

I’m planning to be self sufficient in power when off-grid, we shall see how it all works out in time :rolleyes: .

Attachments

• thumbnail03.jpeg
    thumbnail03.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail04.jpeg
    thumbnail04.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 23
  • thumbnail05.jpeg
    thumbnail05.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 24
  • thumbnail06.jpeg
    thumbnail06.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Nice job!!
Probably a numpty question, but.......
Why the small battery to "level out" the 12v when on EHU, wouldn't the new battery do that?

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Nice job!!
Probably a numpty question, but.......
Why the small battery to "level out" the 12v when on EHU, wouldn't the new battery do that?
Not a numpty question at all.

I can switch from battery 1 (lead acid) to battery 2 (Lithium), for the most part I don't want the EHU powered on board battery charger feeding my lithium battery (different charging parameters).

I can set accurate parameters for lithium charging via the solar charge controller and via the dedicated Victron battery charger (not shown in pics).
The Victron charger will connect to the Anderson plug that can be seen below the 'Blade' fuse box (when required).

The charger is like this - Victron Charger

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Just to clarify is plan to run off a 280AH LiFeP04 battery off grid and 17AH Gel battery on powered sites?.

You can leave 280Ahr battery permanently hooked up and forgo 17AH.
If you use diode between 280AH battery and caravan 12V battery circuit then inbuilt charger can't charge it. Make sure it is Schottky diode as they have lower voltage drop and heat build up. Over spec it and protect with circuit breaker or fuse that is half its current rating.
At 0.7V drop heat output is 7W at 10A, cheapest heat sink is aluminium plate bent into U shape. That 0.7V varies on temp, current best read diode specs or measure.

From what I've read about MPPT solar charger in your picture the inbuilt LiFeP04 charge profile isn't ideal and may shorten its life. Youtubers use custom profile which they configure using PC. You may want to look into this.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Just to clarify is plan to run off a 280AH LiFeP04 battery off grid and 17AH Gel battery on powered sites?.

You can leave 280Ahr battery permanently hooked up and forgo 17AH.
If you use diode between 280AH battery and caravan 12V battery circuit then inbuilt charger can't charge it. Make sure it is Schottky diode as they have lower voltage drop and heat build up. Over spec it and protect with circuit breaker or fuse that is half its current rating.
At 0.7V drop heat output is 7W at 10A, cheapest heat sink is aluminium plate bent into U shape. That 0.7V varies on temp, current best read diode specs or measure.

From what I've read about MPPT solar charger in your picture the inbuilt LiFeP04 charge profile isn't ideal and may shorten its life. Youtubers use custom profile which they configure using PC. You may want to look into this.
Point No.1 Yes, that is the plan.

Point No.2 As said in post#1, I intend to keep the caravan to original factory issue specification without any alterations to the OEM specifications.
Also to avoid igniting another brain fire and increasing the ambient temperature initiated by Mr Plodd in post#5. :giggle:

Point No. 3 You make a good observation, the Epever 3210AN has customisable charge profiles, I can customise using the Epever app and\or a PC and apply additional controls via the battery BMS.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Never understood electronics! All those wriggly amps, ohms from home, micro farads, capacitators and other such like voodoo
If it goes wrong I check the fuse, and then check power is getting to whatever it is, If they are both OK then I don't have scooby of what to do, so I get a witchdoctor to look at it!
Never even tried knitting, pearls, knits, casting on and off (thought that was fishing?) 2 ply, 4 ply (tyres?) Cable stitch, arran knit and the like, eeeek!,
Mechanical things I am pretty au fait with though.

Reactions: Deejuk
Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
To back up what Mr Plodd said I too have a little brain fire when it comes to electronics. However I am really interested in what you are doing (solar, off grid etc) and how you are going about things, it would be brilliant if when posting stuff like this, just so us numpties understand a little more if more knowledgable people could put a one-liner in as to what the end purpose is of the project.
Now I think I need to find an electonics for numpties book or something or maybe learning knitting would be a better option.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To back up what Mr Plodd said I too have a little brain fire when it comes to electronics. However I am really interested in what you are doing (solar, off grid etc) and how you are going about things, it would be brilliant if when posting stuff like this, just so us numpties understand a little more if more knowledgable people could put a one-liner in as to what the end purpose is of the project.
Now I think I need to find an electonics for numpties book or something or maybe learning knitting would be a better option.
Put this on Fathers Day list. Then you won’t have to watch tv when away. But you could repair the tv if it failed.

IMG_3460.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if the following is what you have in mind Deejuk, I couldn't manage a one-liner :rolleyes:

Here in Scotland there are plenty of lovely places besides lochs and other locations where it is OK to pitch up a caravan, rarely do these spots have much in the way of services and EHU won't be found.

I'm hoping that my new setup will allow me to stay pretty much for as long as I want and not be short of electricity (other than for the microwave - I could power that also but we really do not have a need).

We will continue to use regular sites, however where there is an option, we may not require electricity and its attached premium :p.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts