Limoges area

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hope I spelt that right, anyway I fancey going there this year.

All I know is that it is the place for porcelain, I will do some hunting but anything that will speed up the process is welcome.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
We stopped at a simply stunning (and inexpensive) gite midway between Limoges and Poitiers.

Limoges itself was very nice, but we found there was little to do without driving considerable distances otherwise and we only spent a week there.

Anyway we`ve been, but won`t be hurrying back to that particular area.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Last September we stayed at Bonnac la Cote, about 12km north of Limoges. A delightful site that is one of the Les Castels family of independant sites that are located in the grounds of chateaus - see www.leychoisier.com and www.les-castels.com. Original intention was just an overnight stop on the way south. The site and area (and weather) were so delightful we extended our stay for over a week. Lots of excellent walking routes available straight from the site and even more just a short drive away. Limoges is obviously very close but we enjoyed the countryside so much we actually didn't bother going into the city.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are in the Limoges area and are interested in the 2nd world war, or even man's inhumanity to man, then a visit to Oradour Sur Glane about 30km to the NW is very sobering. The small village was visited by the SS shortly after D day and the 600 inhabitents slaughtered. The village has been left as it was that day as a permanent reminder.

If I remember rightly we stayed at a site at St Junien which is about 30 km also NW of Limoges.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
We too have stayed at the site at Bonnac which is in the grounds of a chateau with usual facilities plus lake and deer.

Limoge we found a little disappointing as the porcelain was almost entirely tableware.

A visit to Orradour is a stange experience you feel that you are intruding yet at the same time feel that you owe it to those that died to visit them to pay homage to their suffering .If you put the name in google you will find plenty on the place.The slaughter was onJune 10th 4days after the landing in retribution and it seems their were other villages treated the same.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts