Light Fingered B's

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I am obviously too trusting - put the van back into storage on the 12th March - went to it yesterday to find that all four wheel covers have 'been removed' - the really annoying part is that when we put them on the wife said "someone will steal these" my reply was not here, we are all the same sort of people !
I was obviously wrong - if anyone sees 4 x White Vinyl & Fabric UV protector wheelcovers for sale on ebay or similar (with a location in the Daventry area) please let me know as I would like a chat with the seller ?
The owner of the farm where we store is also really upset as he feels that someone he trusted has let him down ! - Mind you he tells me that someone has just stolen a new 5 Bar gate from one of his fields so nothing is safe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't think for one minuet that you are safe and immune from theft from fellow campers.

Went out for the day whilst away with our caravan last year, came back and the front locker was wide open, strange I thought could have sworn I had locked it last time I went in for something, smiled and put it down to me getting old and forgetful, got out of the car let the wife into the van went round to the front of the van to close and lock the front locker, and as I looked in it became apparent some thieving so and so had cut the pig tail and helped themselves to my calor lite propane bottle!

No I had not forgot to lock it, the two levers were still in there locked position, I wont disclose how they got in but it is very easy, and luckily no damage was caused.
There had been a motor-home on the pitch next to me and they were with some friends who had a van from the same manufacturer as mine, both Had left the site as it was a Sunday, my theory, on departing the motor-home was pulled across the front of my van so no one could see what they were doing,forced the door open quick cut of the gas pipe and off they went with my bottle.
And this was on a CC site and no one saw a thing!

Now I have beefed up security, there is a 8 zone alarm on board that covers all the external lockers, entrance door, tilt sensor, leg sensor, PIR coverage of the interior, security loop for aqua-roll & wastmaster, SAB siren with strobe light biult in to the external awning light, separate 70 AH back up battery + gsm dial up should the alarm be activated, + the factory fitted tracker.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Reading Topics like this really gets my goat!!!!!!
What gives these god dam moron's the right to steal other peoples property.
I hope they get there come uppence one day, and boy, I do hope they are hit hard!!!!!!!

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I can open my locked front locker without the keys very easily but have always thought that i dont leave anything in there worth stealing... hadnt considered the gas bottle... comes to something when we have to start paddlocking the gas bottle to the van eh!?!

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
After reading these comments I'll only leave the gas bottle in future.No one ever sees a thing.The tow mirrors ect will stay in the boot of the car in future.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
stephena said:
I can open my locked front locker without the keys very easily but have always thought that i dont leave anything in there worth stealing... hadnt considered the gas bottle... comes to something when we have to start paddlocking the gas bottle to the van eh!?!

hi all.
well It's funny you should say that BUT "I do"
as they say in "blue peter " here is a post I made earlier "
hi all,
the problem is towrags are every where even on quite rural sites the best way to protect your stuff is to lock it chain it and keep it out of sight, its a sad world but there it is.

I like some others have said I dont remove the cover from the heater when using only on electric however my approach is sligtly different because I have drilled two small 1/8" holes in the cover one at the top and one at the btm and inserted a couple of self tapping screws it wont stop the cover being removed but does act as a deterent for theives especialy as the screwheads are torx and yes the aquaroll wasehog and step ARE chained to the van once sited and nothing is left in the awning if we go out also ehu cable warter pipe ect are marked with the car no in perminant marker pen,
it doesn't mention the gas bottle in particular BUT it is and so is the battery.???

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
On my pleasant run to work through north Cumbria lately, I noticed the farmers have taken to padlocking the field gates, sheep rustling I thought, on closer inspection the field were empty!! I mentioned this in the pub to a friend, the locks are to stop the `transient fraternity` from stealing the gates!! Sad but true.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We spend a lot of time caravaning on the Isle of Mull, there the locals lock nothing. A walk down Tobermory front and it is not uncommon to see cars with the windows open (when its not raining) and the keys in he ignition. Kids go out to play in the evening and come back when hungery. A different world. Friends there say they have to switch to a different mind set when off island.
I live near Daventry, and there is a road near here where someone has nicked all the roadside grids for about a mile.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
PhilFraeHowMill said:
On my pleasant run to work through north Cumbria lately, I noticed the farmers have taken to padlocking the field gates, sheep rustling I thought, on closer inspection the field were empty!! I mentioned this in the pub to a friend, the locks are to stop the `transient fraternity` from stealing the gates!! Sad but true.
There have been reports of oil being pilfered from farms and isolated houses.One farmer I spoke to said hed had the counterweights pinched off the front of his tractors.There was also a report today of police stopping 2 cars on the M5 and found them to carrying a bootload of lambs.If it aint nailed down.......

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Down here in cider county (Herefordshire), a while back some of our finest tea leaves went to the trouble of nicking road signs for the aluminium content. Even if they burnt off the plastic decal, the shape gave the game away. But they still did it.

I've had folks pinch tyre valve caps, towball covers, and even pick the lock on my car to steal a coat off the back seat while the car was parked at the Blind College in Hereford.

If a slag wants your stuff they'll have a go. But don't be tempted to dishout a slap as they can sue you for their injuries.

When I beefed up security at my factory after a burgulary. I pointed out to the insurance assessor that I'd fitted bars to the skylights. he said that was good, because if Jonny Burglar took a midnight walk on the roof and fell onto our machines below, he could sue me for his injuries. I was absolutely fuming at this comment. But it just shows how stacked in their favor the rights of a criminal are!!!

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just come back from CC site in Bowness on Windermere. During one day my Aquaroll pulling handle went walkabout. It ain't so easy to roll these without the handle as full they weigh 40 Kgs.
Just cost me £12.50 to get a replacement as without it the Aquaroll isn't useable without busting a back muscle or two.
Like others have said, it doesn't really matter where you are or what you have, there will always be somebody who will walk off with anything so no reason to think that ' a small percentage' of caravanners are any different from any other low life.

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
We had our caravan on Fell End near Milnthorpe (8 miles from Kendal) over the winter. We never had anything go missing but speaking to fellow caravaners I know of the following.
1 x table and chair set stolen from an awaning whilst owner out for day
1 x submersible pump stolen whilst owner in bar
3 x aquarolls stolen whilst owners out for day.
numerous parts missing, all these happened within one weekend.
I think the only reason we didnt have anything stolen is the fact I have a large and in the main friendly Rhodesian Ridgeback who enjoys sitting outside the van watching the world go by, oh and his crazy 12 year old springer spaniel mate.

I have been caravaning for years from when I was a kid and these problems never happened, its a sad sign of the times!
You only hope that there are enough of us decent folk about to catch the thieving swines (being polite)

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Caprelous said:
You can bet your bottom dollar if anything goes missing its accountable to the 'Caravan Nomadic Traveler brigade

I can't entirely agree with that statement......whilst I am not sticking up for the section of society you refer to (we have ourselves suffered theft/vandalism that MIGHT be attributed to said persons), it is unlikely to be down to them if the theft occurs whilst on a Club site, e.g. I think it's more the case that, owing to the recession, more and more people have taken up caravanning in recent times, some of whom most likely view it merely as a cheap holiday, rather than the long-term enjoyable hobby and lifestyle of seasoned caravanners who, for the most part, have respect for fellow caravanners and their belongings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the oddest thefts I have come across is cassette from the toilet. This happened on a site in Spain one year, then it happened again at a site in Portugal the year after.
The advice is to keep it locked.

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
Clive-Cardiff - I was told the new cassette toilts are very attractive to scroats as they cost £150 to replace, suppose you wheel it rather than some who carry their previous model type.

Always keep the door locker locked is the answer I suppose.

Dodger

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Caprelous said:
You can bet your bottom dollar if anything goes missing its accountable to the 'Caravan Nomadic Traveler brigade

No sane person would deny that members of the travelling community have been known to steal things but to stereotype all travellers by trying to claim that they are responsible for ALL thefts is wrong and misguided.

We have dealt with the usual stereotypical rants against travellers, gypsies, Muslims, immigrants and anyone else who is not white and Anglo Saxon Christian long ago on this forum and such predjudices should be aired elsewhere because this forum is not a platform for bigots or keyboard warriors.

This is a public access forum open to all and material considered to be offensive is inviarably removed because such material breaches members terms and conditions for the use of this forum
Acronyms which may be interpreted as swear words or swear words abbreviated or altered in any way are also edited or removed because as a public access forum they can be read by anyone and they bring this forum and the good reputation of the Practical Caravan brand into disrepute.

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Couldnt agree more, my parents are in the CC and only go to CC sites, they have heard of alsorts of trouble. I know of one person who had their locker forced and the gas pipe cut the lightweight bottle and attachment were nicked, the thief locked the locker back up afterwards.
Sadly there is a knock on effect with certain types, something of theirs goes missing or they break/ mislay it so they think its ok to take someone elses.
I am wondering about a couple of hiden cameras on my new van! Pity I cant leave the dogs sat outside 24 7.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just doing a few checks before saturday's feparture and noticed the chimney cowl on the roof is missing! It was there last month when I washed the roof.
A new one cost me £10.99 . It is a screw fit so possible the old one unscerewed and fell off or was it nicked
smiley-undecided.gif

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Clive-Cardiff said:
One of the oddest thefts I have come across is cassette from the toilet. This happened on a site in Spain one year, then it happened again at a site in Portugal the year after.
The advice is to keep it locked.

I always lock the door, and leave the toilet flap slightly open.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there will always be people who believe that they have a right to take anything that someone else owns . It does however seem to be more prevalent on Club Sites nowadays - if I could borrow a quote I read elsewhere :
'There are caravanners and there are people who have caravans who stay on caravan sites '

Many years ago I had the gas pipe cut and the bottle stolen but that was outside my house . Thomson Glendale van - so it shows how long ago that was !
I also had a camping trailer stolen off my drive but that was just showing initiative ! They only stole my trailer so they could steal next door's concrete mixer
smiley-laughing.gif

I am now at the stage of writing the car reg on anything stealable , hope it works !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts